GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Changing bulbs to led

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-14, 09:51 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Changing bulbs to led

Seeing many of you changing your bulbs out to LEDs is making me want to make the change too. The rear turn signals look relatively easy to change. Do they need to be Amber if I'm placing a red overlay on the lens? If not, I would probably use these red ones below. Does it involve anything else besides changing the bulb? I don't want to spend too much, so I found these on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310930011957

I also want to change the reverse lights, but those seem to be much more difficult. Not sure if I have the tools to remove the clips for the trunk liner. I also don't want to spend to much, so I found these on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251348485050

What kind of bulbs are needed for the front turn signals? Any suggestions for cheap ones?

What do you guys think? Any instructions or tips would be helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited by dchar; 11-15-14 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 11:06 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would keep the filament bulbs instead of those cheap ebay LEDs. Don't waste your money. I got a box full of them useless.
Old 11-16-14, 07:07 AM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most LEDs aren't bright enough unless you want to spend lots of money. VLED Tritons seem to get good reviews for turn signals. And for reverse, either an HID conversion or adding additional LEDs seems to be the way to go.

I am still in the planning stages of doing the same. May try and set up a group buy.
Old 11-16-14, 10:24 AM
ISF*LYF
Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
Seeing many of you changing your bulbs out to LEDs is making me want to make the change too. The rear turn signals look relatively easy to change. Do they need to be Amber if I'm placing a red overlay on the lens? If not, I would probably use these red ones below. Does it involve anything else besides changing the bulb? I don't want to spend too much, so I found these on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310930011957

I also want to change the reverse lights, but those seem to be much more difficult. Not sure if I have the tools to remove the clips for the trunk liner. I also don't want to spend to much, so I found these on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251348485050

What kind of bulbs are needed for the front turn signals? Any suggestions for cheap ones?

What do you guys think? Any instructions or tips would be helpful.

Thanks!

The reverse lights are easy I did them yesterday. The fasteners pop off by hand (two max needed per side) and the revers bulb pigtail is grey. A quick 1/4 turn counter clock for removal by hand. Hope this helps when you get it done. I got Precision LED's premium 8000k reverse.
Attached Thumbnails Changing bulbs to led-image.jpg  
Old 11-16-14, 09:04 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_FSprt

The reverse lights are easy I did them yesterday. The fasteners pop off by hand (two max needed per side) and the revers bulb pigtail is grey. A quick 1/4 turn counter clock for removal by hand. Hope this helps when you get it done. I got Precision LED's premium 8000k reverse.
Do you just pull off the fasteners? Is there a special way of taking them off? Any pics of your reverse lights?
Old 11-17-14, 01:41 PM
ISF*LYF
Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
Do you just pull off the fasteners? Is there a special way of taking them off? Any pics of your reverse lights?
Yes the fasteners pop off..you can snake your hand under the liner and apply pressure at the fastener points. No pics yet but I will post some.
Old 11-17-14, 03:24 PM
tknx
Pole Position

VLEDS Tritons will be on sale for Cyber-Monday - so I'd recommend waiting til then and pulling the trigger...
Old 11-20-14, 04:34 PM
tknx
Pole Position

BTW - for internal door LEDs - the VLED 5K flank bulbs blow away the Sylvanias. Not even close. You can use them for the vanity lights and puddle lights too - so order 8.

Now just to figure out how to change out the LED lights that are already in there to 5K, cause I hate how blue they are.
Old 11-20-14, 08:52 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Let me take that back, the VLEDs are way too bright for the vanity mirrors. You open up the mirror and it is ridiculous.

So get 6 and not 8.
Old 11-22-14, 11:52 AM
blzer76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
Let me take that back, the VLEDs are way too bright for the vanity mirrors. You open up the mirror and it is ridiculous.

So get 6 and not 8.
Did you use this bulb?

LUMEN OUTPUT:
460LM

V3 TRITON GEN2 AMBER BULB ONLY | 1 EACH
$25.00
MORE INFO
V3 TRITON GEN2 BULB ONLY NO BASE, NO CONTROLLER
Old 11-22-14, 03:47 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blzer76
Did you use this bulb?

LUMEN OUTPUT:
460LM

V3 TRITON GEN2 AMBER BULB ONLY | 1 EACH
$25.00
MORE INFO
V3 TRITON GEN2 BULB ONLY NO BASE, NO CONTROLLER
No, this one. It is perfect in the doors. But way too bright in the vanity lights.

I emailed vleds and they suggested this one:http://www.vleds.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=74_3

I think I am going to build my own LED using a Nichia 219 which has a very high CRI (a measure of how close it is to daylight). Should be a fun simple project.
Old 11-22-14, 06:34 PM
blzer76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
No, this one. It is perfect in the doors. But way too bright in the vanity lights.

I emailed vleds and they suggested this one:http://www.vleds.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=74_3

I think I am going to build my own LED using a Nichia 219 which has a very high CRI (a measure of how close it is to daylight). Should be a fun simple project.
Thanks! Going to buy a couple to keep around once the oem bulbs blow.
Old 11-23-14, 11:14 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_FSprt
Yes the fasteners pop off..you can snake your hand under the liner and apply pressure at the fastener points. No pics yet but I will post some.
Just changed out my reverse lights for LEDs and can confirm this--the fasteners for the trunk liner don't have any special way of releasing them, you just have to pull hard enough on them. They're made with flexible plastic teeth all the way down, sort of like bristles of a comb, so it grips pretty good until the fastener is all the way out of the hole. The trunk liner doesn't hold onto them either, so they'll fall out, as I found out the hard way. I only lost one

Other than a few of those fasteners, the only other thing that had to come off is the plastic trim ring around the power trunk close button. That is held in by some flat springs down the sides, and just pulls out--no special catches to release that would break off or any surprises like that.
Old 11-23-14, 11:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
Just changed out my reverse lights for LEDs and can confirm this--the fasteners for the trunk liner don't have any special way of releasing them, you just have to pull hard enough on them. They're made with flexible plastic teeth all the way down, sort of like bristles of a comb, so it grips pretty good until the fastener is all the way out of the hole. The trunk liner doesn't hold onto them either, so they'll fall out, as I found out the hard way. I only lost one

Other than a few of those fasteners, the only other thing that had to come off is the plastic trim ring around the power trunk close button. That is held in by some flat springs down the sides, and just pulls out--no special catches to release that would break off or any surprises like that.
I just pulled the cover liner down a bit and they pop out.
You don't have to pull all of them out and drop the liner.Just enough in the area to get your hand in to swap out the bulbs.Maybe 5-6 clips.Although I don't have a power trunk.
The fastener part if needed is 9046708186C0.
Old 11-23-14, 11:36 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I just pulled the cover liner down a bit and they pop out.
You don't have to pull all of them out and drop the liner.Just enough in the area to get your hand in to swap out the bulbs.Maybe 5-6 clips.Although I don't have a power trunk.
The fastener part if needed is 9046708186C0.
Yeah I just had to pull three clips out of each side. Still managed to lose one somewhere, though. Such is life.

I went with the Philips X-treme Vision 921 LED bulbs. Here's a comparison during the day - LED on the left, stock bulb on the right.
Attached Thumbnails Changing bulbs to led-gs350_ledreverse_philips_extremevision_921_led.jpg  

Quick Reply: Changing bulbs to led