GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Crazy question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-14, 01:07 PM
kamauxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy question...

I've been in the market for a used 4GS for a couple weeks now. I've checked all the usual spots (autotrader, cars.com, carmax, eBay) and been to every substantial local dealer's used car lot and it appears there isn't a used 2013-15 4GS in my price/mileage range within 350 miles of my location. (Interestingly my mother has been working for Toyota/Lexus financial at their cooperate office for 23 years and she is absolutely no help)

I've read the reviews, watched the videos, did the research, but haven't even sat in one, let alone been on a test drive.

In the past when I've faced this issue I've simply hopped on a plane, bought the car, and drove it back. (4 times since 2009 I've done this with good results) I even bought a Corvette Z06 off eBay in 2010 and had it shipped to me from 1k miles away. I also had a Camaro Z28 shipped to me in a similar fashion and when I received the car I realized the dealer left a crack in one of the windows and I spent the next few days drying interior pieces and getting rid of the smell.

Presently it's very difficult for me to get away from work for more than a few days at a time so flying/driving is out of the question.

So, as the title states, crazy question: knowing what you all know about how the car feels and drives, would you buy a low mileage GS off the internet and have it shipped to you if the dealer was reputable, the carfax/autocheck clean, and you had pics/videos of every inch of the car?
Old 11-23-14, 01:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I would not - but that's just me...

Edit: If I did buy the car sight-unseen, the car would have to be a CPO from a Lexus dealership.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-23-14 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 02:19 PM
TonyCarson
Rookie

I had car delivered from So Cal to Nor Cal, had seller send video of exterior and interior stating my name, and had tons of photos and info sent. It was a lease buyout, he had a 3 year lease and wanted out after 1 year because the payment and some personal things that came up.

It is definitely a gamble, worked for us though. Had a few rock chips I hadn't seen but other than that was better than I had expected. The interior on these things are on another level.
Old 11-23-14, 03:21 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Its hard to find used 4GSs because its in high demand. Seriouly lexus hit a home run with this car and all ot takes is one test drive and you will be In love. My cousin bought a 2013 GS350 fsport. I test drive his car and fell in love and went out and bought myself a 2014 GS 350 Luxury. Normaly i would never buy same car that another family member drives. The GS is that good!
Old 11-23-14, 04:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Here are a number of GS 350 CPOs at DFW dealerships.

Park Place Lexus - Grapevine GS 350 CPO

Park Place Lexus - Plano GS 350 CPO

Sewell Lexus - Dallas GS 350 CPO

Sewell Lexus - Fort Worth GS 350 CPO
Old 11-23-14, 04:41 PM
thholr
Rookie

Why not go test drive a new one so that you get an idea of what it drives and feels like. Not much has changed so it will feel the same. ( assuming you have a lexus dealership near you ) . I would not buy one without having driven one. If you like it then I think buying one from a reputable dealership is not too bad an idea. But you will not know what the overall condition is exactly.
Old 11-23-14, 08:38 PM
Fsmile
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kamauxx
I've been in the market for a used 4GS for a couple weeks now. I've checked all the usual spots (autotrader, cars.com, carmax, eBay) and been to every substantial local dealer's used car lot and it appears there isn't a used 2013-15 4GS in my price/mileage range within 350 miles of my location. (Interestingly my mother has been working for Toyota/Lexus financial at their cooperate office for 23 years and she is absolutely no help)

I've read the reviews, watched the videos, did the research, but haven't even sat in one, let alone been on a test drive.

In the past when I've faced this issue I've simply hopped on a plane, bought the car, and drove it back. (4 times since 2009 I've done this with good results) I even bought a Corvette Z06 off eBay in 2010 and had it shipped to me from 1k miles away. I also had a Camaro Z28 shipped to me in a similar fashion and when I received the car I realized the dealer left a crack in one of the windows and I spent the next few days drying interior pieces and getting rid of the smell.

Presently it's very difficult for me to get away from work for more than a few days at a time so flying/driving is out of the question.

So, as the title states, crazy question: knowing what you all know about how the car feels and drives, would you buy a low mileage GS off the internet and have it shipped to you if the dealer was reputable, the carfax/autocheck clean, and you had pics/videos of every inch of the car?
Where are you located? PM me and we can talk about it..