GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sunglasses Holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 01:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Default Sunglasses Holder

I really hate the GS 350 doesn't have a sunglasses holder. And keeping sunglasses in the glove box, console or door pocket is cumbersome and not ideal. I'm trying to figure out the best and most convenient place to keep sunglasses that I can grab easily and quickly...like I'm used to doing from a dedicated sunglasses holder in the roof console. Which begs the question - where do you keep your sunglasses?

Has anyone replaced the driver's side grab handle (which is useless) with a sunglasses holder? Volvo has an optional sunglasses holder that replaces the useless driver's side grab handle. I haven't checked yet but it might could be used without too much problem. It sure would be in a convenient place! It's only available in three colors however, with black (which I would need) not being available, but I would suspect it could be painted any color you wished.

Anyway, here is a picture (below) of the optional Volvo sunglasses holder to replace the driver's side grab handle. Has anyone tried this or something similar?

Old 11-19-14, 02:33 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you send a link to where i can buy this?
Old 11-19-14, 02:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Can you send a link to where i can buy this?
It looks like it can be bought from numerous sources. Click HERE see various sources, etc.
Old 11-19-14, 03:05 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Please keep us updated. Looks like a good option. The GS is not as bad as the RX. I keep my shades in the door pocket and I can reach to them comfortably when I'm in the GS but the RX is horrible. I would not be able to reach the bottom of the pocket without having to bend but then if the door is closed, I can't bend. Can't seem to figure out why Lexus dropped this box.

Last edited by 1111GS; 11-19-14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-19-14, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Don't get us started on Lexus' war against sunglass holders LOL. Why there isn't one is absolutely beyond us, theres plenty of room. My 2010 ES had one, 2003 ES had one too. New ES doesn't and obviously neither does the GS.

NOTHING pisses me off more than when I sit in some crummy economy car and there is a sunglass holder. My aunt has a 2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Not only does it have one sunglass holder...it has TWO! I screamed obscenities at Lexus when I saw that (one can be used for a garage door opener, but it is also a sunglass holder):

After months of just putting them in the console, I broke down and got a clip:

Old 11-19-14, 05:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I was hoping maybe someone here had installed the Volvo sunglasses holder (or something similar) in their GS 350 in place of the OEM driver's side grab handle...or knew of someone that had done it. The GS 350 has a scalloped-out area where the grab handle is located just like the Volvo does, however the dimensions and attachment hardware may not be quite the same. But, I suspect it wouldn't be much of a problem to install it in the GS.

It looks like there are numerous different versions of the sunglasses holder (that replaces the grab handle) as shown HERE of the images.
Old 11-19-14, 05:57 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree with y'all. Neither of my cars has one so I keep them in the center console. I looked at a LS recently and it has the overhead compartment. Might be worth the extra $20,000
Old 11-19-14, 05:59 PM
tedbird
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered one from eBay. Hopefully, it won't be too difficult to install in my GS.
Old 11-19-14, 06:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tedbird
I just ordered one from eBay. Hopefully, it won't be too difficult to install in my GS.
Let us know how it goes on mounting, and also on color match (or if you painted it to match).

It looks like one version of the Volvo sunglasses holder does not have a back - in other words it uses the car's roof/ceiling liner as a back. But, another version of the sunglasses holder is fully enclosed, which has a back to it. (I think I'm looking at the pictures right...) Which version did you buy on eBay?

PS - Welcome aboard tedbird! You're new like me!...
Old 11-19-14, 06:39 PM
tedbird
Driver School Candidate

Thanks bclexus! Here is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Volvo-S60-S80-V60-V70-XC60-XC70-V50-C30-S40-Sun-Glass-Holder-OEM-OE-/281390999762?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item418435e8d2&vxp=mtr
I thought the black holder would match best with my black leather interior. I'll let everyone know how I make out. I'm hoping it won't take too long to receive. Sometimes eBay orders take forever to ship.
Old 11-19-14, 07:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I think that's one that uses the roof/ceiling liner as the back instead of having a fully enclosed (with built-in back part) holder. I don't know whether one would be better than the other. Let us know how it goes. Here's the link from Volvo on the item you ordered on eBay.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-19-14 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-19-14, 07:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I understand the older version of the Volvo sunglasses holder is a fully enclosed clamshell whereas the new version has no back and this uses the roof/ceiling liner.

Below is are some different pictures of Hondas (Civics I think) with the Volvo sunglasses holder installed.

Old 11-19-14, 07:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Below is a good picture of the new version Volvo sunglasses holder without a back, therefore it uses the roof/ceiling liner as its back. In other words, this holder is not a fully enclosed case.

Below are two different pictures of a fully enclosed case version.

(Note: I think the first picture (directly below) is of a vintage 2004 (or there about) Volvo S40 sunglasses holder - Volvo accessory (Part # 8685619) in the color 'quartz' only.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-19-14 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-19-14, 10:28 PM
tknx
Pole Position

I don't love the handle sunglass holder, I'd be more tempted to just attach a case to the front of the console to keep the interior lines clean.

But if I did do that, I wouldn't paint it - I'd get some matching leather and line it so it stays luxe.
Old 11-20-14, 06:06 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I really hate the GS 350 doesn't have a sunglasses holder. And keeping sunglasses in the glove box, console or door pocket is cumbersome and not ideal. I'm trying to figure out the best and most convenient place to keep sunglasses that I can grab easily and quickly...like I'm used to doing from a dedicated sunglasses holder in the roof console. Which begs the question - where do you keep your sunglasses?

Has anyone replaced the driver's side grab handle (which is useless) with a sunglasses holder? Volvo has an optional sunglasses holder that replaces the useless driver's side grab handle. I haven't checked yet but it might could be used without too much problem. It sure would be in a convenient place! It's only available in three colors however, with black (which I would need) not being available, but I would suspect it could be painted any color you wished.

Anyway, here is a picture (below) of the optional Volvo sunglasses holder to replace the driver's side grab handle. Has anyone tried this or something similar?

ahaha, I almost did not buy the car bc it did not have them. I have 2-3 pairs of sunglasses in my car on ay given day, the lack of compartments in the GS is just killing me. I had an Acura before, and it had so many compartments, I had place for everything in it, I even had a place for a gun. In the GS, I only keep one 2 pairs of glasses, one I keep in the little tray under the ARM rest, the other I keep in the cup holder.

Quick Reply: Sunglasses Holder