GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Base GS versus Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 08:44 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been in a 1-2 yo low mileage Genesis as a passenger and was duly impressed. The seats were soft and the ride was quiet. Unfortunately, JD Power pans it and doesn't recommend it. I was surprised, but I generally trust their data.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 11-30-14 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-30-14, 09:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Actually the outgoing Genesis is rated best in class by JD Power. Above even the GS.

http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Hy...Sedan/index.ht
Old 11-30-14, 10:11 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The '10-11 Genesis rate poorly for predicted reliability by JD Power (2 out of 5). The '13-14 rate slightly better at average (3 out of 5).

The '13 and 14 rated well for initial quality, but that's just the first 90 days of ownership. I don't put as much weight on that in comparison to their dependability study for 3 years of ownership.

For those keeping notes at home, the '13 GS scores 4 out of 5 for predicted reliability.

What am I missing? My iPad didn't like your link.

For what it's worth, the Gensis scores very well on Consumer Reports. However, I don't see that it's recommended.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 11-30-14 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-30-14, 10:43 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

When all is said and done, it's still a Hyundai.

No matter what the badge looks like.
Old 12-01-14, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by islandbeef
When all is said and done, it's still a Hyundai.

No matter what the badge looks like.
True...and that truly is one of the only negatives.

Here's my dilemma. I don't want a Hyundai either. This is a luxury purchase and I work hard to be able to make it, I want something I'm going to "want" to have and drive. Brand is a part of that, always has been and always will be.

Its one thing to say "Okay, this Genesis is pretty much as good as the Lexus, its cheaper" and make a decision to pay more to have the Lexus. BUT...after having driven the Genesis, I think it actually drives better than the Lexus. Its another thing to pay more and get less for the brand.

I probably still will...but the Genesis is a GREAT car.
Old 12-01-14, 09:34 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

They're coming fast, aren't they? I remember reading your comments about the genessis not too long ago. IMO the front and interior look nice. I still prefer the gs interior though. And on the road for some reasons the tail lights look a bit too small for its body. Like someone mentioned it's still a Hyundai regardless. Some day I will accept it as I accepted Samsung TVs. But now it's not that time yet.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 10:12 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow . . . . $55.7 for a Hyundai? I'd take the '13/'14 pre-owned LS for around the same cheese. I say this after owning the 1st gen V8 Genesis. Nice car, but no Lexus!
Old 12-01-14, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I still prefer the gs interior though.
So do I, but the interior in the Genesis is nice, wouldn't turn me away.

Originally Posted by moose66
Wow . . . . $55.7 for a Hyundai? I'd take the '13/'14 pre-owned LS for around the same cheese. I say this after owning the 1st gen V8 Genesis. Nice car, but no Lexus!
You can't compare pricing to used cars. If you do that nothing is worth any price because you can always get a better car a couple years older for the same.

I liked the last gen Genesis, but the new Genesis is WORLDS better. You should drive one. The only Lexus that rides and drives better is the LS, and not by much. Its better riding, quieter, and more refined on the road than the GS. Now, the GS is nimbler and sportier, the Genesis isn't a sport sedan. But for the sort of car I like, the Genesis is the better car.

But...its a Hyundai...
Old 12-02-14, 07:56 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I own 4 Samsung televisions; 1 plasma, and 3 LED-LCD.
The Samsung plasma is fractionally inferior to the Panasonic, and likewise the Samsung LED-LCD fractionally inferior to the Sonies, but I purchased the 4x Samsungs due to their slightly superior exterior styling.

Anyhow, I test drove the Genesis recently.
It has great size, outside and inside, is very powerful, smooth, very smooth and quiet riding, and very well equipped.

The Genesis nose is quite attractive, and the interior reasonably attractive.
The Genesis 4x ***** for left and right temperature, and left lower **** for power and volume, and right lower **** for tuning is excellent!
If I was blind folded, I could feel my way through the *****.
With push button temperature control, I wouldn't know which button to press.
My wife's IS250 F Sport has a temperature sliding control which takes up an unnecessary amount of space, and if I was blind folded, it would be difficult, [though not impossible] to find the slider.

However, on the downside, I thought the Genesis biggest Achille's Heel was the plain exterior rear end styling, boring interior styling, and the handling.
The fast back rear end looks so let down.
The interior looks so down.
The handling is too heavy, and not sharp at all.
The handling suffers more from steering feel and agility [rapid changes in direction], rather than from outright grip on the skidpan.
I found the 8 speed auto tranny to lurch on sudden up changes.

Overall, I would still have to stick to the GS350 as my next buy.
Those individuals who want outright style and handling will have to steer towards the C300.
While those who want outright size and comfort best steer towards the Genesis.

My friend tells me to purchase the C300 for style and handling, and he says don't get the GS350 because it is poorly styled, and poor handling in comparison to the C300.
Having driven the Genesis, now I know what questionable styling, and questionable handling is.
The GS350 actually sits between the C300 and the Genesis.
The GS350 borrows a bit of the C300 styling and handling.
The GS350 also borrows a bit from the Genesis in terms of space, comfort, and luxury.
Between the C300 and the Genesis, the GS350 is actually the best alrounder, but king of nothing.
That's just my opinion anyway....

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-02-14 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 05:56 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if the the Genesis is as good, which I doubt, it's a Hyundai and I'm willing to bet the resale value wont come close to the Lexus.
PS....I purchase a Samsung TV after my Sony crapped out after 2yrs. There may be a message there about brand. I'll still go with the Lexus.
Old 12-03-14, 07:52 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

That car looks awful. Very ricey.
Old 12-03-14, 10:00 AM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as a warning - Genesis has a much higher TCO than the sticker because its mileage is pretty poor.

I don't think there is anything "ricey" about the current design, it looks like a rip-off of Audi basically. The GS, with its crazy front end is probably more ricey. I like it, but if I wanted low key, the Hyundai would be less out there.
Old 12-03-14, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coach1
Even if the the Genesis is as good, which I doubt, it's a Hyundai and I'm willing to bet the resale value wont come close to the Lexus.
PS....I purchase a Samsung TV after my Sony crapped out after 2yrs. There may be a message there about brand. I'll still go with the Lexus.
Again, don't take my review lightly. I've been a Lexus owner continuously for 16 years, and the Genesis is in fact as good, in some ways better.

Resale won't be nearly as good no, but the 4GS hasn't had great resale value either.

The new Genesis may seriously be my next car.
Old 12-03-14, 07:25 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the new Genesis. I probably wouldn't buy it, but I like it. Somewhere there's a cool commercial where there's a line of genesis' following each other without drivers. It's a cool vid and a pretty hot car. It looks kinda like a 7 series in the front (which I'm a huge fan of looks wise).
Old 12-03-14, 08:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Again, don't take my review lightly. I've been a Lexus owner continuously for 16 years, and the Genesis is in fact as good, in some ways better.

Resale won't be nearly as good no, but the 4GS hasn't had great resale value either.

The new Genesis may seriously be my next car.
Okay, your posts have made me want to go test drive one.

Quick Reply: Base GS versus Hyundai Genesis