GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cruising Range Below 0 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 01:36 PM
ohsown
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Ive actually tested this theory on my GS with my cousin a few weeks ago. I took a portable gas container and filled it up to full which is a good 2 gallons. My car was almost empty but still showed about 3 miles till empty. We drove around running errands and when the range meter hit zero miles till empty I reset the trip meter to zero and continued our errands. I hit the 54.6miles mark when my car started to hesitate. I pulled over immediatly, parked the car at whole foods and opened the trunk to grab the portable gas container and to my surprised it was not there. Apparently after filling up that gas container my cousin forgot to put it in my trunk while I was paying for it inside the station. We drove off without it and some lucky guy got 2 free gallons of premium gas.

But luckily we were not far from the nearest gas station and walked about one mile to get some gas and drove to the gas station and filled her up to about 14.9 gallons,(plus 2 gallons from the container) thats when the pump went click. I could possible put in another half gallon into the tank if I tried. Well after an amusing afternoon at least we learned that we can drive about 54 miles before really being empty.
Are you guys in the "hilly" part of Tennessee?
Old 11-17-14, 01:44 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Ive actually tested this theory on my GS with my cousin a few weeks ago. I took a portable gas container and filled it up to full which is a good 2 gallons. My car was almost empty but still showed about 3 miles till empty. We drove around running errands and when the range meter hit zero miles till empty I reset the trip meter to zero and continued our errands. I hit the 54.6miles mark when my car started to hesitate. I pulled over immediatly, parked the car at whole foods and opened the trunk to grab the portable gas container and to my surprised it was not there. Apparently after filling up that gas container my cousin forgot to put it in my trunk while I was paying for it inside the station. We drove off without it and some lucky guy got 2 free gallons of premium gas.

But luckily we were not far from the nearest gas station and walked about one mile to get some gas and drove to the gas station and filled her up to about 14.9 gallons,(plus 2 gallons from the container) thats when the pump went click. I could possible put in another half gallon into the tank if I tried. Well after an amusing afternoon at least we learned that we can drive about 54 miles before really being empty.
Thanks for a good laugh and good to know. I always refill when it gets to 1/4 low but it's great to know about this. One time I didn't pay attention and was low on a Sienna filled with in laws members! It was dark and on freeway too. I was so glad I found a gas station a few exits down. My wife wondered why I looked so tensed.
Old 11-17-14, 01:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

I rarely go below 1/2 tank before I fill-up.
Old 11-17-14, 01:56 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't ever been below 1/4, but it seems like I'm always putting gas in this car. Small tank or bad mpg? Lol
Old 11-17-14, 01:59 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ohsown
Are you guys in the "hilly" part of Tennessee?
No but my name is "Billy"! LoL.
Old 11-17-14, 02:02 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I never go that low.
1/4 tank the lowest for me.

"The gasoline acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail."
It would really have to be down low to make the pump suck in air, it is at the bottom of the tank within baffles. The only time i could see this happening is on high g-force cornering with a couple gallons in the tank. You are being super conservative at 1/4.
Old 11-17-14, 02:06 PM
Chicagi23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good information to know! I have only got to 5 miles till empty, that was as close to empty I could manage without panicking.
Old 11-17-14, 02:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
It would really have to be down low to make the pump suck in air, it is at the bottom of the tank within baffles. The only time i could see this happening is on high g-force cornering with a couple gallons in the tank. You are being super conservative at 1/4.
1/4 tank fill ups aren't an inconvenience to me.

The fuel pump info I quoted was from Consumer Reports.
You're probably right but and it would take more than a couple of times for any problem even if what Consumer Reports reports is correct.
Old 11-17-14, 02:19 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
I haven't ever been below 1/4, but it seems like I'm always putting gas in this car. Small tank or bad mpg? Lol
Oh I'm always at the gas station too!

First 35 miles are good but when that needle starts moving I'm like nooo...
Old 11-17-14, 02:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Oh I'm always at the gas station too!

First 35 miles are good but when that needle starts moving I'm like nooo...
I have a tendency to stuff the last cupful of gas in the tank when I fill-up. Most of the cars I've owned have to be driven about 60 miles before the needle even comes off the full peg...but not the GS. It falls rather quickly... But no necessarily because of poor fuel mileage. I think it's just the way it reads the amount of fuel in the tank.
Old 11-17-14, 03:20 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

LOL AL13N that's the best story I've heard in a while.
Old 11-17-14, 06:30 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes. I've brought it down to 0 an there were still 2 gallons left.
Old 11-17-14, 07:08 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
LOL. It's like an episode of Senfield.
Or the helicopter scene from the movie "And Justice For All" where the judge flies out over the water to the point of no return (1/2 tank left) and then a little bit more and tries, unsuccessfully, to return to shore.

Also, I don't recommend you testing to empty because if you run the tank dry you risk sucking up water (which is heavier than fuel) and fouling up the works.
Old 12-13-14, 08:30 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Or the helicopter scene from the movie "And Justice For All" where the judge flies out over the water to the point of no return (1/2 tank left) and then a little bit more and tries, unsuccessfully, to return to shore.
I absolutely loved that scene...second only to the courtroom finale with Al Paccino's opening statement.

I've gone below zero only once - not planned - I got to the gas station at "-3.0". Good to know that there's a good cushion.

Running it low isn't a good idea because more air in the tank increases the amount of water that can condense, all else being equal.
Old 09-11-18, 06:37 AM
vwattussi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vwattussi

This just happened to me and I was wondering the same thing. When I parked, I noticed that my low fuel light went on and when I checked the mileage, zero is what is shown.
I was just wondering if I can make it to a gas station during my lunch break that is about 1.5 miles?

Quick Reply: Cruising Range Below 0 miles