GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS needs a turbo. When?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 10:48 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS needs a turbo. When?

Yesterday (again) I extensively test drove a GS 350 and an F Sport. I love both cars. Solid feel, hefty steering, luxurious, quiet, good dynamics.
The only thing left me wanting is the engine. Don't get me wrong, it's a great engine with an even better roar, but my 328i (2 liter turbo) pulls so . much . harder from as low as 1,500 rpm.

After test driving the GS I invited the Lexus guy to give my 328i a spin. He was blown away by the engine and the transmission. At 2k rpm the 328i pulls like the GS at 6k. I know some guys like to rev the hell out of their engine, but not me. I'm hooked on turbos, the torque and gas mileage. And you guys must have noticed, I'm not even bringing up BMW's 3 liter engine ...

Any ideas, any rumors about a turbo GS in the future? I understand there's a new 2 liter turbo on the lil' NX. Maybe Lexus is working on a 3 liter turbo as well?
Old 11-16-14, 12:11 PM
ISF*LYF
Driver

Originally Posted by metrathon
Yesterday (again) I extensively test drove a GS 350 and an F Sport. I love both cars. Solid feel, hefty steering, luxurious, quiet, good dynamics.
The only thing left me wanting is the engine. Don't get me wrong, it's a great engine with an even better roar, but my 328i (2 liter turbo) pulls so . much . harder from as low as 1,500 rpm.

After test driving the GS I invited the Lexus guy to give my 328i a spin. He was blown away by the engine and the transmission. At 2k rpm the 328i pulls like the GS at 6k. I know some guys like to rev the hell out of their engine, but not me. I'm hooked on turbos, the torque and gas mileage. And you guys must have noticed, I'm not even bringing up BMW's 3 liter engine ...

Any ideas, any rumors about a turbo GS in the future? I understand there's a new 2 liter turbo on the lil' NX. Maybe Lexus is working on a 3 liter turbo as well?
Us F-Sport owners have a better chance of the Beatles getting back together than a turbo going live for the GS. Sorry to say.
Old 11-16-14, 02:32 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Toyota/Lexus seems to like to stay N/A for their engines.
Old 11-16-14, 04:00 PM
bocahoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Toyota/Lexus seems to like to stay N/A for their engines.
So did BMW until 2007. Now I'm not sure if they even offer a non-FI engine. Lexus/Toyota are going to have to turn to forced induction if they want to remain competitive. BMW, MB, Audi, and Cadillac all offer turbo/supercharged six cylinder engines (in addition to turbo V8's). The GS v6 just doesn't compare for everyday driving. If you keep the revs up, the GS engine pulls strong, but at low RPMs the engine is pretty weak.
Old 11-16-14, 05:19 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

A turbo will transform this car from great to amazing. I'm gonna dump the 3 and get the GS anyway, but I'm just saying.
Old 11-16-14, 07:04 PM
tknx
Pole Position

I expect we will see stuff later, once these cars start coming out of warranty period and people start looking/trying IS/Crown kits.

Right now there are a fair number of superchargers for the Crown Athleta and IS350, and I expect they would work with minor changes on the GS. 2GR-FSE - a quick google reveals mixed messages about it, I couldn't find an example of one, but there very well may be.

Basically, nobody has really pulled the trigger on doing it, so nobody knows. Go for it and report back.
Old 11-16-14, 07:07 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Never mind - a quick scan revealed twin turbos being discussed here:
http://www.speedhunters.com/2010/06/...1_lexus_gs350/

So it apparently can be done and is being done - I'd honestly suggest reaching out to Mori, I've found people are very responsive with a polite email and an apology that you don't speak Japanese (unless you happen to).
Old 11-16-14, 07:12 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bocahoo
So did BMW until 2007. Now I'm not sure if they even offer a non-FI engine. Lexus/Toyota are going to have to turn to forced induction if they want to remain competitive. BMW, MB, Audi, and Cadillac all offer turbo/supercharged six cylinder engines (in addition to turbo V8's). The GS v6 just doesn't compare for everyday driving. If you keep the revs up, the GS engine pulls strong, but at low RPMs the engine is pretty weak.
I think one of the reasons is N/A engines are less complicated than turbos and Toyota/Lexus is all about reliability. But that could change cause the NX is already going turbo and hopefully that one won't have a reliability issue. I'd rather have a slower car that is reliable than a fast car that will always break down. After all, that is why we buy Lexus right?
Old 11-17-14, 06:43 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

