GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY Brake Pads Change Post? 2013 GS AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-14, 10:40 AM
Rino1313
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Brake Pads Change Post? 2013 GS AWD

I searched, but didn't see anything. I'm about to change the brake pads on my 2013 GS AWD and was hoping for a little guidance (anything out of the ordinary before I start?). I can't wait to get pads with lower dust on! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-14, 01:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Old 11-24-14, 01:09 PM
rcsail
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Brake pads

I had the front brake squeal on my 08 GS. Replaced the front pads, as was recommended on the
03 gen GS site, with Akebono Pro Act ceramic pads (part no ACT1118). Also used copious
brake lube on/between shims. Was very happy with this pad and no more front brake noise.
I believe the 2013 GS uses same front pad as 08. Check Tire Rack= cost should be $57.
So I finally got my 08 GS running quiet only to trade it 2 weeks ago for a 2013 GS. I see others
have had the brake squeal with their 13 GS' which is disappointing.
Replacing front pads is easy job if rotors are in good shape.
Old 02-21-16, 07:11 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Can anyone confirm that the process for the rear pads and rotors shown in these videos is the same for 4gen as the 3gen in the video? I saw in another thread where someone confirmed that the front pad process is the same but I haven't seen anything on rear pads and rotors.

I need to replace my rear pads and rotors and I'd like to DIY with OEM rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. Have never done a brake job before so I'm a bit hesitant because... well, I like my car to stop. If anyone has any advice or knows of any newer/better vids or any vids specifically for the 4gen I would appreciate it!

Also, I think I saw someone post a link on here to a Toyota site where you can pay $15 to view different parts of the service manual. Would that include brake jobs, and if so, what is that site? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CottageChz; 02-21-16 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 11:50 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Anyone? I've searched the 4gen GS forums and don't really see an answer to this.
Old 02-24-16, 05:07 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

GS and IS are very similar designs.
3GS and 4GS are very similar too.
I do know that 3GS and 4GS Luxury front pads are exactly the same part numbers, and their front calipers look exactly the same.
From my memory, 2IS front calipers look the same as GS front calipers.
Meanwhile 3GS and 4GS rear calipers look different, and I'm not sure if rear brake pads are exactly the same part numbers.
However, the concept of assembling the rear calipers should be very similar.

This current model 3IS rear brake pad video directly below has rear calipers that look exactly the same as 4GS rear calipers:

Other relevant rear brake pad videos:

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-24-16 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 09:31 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Thanks for all the info! I know this job is not supposed to be that hard... I have just never done it before so I'm a little worried about messing it up. I will definitely watch these videos. Figure I can probably save around $250-300 by doing this myself, plus it's something I'd like to know how to do.
Old 02-25-16, 10:11 AM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The front pad job might be just like any other car. The rear might be a different story. Does the 3GS have the electronic parking brake? I know when I had my 05 Audi A8 it had the electronic parking brake and a tool(VAG-Com) had to be use to tell the caliber to go in and out. Some have done it without the tool with success but you risk the chance of breaking the motor.

Im looking more into it unless someone can say they actually done the job on the rear.
Old 02-25-16, 10:12 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

I have read that you just have to make sure that the auto feature on the parking brake is not on. That and I assume you would want to have the brake disengaged?
Old 03-25-16, 11:04 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Changed my rear pads and rotors tonight. It was extremely simple. Took me just over two hours, and this was my first time ever doing a brake job. I had a friend who has done a couple brake jobs help me. I used Akebono ceramic pads.

The videos in this thread are good, but the rear rotor pad change from the 3GS does not match the 4GS. The 4GS is different, but even simpler. You install clips on the pads and they clip right into the calipers. There is no dual pin setup like the 3GS video shows. The rotor procedure, however, is identical.

Also, I don't think the electronic parking brake should pose any problem. Some people have seemed concerned about this. It was no problem for me, at least. I do not personally use the auto feature, but it seems prudent do disable the auto feature and engage the parking brake yourself when and only when you want it while you are doing this procedure. I imagine you could run into a problem removing the rotor if the parking brake is engaged, which could possibly damage it. What I did was put on the parking brake when I was loosening the lug nuts and removing the wheel, then released the parking brake for the rest of the procedure. Once I got to the point of tightening the lug nuts to torque spec (had them on relatively tight already), I reapplied the parking brake. Seemed to work for me and my parking brake still functions normally.

Here are a couple pictures with the caliper and rotor removed. As you can see, it looks like the emergency brake is a drum brake on the inside of the rotor. I did not take a picture of the caliper... or with the rotor on... should have... oops.