GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Disappointed. Loose and flimsy steering in 2013 GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 05:13 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disappointed. Loose and flimsy steering in 2013 GS

For the past month or so my car is very twitchy and wanders a lot. The steering is so loose that it feels flimsy and sloppy. The front wheels grab every little rut and grooves in the road and pull my car left or right. I have to keep my hands on the steering all the time. I switched out my regular Lexus wheels/tires for my winter wheels/tires and the problem is still there so its not anything to do with the tires.

The car does not feel heavy or planted anymore. The steering feel is like an old Lexus ES from 10 years ago to be exact. At this moment I feel nervous driving the car. Never felt this way ever before.

I had my alignment done last year but haven't hit any potholes or anything. But this feeling feels like the steering pump leak, loose tie-rods, etc. I am not sure. Either way its unacceptable for a 2 year and 10 month old car with only 36k miles.
Old 11-14-14, 08:44 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what did the dealer say?
Old 11-14-14, 08:59 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

It's still under warranty, bring it in.
Old 11-14-14, 09:00 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to say the steering is a bit light but not loose and all. Its so precise its scary.

Edit

Correct me if Im wrong but dont our cars have electric power steering?

Last edited by Justin2JZ; 11-14-14 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 10:00 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

im pretty sure all the gs steering wheel feel light or no ned to use that much strength to steer and etc. I wasn't use to parking the gs because of the steering wheel so easy to turn. Most of my time if I don't want the loose feeling I put my gs into sport + and the steering wheel is a bit stiff.
Old 11-15-14, 03:30 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Hey guys

Im getting it check out on Monday. Its not a norm behavior. Ive driven 35k miles without this issue and its getting worse lately and i know how the steering is supposed to feel in regular and sport plus.
Old 11-15-14, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Something isn't normal. Mines at 30,500 miles and the steering is as tight as it ever was.
Old 11-15-14, 09:10 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Something isn't normal. Mines at 30,500 miles and the steering is as tight as it ever was.
So are you saying that with the michelin tires, that your steering when u hit a bump or drain hole or rut in the road, the steering wheel will not turn to the left or right without the hand on the wheel? There is so much sloop and play in the steering wheel when accelerating from the stop light and on uneven road compared to my german cars that I find totally pathetic from the GS. It was tight before and now feels like crap.
Old 11-16-14, 07:10 AM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rexus300
So are you saying that with the michelin tires, that your steering when u hit a bump or drain hole or rut in the road, the steering wheel will not turn to the left or right without the hand on the wheel? There is so much sloop and play in the steering wheel when accelerating from the stop light and on uneven road compared to my german cars that I find totally pathetic from the GS. It was tight before and now feels like crap.
Have you gone to service yet? Seriously whining about the steering like this without actually troubleshooting it is a waste of pretty much everyone's time. Especially since it was fine before.
Old 11-16-14, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Absolutely not. The steering is as solid and precise as it was when it was brand new, and I have the original Michelins.

If it was good before and now it's not, something is wrong.
Old 11-16-14, 08:24 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Absolutely not. The steering is as solid and precise as it was when it was brand new, and I have the original Michelins.

If it was good before and now it's not, something is wrong.
Thank you for letting me know because when I go in tomorrow I dread that they will say its driving as it should be so I need some convincing that what I am feeling is odd. I will take a chief mechanic for a test drive to show them how the steering wheel is bouncing left and right when'd driving straight and how it tramlines so badly and pull the car violently to the left or right on rutted roads which before the car was perfectly settled.
Old 11-16-14, 08:49 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Your problem sounds like "Radial Pull"

Here's a discussion and remedy:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-highway.html
Old 11-16-14, 11:01 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Very good info. You might have something there. When I put on the winter tires on Friday evening, i drove it today on the same roads that i had issues with and noticed that majority of my problems were eliminated. The steering is dead straight on the highway so its in fact the michelin tires which were causing the issue and that they need to be replaced soon next spring
Old 11-16-14, 11:25 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

I'm really sorry if i overreacted and complained but at least we found the solution to the problem. Thanks to those who responded nicely and gave me feedback
Old 11-17-14, 07:08 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When I read 36k and wandering and diving into road imperfections, my first thought was worn out tires. Glad you got it resolved. Welcome to expensive high performance, short tire life land.

Quick Reply: Disappointed. Loose and flimsy steering in 2013 GS