Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Surprised Discount Tire doesn't carry Michelin Primacy P235/45R18 tires in-stock

Old 11-22-14, 06:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Default Surprised Discount Tire doesn't carry Michelin Primacy P235/45R18 tires in-stock

I almost always buy my tires at Discount Tire because I like their prices, warranty, price matching, customers services (free rotation & balancing and tire repairs), the use of Hunter GSP9700 'Road Force' balancing machines, and their proper lug tightening and torque technique. I just searched their website for Michelin Primacy MXM4 P235/45R18 tires and they are not a stocked tire - they are noted as 'special order'. I couldn't believe it! I realize they can get the tires 'same day' or 'next day', but their stores have many hundreds of tire brands and sizes in stock.

I have numerous Discount Tire locations nearby and live in the Dallas suburb (Plano) with the largest Lexus dealership in the U.S. (and also the largest BMW dealership in the U.S.), so I know it's a pretty common tire size for numerous high-end brand cars. That's hard to believe that none of the Discount Tire locations around here carry this tire in their stock... NTB doesn't carry them either...

I can have my local Discount Tire 'special order' the tires (same day or next day availability) and with TPMS rebuild kits and sales tax pay $834.70 out-the-door minus $70 mail-in rebate = $764.70. Or, I can have my local Lexus dealer (Park Place Lexus of Plano) install the exact same Michelin Primacy tires, which they carry in their stock for $1,146.08 minus $70 mail-in rebate = $1,076.08

I don't mind paying a small premium to my Lexus dealer, but I certainly don't care to pay my Lexus dealer a $311 premium for the exact same product and service.

Anyway, I am very surprised that Discount Tire (with nearly 1,000 stores in 28 states) doesn't carry this rather popular tire in stock, especially in my local area with all the high-end cars (Lexus, BMW, M-B, Infinity, Porsche, Jaguar, Ferrari, Maserati, etc.) in my Zip Code.

Where do you guys buy your tires? And are your size tires in-stock or do they need to be specially ordered?

Last edited by bclexus; 11-22-14 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 06:32 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The name DISCOUNT tires says it all. The demographic of people that shop at such place is attracted by the name Discount so they have to carry more tire type best suited for its customers. Discount meaning cheap, inexpensive, value, and afordability. Michelins are much more expensive than say General brand tires or chinese tires.

Just order a set of michelins and bring it to your favorate shop and have them put it on. Or better yet have then order it themselves. Michelin Primacy MXM4 are the most popular tires sold at my Lexus dealer. I know this because i have a friend that works there as a master tech.

By the way i just had lexus installed Michelin Primacy MXM4s and they are awesome. Very smooth and quite but just as grippy as oem Dunlops maby even better. Wet traction was excellent and snow traction was pretty good but not the best.
Old 11-22-14, 06:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
The name DISCOUNT tires says it all. The demographic of people that shop at such place is attracted by the name Discount so they have to carry more tire type best suited for its customers. Discount meaning cheap, inexpensive, value, and afordability. Michelins are much more expensive than say General brand tires or chinese tires.

Just order a set of michelins and bring it to your favorate shop and have them put it on. Or better yet have then order it themselves. Michelin Primacy MXM4 are the most popular tires sold at my Lexus dealer. I know this because i have a friend that works there as a master tech.

By the way i just had lexus installed Michelin Primacy MXM4s and they are awesome. Very smooth and quite but just as grippy as oem Dunlops maby even better. Wet traction was excellent and snow traction was pretty good but not the best.
You are very mistaken about what the store name implies. You may want to do some research! I've used Discount Tire in different states and they are top-notch. You would not believe the people with high-end cars (Jag, M-B, BMW, Infinity, Lexus, McLaren, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche Turbo, Bentley, etc.) that use the Discount Tire location near me.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-22-14 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 06:48 PM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i use america's tire (discount tire for us californians) for all my cars. im a big fan of their road hazard insurance that include rotations, and balancing for the life of the tire. came in real handy with the run flats on the bimmer that are rather costly, and my 2 day old tire on my mazda that attracted a large bolt in the middle of the tread. its hard to keep every tire in every size in stock. sometimes they have had what i needed, other times they have had to order it. hot tip, they will price match any major retailer. saved a bundle doing this on my last set for the bimmer.
Old 11-22-14, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Yeah I agree, Discount Tire has extensive stock, its a "discount" tire retailer like TireRack is a discount tire retailer.
Old 11-22-14, 08:13 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rest assured, tirerack.com is far better to buy tires from then discountire. None of our discount tire chain have good stock nor do they do a great job in road force balancing on any of my european or japanese luxury cars. I go to special tirerack recommended installer that have better expertise at the hunter road force machine and do not waste time trying to get the customer out of the door quick as possible like discount tire. I only take a discount car to discount tire.

GO to :
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=AWD

And buy your tires now and get them in 2 days.
Old 11-23-14, 08:49 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
The name DISCOUNT tires says it all. The demographic of people that shop at such place is attracted by the name Discount so they have to carry more tire type best suited for its customers. Discount meaning cheap, inexpensive, value, and afordability.

Old 11-23-14, 09:53 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget Walmart for tires. They'll price match Tire Rack's PRE-SHIPPING price, will special order the tires at no charge and with no obligation to purchase, will install them (perfectly IF you develop a relationship with a tech), and will provide lifetime rotation AND balancing (many places only provide rotation at no cost). Best of all, with the Walmart road hazard coverage, you get no-questions-asked NATIONAL coverage at any Walmart (and there's ALWAYS a Walmart around). Lowest price, competent installation, gold-plated national service. What's not to like?
Old 11-23-14, 10:52 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think 235 is that common, and it doesn't make much sense to carry overhead on something that doesn't sell often.
Old 11-23-14, 10:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Vehicle List that may use 235/45R18 tires

I do not know if this is an accurate list, but if even 1/4 of the listed vehicles use the tire I would think it should be stocked.
Old 11-23-14, 04:04 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Aren't Premier A/S replacing those in their line?
Old 11-23-14, 04:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tknx
Aren't Premier A/S replacing those in their line?
I don't think so. The Primacy MXM4 94V has been a very popular tire for Michelin.
Old 11-23-14, 06:54 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Might try Costco.
Old 11-23-14, 07:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jkeller
Might try Costco.
I'm not a member of Costco, and really don't care to be. Plus, I find that places like Costco, Sams, Walmart, etc. are usually not the best place to have work done on a car, especially high-end, expensive cars. I've heard way too many complaints about those places leaving a gasket off oil filters, messing-up alignments, warping rotors by over-tightening one wheel lug instead of using the 'Star' method and a torque wrench, etc., etc. Those places are usually full of new hires with no experience. I always stay away from them.
Old 11-23-14, 10:50 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm not a member of Costco, and really don't care to be. Plus, I find that places like Costco, Sams, Walmart, etc. are usually not the best place to have work done on a car, especially high-end, expensive cars. I've heard way too many complaints about those places leaving a gasket off oil filters, messing-up alignments, warping rotors by over-tightening one wheel lug instead of using the 'Star' method and a torque wrench, etc., etc. Those places are usually full of new hires with no experience. I always stay away from them.
(1) You could just buy the tires there and go elsewhere
(2) CostCo actually typically has long-term employees, they actually treat their workers pretty humanely
(3) None of this means their car services are any good, I have no idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Surprised Discount Tire doesn't carry Michelin Primacy P235/45R18 tires in-stock