Picked up a 2015 GS350 F-sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 06:18 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Probably mine is the $57,685 MSRP one.
Mine was $59xxx (RWD) and didn't come with them. Maybe the dealer just kept them.
Old 12-03-14, 07:40 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Interesting. I didn't think the physical key that is part of the key FOB had a number...like the old style keys did. I did not get that little tag or the number. I'm not sure what good the number would do me if I even had it.
Since the hard key is used to lock the glove box, for example, and you keep it on your person, if the key is lost, the code enables you to get a new key made.
Old 12-03-14, 07:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by kmm
Since the hard key is used to lock the glove box, for example, and you keep it on your person, if the key is lost, the code enables you to get a new key made.
If I lose my hard key, but still have my Smart Key FOB I can just get a new hard key from any Lexus dealer that will have access to my car's information after proof of ownership. But if I lose my Smart Key FOB, I'm toast because I wouldn't be able to get inside the car or drive it. I'm still not sure I understand what help it would be for an owner to know (and have) the hard key code, because that key really doesn't do much (doesn't work the ignition and you can't lock the Smart Key FOB inside the car)...and I'm not sure that a locksmith could even make a new hard key from that code number.

I don't have my hard key number, and I'm not really convinced I really need to know what it is...unlike years ago when the key number could be given to any locksmith and a new key that did everything (doors, ignition, etc.) could easily be made.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-03-14 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 07:55 PM
kmm
Pole Position

If I lose my hard key, but still have my Smart Key FOB I can just get a new hard key from any Lexus dealer that will have access to my car's information after proof of ownership. But if I lose my Smart Key FOB, I'm toast because I wouldn't be able to get inside the car or drive it. I'm still not sure I understand what help it would be for an owner to know (and have) the hard key code, because that key really doesn't do much...and I'm not sure that a locksmith could even make a new key from that code number. I don't have my hard key number, and I'm not really convinced I really need to know what it is...unlike years ago when the key number could be given to a locksmith and a new key that did everything (doors, ignition, etc.) could easily be made.
If you are on vacation, and give the car to the valet, you may want to lock your glove box. In the Lexus owner's manual it states some locksmiths have the capability to make a mechanical key from the code. This is especially helpful when you are not near a Lexus dealer or the dealer is closed.

Kerry
San Diego
Old 12-03-14, 08:00 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by kmm
If you are on vacation, and give the car to the valet, you may want to lock your glove box. In the Lexus owner's manual it states some locksmiths have the capability to make a mechanical key from the code. This is especially helpful when you are not near a Lexus dealer.
Okay on the glove box. But, the mechanical (hard) key won't start the car if you lose both the Smart Key along with the mechanical key (drop it down a street drain). Having the key number does no good...unlike years ago. Am I right 'bout that?
Old 12-03-14, 08:07 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Okay on the glove box. But, the mechanical (hard) key won't start the car if you lose both the Smart Key along with the mechanical key (drop it down a street drain). Having the key number does no good...unlike years ago. Am I right 'bout that?
Well, I have my mechanical key code in the "notes" section of my iPhone. I can give the code to a qualified locksmith to at least get the glove box unlocked or the car door opened. However, if you don't have the Smart Key, you're right, that probably won't be much benefit unless you want to sleep in the car that night...

Kerry
San Diego
Old 12-03-14, 08:15 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Beautiful car! Congratulations. You will love the Cabernet interior even more as time goes on. Nebula Gray looks great on the GS.
Old 12-04-14, 12:13 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Beautiful car! Congratulations. You will love the Cabernet interior even more as time goes on. Nebula Gray looks great on the GS.
The only thing you won't love about the non-Black interior is cleaning the seats, they will get dye transfer from jeans. I hit my cabernet seats with Lexol leather cleaner/conditioner once every few months. Since the leather has a thin polyurethane coating on top, most stuff just wipes off.
Old 12-04-14, 12:21 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the gs f sport just wish they had more power
Old 12-04-14, 02:18 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_FSprt
Same here my 2015 came with 4 of them. Weird and yes they too were in the glove box.
4 of them?????? Mine came with only 2... 1 for each key and car comes with 2 keys.... So they probably accidentally put 4? lol
Old 01-05-15, 06:59 PM
RLtoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandbeef
I'd rather get a black F Sport golf polo shirt than the key gloves. They're hard to find. Saw a Lexus manager wearing one in the OC.

Just saying.
check out this site:

http://www.thelexuscollection.com/ec...PcKVTUMWXvA%3D
Old 01-05-15, 07:08 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
The only thing you won't love about the non-Black interior is cleaning the seats, they will get dye transfer from jeans. I hit my cabernet seats with Lexol leather cleaner/conditioner once every few months. Since the leather has a thin polyurethane coating on top, most stuff just wipes off.
I don't doubt you, but I've had no dye transfer from my jeans and my seats are as clean as when they were new. I also use Lexol every few months, but it is just to keep the leather supple and wrinkle-free.