The Germans are well known for their low end torque. The Japanese have always been about top end high revving power. A turbo won't change that. If anything, there will me turbo lag.
Old 11-17-14, 07:11 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Gs-f with the v8 is coming and will address the lack of power. The RC-F should give you a good idea of how it will perform.
Old 11-17-14, 11:27 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Some say the Europeans are great at innovation, while the Japanese are great at refining those innovations.

Life is a compromise - the more you have of A, the less you will have of B.
So at least the Europeans are great at the speed of innovation, while the Japanese are great at thoroughly refining those innovations.
Thus, the Japanese are slower to develop, but develop more thoroughly for superior reliability.

The Lexus modern day four cylinder 2.0L turbo has finally come.
I think there will be a V6 twin turbo in 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 liters, and even a six cylinder turbo in hybrid gasoline-electric version, but it won't be released till the next generation 2019-2026 5GS, assuming the 7-year model cycle.

The next generation 5GS will certainly have much higher aluminium content than just the bonnet and lower suspension arms, and is set to shave off at least 220 lbs.

There will be GS V8's, but only as a niche model; not as bread and butter models...

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-17-14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-17-14, 12:01 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Some say the Europeans are great at innovation, while the Japanese are great at refining those innovations.

Life is a compromise - the more you have of A, the less you will have of B.
So at least the Europeans are great at the speed of innovation, while the Japanese are great at thoroughly refining those innovations.
Thus, the Japanese are slower to develop, but develop more thoroughly for superior reliability.

The Lexus modern day four cylinder 2.0L turbo has finally come.
I think there will be a V6 twin turbo in 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 liters, and even a six cylinder turbo in hybrid gasoline-electric version, but it won't be released till the next generation 2019-2026 5GS, assuming the 7-year model cycle.

The next generation 5GS will certainly have much higher aluminium content than just the bonnet and lower suspension arms, and is set to shave off at least 220 lbs.

There will be GS V8's, but only as a niche model; not as bread and butter models...
Agree with the Japanese role. But I hope you're wrong with the turbo release date, for everyone's sake I hope it comes sooner. In 4 years the 3.5 engine is going to be antiquated compared to the competition, there's no way they can wait so long.

IS 250 it's already the laughing stock, with 0 - 60 in 8s. That's Chevy Spark territory. I bet we're going to see the 2.0L turbo in the 2016 IS 250.

My guess is a 3.0L twin-turbo in 2017 GS. They nailed everything else, the car is light, nimble and handles as good as a E60 (prev 5 Series) - which says a lot.
Old 11-17-14, 12:14 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

They had a V8 GS 430 before but it wasn't making much more HP and it wasn't selling well so they killed it.
Old 11-17-14, 12:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
IS 250 it's already the laughing stock, with 0 - 60 in 8s. That's Chevy Spark territory. I bet we're going to see the 2.0L turbo in the 2016 IS 250.
The IS250 runs to 60 in about 7.5 seconds, so it's not fast, but not in the 8s, and not nearly as bad as it's often made out to be. With that said, yes, it needs the 2.0T to be more competitive. That will be a welcome change, but most 250 owners pick the 2.5 V6 for its smoothness, not power. Oh, and by the way, a Chevy Spark runs to 60 in 11.0 seconds.

I thought I read, perhaps in the "Future of Lexus" thread in Car Chat, that the rumors of the 3.5L engine in the IS350 and GS350 being replaced with a turbo are running pretty strong. I'll have to revisit the thread.
Old 11-17-14, 12:27 PM
tknx
Pole Position

After some thought, I don't think we will see turbos from Lexus - they have been using hybrids instead of turbos to boost output. I could even see a hybrid 4 cylinder being added the mix. Once the weight is under control, it will be better from a torque perspective since it starts at 0 rpm.

Quick Reply: GS needs a turbo. When?