GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)

Old 11-11-14, 04:34 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Can you tell if there are scratches when the windows are closed?
Nope. The scratches are only visible when windows are rolled down.
Old 11-11-14, 05:12 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@SNIIP3R Just to clarify - you have the double pane windows which are part of the winter package?
Old 11-11-14, 10:10 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Double pane isn't always a part of winter package. My 2014 Premium had double pane front windows and I'm here in SoCal and we don't have winter package or even AWD GS, there are maybe some but I've never seen one at the dealer, always RWD. My FSport has single pane now.
Old 11-12-14, 02:18 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
@SNIIP3R Just to clarify - you have the double pane windows which are part of the winter package?
Yes, mines are double pane. I'm not sure if they are part of winter package, I think all GS models with the luxury package have these.
Old 11-12-14, 05:25 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 561 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Nope. The scratches are only visible when windows are rolled down.
Gotcha, still a pain to see if you roll your windows down regularly. Thanks for sharing, I might ask my tint guy to put down some moleskin on the inside to help prevent the scratches
Old 11-12-14, 08:08 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Every vehicle I have ever had tinted windows on scratches at the top where the window goes up into the seal. It's not a big deal, lucky it's not the whole window scratching. I've had that happen numerous times.
Old 11-12-14, 08:36 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Every vehicle I have ever had tinted windows on scratches at the top where the window goes up into the seal. It's not a big deal, lucky it's not the whole window scratching. I've had that happen numerous times.
Yea me too. From my Corolla to Camry to Accord to GS all scratches on the top and they're all single pane. It is rubbing when u close it and there will always be dirt on that rubber strip, so unless u clean it 24/7, it'll show some scratches when it rubs. But maybe on the dual pane it rubs more due to the tighter space.
Old 11-12-14, 04:13 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ceramic tint on the double pane windows of my '13. No issues or scratches. I even have ceramic tint on my front windshield.

Whether or not the panels "need" to be removed depends on the design of the door. My installer told me the panels needed to be removed on the GS because there is no way to reliably slide the film in through the insulation of this model.

For what it's worth, I have never had a rattle or squeak issue after installation either.
Old 11-12-14, 04:22 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
when i had the tints installed in my '13 F-Sport, they took apart the door panels and when they put it back it never had the factory seal and fitment. The whole door panel was loose and made noise.

Because of that, i will not tint my '15 F-Sport.
Not every tint shop will take apart your door or use a shim to pry apart your door seals to install tint. I had tints install with non of what you describe. I was standing right there when they installed my tints. All the tints were precut and they did a great job without taking apart doors. Dont make your bad experiance ruin tinting for you. Just find another installer.
Old 11-12-14, 04:50 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Spot on^^
Old 11-12-14, 05:13 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Not every tint shop will take apart your door or use a shim to pry apart your door seals to install tint. I had tints install with non of what you describe. I was standing right there when they installed my tints. All the tints were precut and they did a great job without taking apart doors. Dont make your bad experiance ruin tinting for you. Just find another installer.
good point.

BUT, i kind of prefer the white on red contrast when driving. looks very sharp.

for now will let it be with no tints.
Old 11-13-14, 04:32 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had Huper Optic Ceramic's installed, which were hand cut by the installer. I also was able to watch him perform the installation.

Door panels were taken off as he said he had to do. Either way door panels are coming off again for the F-Sport trim TSB.

I don't know if I have scratches up top, as I don't remember ever opening the windows.
Old 11-18-14, 02:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Just today I had Hüper Optik Ceramic window film installed on my newly acquired GS 350. The installer I use has been installing window film for 22 years and is excellent. 95% of the film they install is computer cut, in lieu of hand cut, so all pieces are precisely exact in terms of fit. The installer definitely took the door panels off my car - the guy that did the door panels used to work at the local Lexus dealership (largest in U.S.), so he knows what he's doing. Plus, this installer (team of 3-4 guys doing the work) is used to installing window film on all kinds of very high-end exotics (Ferrari. McLaren, Lambo, Maserati, etc.), so a Lexus GS 350 is plenty commonplace.
Old 11-24-14, 06:14 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Just today I had Hüper Optik Ceramic window film installed on my newly acquired GS 350. The installer I use has been installing window film for 22 years and is excellent. 95% of the film they install is computer cut, in lieu of hand cut, so all pieces are precisely exact in terms of fit. The installer definitely took the door panels off my car - the guy that did the door panels used to work at the local Lexus dealership (largest in U.S.), so he knows what he's doing. Plus, this installer (team of 3-4 guys doing the work) is used to installing window film on all kinds of very high-end exotics (Ferrari. McLaren, Lambo, Maserati, etc.), so a Lexus GS 350 is plenty commonplace.
Smells like Park Place and Pro Tint.
Old 11-24-14, 06:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Smells like Park Place and Pro Tint.
Your smeller works perfectly!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)