GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HKS Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-14, 12:17 AM
dumaGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not enough people willing to shell out high 4 digits to 5 digits for a S/C that is why they won't do it in the US.
Old 12-01-14, 01:03 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
Yeah something is preventing development. Surely an IS/GS solution for the 2GR-FSE would sell in reasonably numbers. Was it that Apexi just couldn't do it for some reason, or is does the engine have problems (ECU, pistons, whatever)?

That is the part I would love to know from the failed Apexi attempt. If I toss on an HKS supercharger, will I run into the same problems? At this point, I probably would only consider it with a full internals upgrade and at that price, I might as well trade for a GS-F and start tuning it instead.
I'm not 100% positive, but I would guess the limitations are on the tuning side. It's easy to put a piggy back ECU in there using a custom harness, but as far as I know, there is no piggy back ECU that can manage port and direct injection at the same time. Going with a complete stand alone ECU would not be practical because the factory ECU integrates so much of this car.

The ideal situation is to be able to tune using the factory ECU. That way, the car retains everything.

Full internals might be overkill, but it really depends on how much boost one wants to run and how hard the car is beaten on. Daily racing from light to light is obviously different than only using boost occasionally.

I was able to get a reliable 450-500 Hp output from the 12:1 compression engine in my last car using stock internals, so it can definitely be done using low boost.
Old 12-01-14, 02:00 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrycs
I'm not 100% positive, but I would guess the limitations are on the tuning side. It's easy to put a piggy back ECU in there using a custom harness, but as far as I know, there is no piggy back ECU that can manage port and direct injection at the same time. Going with a complete stand alone ECU would not be practical because the factory ECU integrates so much of this car.

The ideal situation is to be able to tune using the factory ECU. That way, the car retains everything.

Full internals might be overkill, but it really depends on how much boost one wants to run and how hard the car is beaten on. Daily racing from light to light is obviously different than only using boost occasionally.

I was able to get a reliable 450-500 Hp output from the 12:1 compression engine in my last car using stock internals, so it can definitely be done using low boost.
If it is ECU - someone will figure it out eventually especially since the IS has the same engine basically so the volume is probably there to do it.
Old 12-01-14, 03:16 PM
terrycs
Instructor

If it is ECU - someone will figure it out eventually especially since the IS has the same engine basically so the volume is probably there to do it.
I wouldn't hold my breath. As much as I wish this would happen, Toyota / Lexus have ECUs that have been historically difficult to hack and program.
Old 12-01-14, 03:20 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by dumaGS
Not enough people willing to shell out high 4 digits to 5 digits for a S/C that is why they won't do it in the US.
For sure it'll be 5 digits for turn key forced induction. I'd be shocked if a reputable company released one for anything less.
Old 12-01-14, 04:32 PM
tknx
Pole Position

I thought about it more - wasn't the Apexi shown in conjunction with Toyota? So presumably they had their blessing and access to the ECU?
Old 12-01-14, 07:18 PM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I thought about it more - wasn't the Apexi shown in conjunction with Toyota? So presumably they had their blessing and access to the ECU?
Nope!! wish they did
Old 12-02-14, 08:44 AM
tknx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by biggame
Nope!! wish they did
So then, how does the Crown Athlete's ECU differ from the GS? Since the Tom's/Modellista is definitely done with their benediction.
Old 12-03-14, 03:32 PM
terrycs
Instructor

So then, how does the Crown Athlete's ECU differ from the GS? Since the Tom's/Modellista is definitely done with their benediction.
Not quite ... HKS has their own tuning solution that does not utilize the factory ECU. From the HKS spec sheet, they basically used a piggy back ECU with a "different program". I'm familiar with the F-CON iS, but does anyone know what the added OSC is or does?
Old 12-03-14, 04:38 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by terrycs
Not quite ... HKS has their own tuning solution that does not utilize the factory ECU. From the HKS spec sheet, they basically used a piggy back ECU with a "different program". I'm familiar with the F-CON iS, but does anyone know what the added OSC is or does?
Well Modellista is a division of Toyota, and they are reselling the Tom's supercharger for the Mark X...
Old 12-10-14, 04:11 PM
terrycs
Instructor

http://www.rhdjapan.com/hks-gt-super...21-grs184.html
Old 12-11-14, 04:04 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That site says it's ¥583,958, using a currency converter that's about $4,906.58 USD. Can that really be right?
Old 12-12-14, 09:36 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by blacksun

That site says it's ¥583,958, using a currency converter that's about $4,906.58 USD. Can that really be right?
Let us know after you place your order!

Price for parts sound about right for some tubing, a single compressor and ECU. It's the custom fab and tune that jacks the price up. And this is also assuming power levels are not outrageous enough to require additional supporting mods.