GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-13, 12:07 PM
ChristinaS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tinting Issues?

Greetings from IL!

I recently paid $250 for my Lexus dealership to tint the windows on my '13 GS350. Within a few days I noticed wind noise out of the front passenger window, and for the past 4 days there has been a rattling noise in the passenger door. I took it in this morning and was informed that the tinting process destroyed my weather stripping. They want me to pay to replace the weather stripping and to remove the tint. I was furious, and of course it was the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, so no one in authority was available to speak to me.

My service consultant mentioned that this make and model shouldn't be tinted, that this is a problem they are seeing. (And obviously this was not mentioned *prior* to the service.)

I did some searching online and see absolutely nothing collaborating that statement. I think either they did the tinting incorrectly or destroyed the weather stripping in the process. I also had my vehicle detailed at the dealership after the tinting, and suggested that perhaps the detailers put the windows down prematurely, but was scoffed at.

Any fellow GS350 owners have an issue with window tinting or able to point me where I might find more information? At this point I am considering replacing the windows with tinted glass. These are at 35%, the legal limit in IL.

Thanks!
Christina
Old 05-24-13, 12:21 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My GS has tint and I don't have any problems.
Unfortunately your first mistake was letting the dealer do the tint.
The dealership is responsible for any problems with the tint and repairs needed because of the tint..Stay on them.
Old 05-24-13, 12:25 PM
JT51
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a pretty lame response from dealer, you get the Tint from them then they tell you it shouldn't be tinted, did you try the Corporate office? My GS is tinted from the dealer(worst tinting I've ever had) and was offered at final paper work, tinting and pin stripes when I told them it already had it from them. So, I doubt seriously that the GS is not supposed to be tinted.
The following users liked this post:
Swegerian1 (07-10-20)
Old 05-24-13, 12:46 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

First of all , u should tell them if they had issues, u should had warned me or put it in writing, so thats there fault , and also the tint goes on the window not on the weatherstripping, and the weatherstripping is on the outside of the door, which is the problem on the car for the noise, I have the same problem and they changed my window to a dbl glass, and still there is noise. so that tells u they are Stupid , and they dont want to deal with it.
Old 05-24-13, 01:39 PM
ChristinaS
Driver School Candidate

I do plan to make them resolve this issue, it's their problem not mine. I have given them until the close of business Tuesday to make me happy, hopefully they choose to do the right thing. Corporate headquarters is for Wed morning. As is every social media outlet available to me.

The tint looks great, absolutely no problem with the actual windows. Clearly the quality of the work leaves something to be desired.

I did research on local tinting places and didn't find a single one without at least one person that hated their work. So ultimately I decided to go with the dealer for the very reason that they guarantee their work.

Will update here after Tue.

Christina
Old 05-24-13, 02:02 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristinaS
Greetings from IL!

I recently paid $250 for my Lexus dealership to tint the windows on my '13 GS350. Within a few days I noticed wind noise out of the front passenger window, and for the past 4 days there has been a rattling noise in the passenger door. I took it in this morning and was informed that the tinting process destroyed my weather stripping. They want me to pay to replace the weather stripping and to remove the tint. I was furious, and of course it was the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, so no one in authority was available to speak to me.

My service consultant mentioned that this make and model shouldn't be tinted, that this is a problem they are seeing. (And obviously this was not mentioned *prior* to the service.)

I did some searching online and see absolutely nothing collaborating that statement. I think either they did the tinting incorrectly or destroyed the weather stripping in the process. I also had my vehicle detailed at the dealership after the tinting, and suggested that perhaps the detailers put the windows down prematurely, but was scoffed at.

Any fellow GS350 owners have an issue with window tinting or able to point me where I might find more information? At this point I am considering replacing the windows with tinted glass. These are at 35%, the legal limit in IL.

Thanks!
Christina
Maybe the dealership meant to say they don't recommend tinting because THEY don't know how to do it? Because there sure are a good number of them that are indeed tinted here!

In any case, they took on the risk of doing the tint, so it is on them. Have them put the car back into the good condition you gave it to them. Then take the car to a reputable tint shop.
Old 05-24-13, 03:27 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
Maybe the dealership meant to say they don't recommend tinting because THEY don't know how to do it? Because there sure are a good number of them that are indeed tinted here!

In any case, they took on the risk of doing the tint, so it is on them. Have them put the car back into the good condition you gave it to them. Then take the car to a reputable tint shop.
Agree. All my windows are tinted even my windshield and no problems at all.

Your dealer drove your car down the street to have it tinted by some incompetent tinter. So in the future, don't give your car to the dealer to have it tinted. Look up Yelp for a reputable tinter and take it there yourself.

Just talk to the manager and they will take care of it. I doubt if the dealer is stupid enough to try and fight you for this one. The point is, they are responsible and they should fix it and pay for it.
Old 05-25-13, 01:46 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly wind noise and door rattle noise is common in these cars, i know some members claim their cars are quiet as a tomb with no rattles or wind noise, door rattles might be hit or miss, but the wind noise is a defect in design and am pretty confident all cars have them.

my car was dead quiet right when i got it, and progressively got worst.

the solution? listen to music at around 25-30 volume and you won't hear anything.
Old 05-25-13, 07:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
honestly wind noise and door rattle noise is common in these cars, i know some members claim their cars are quiet as a tomb with no rattles or wind noise, door rattles might be hit or miss, but the wind noise is a defect in design and am pretty confident all cars have them.

my car was dead quiet right when i got it, and progressively got worst.

the solution? listen to music at around 25-30 volume and you won't hear anything.

Well,6 months in my GS doesn't have any wind noise or rattles with the radio on or off.......so far.I don't know what will happen in the future but right now it is tomb quiet..
Old 05-25-13, 08:07 AM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated by many posters above, many of us have our windows tinted, and it did not damage the weather stripping or any other door mechanism.

The fact that the tinter they contracted the work out to apparently damaged your car in the process is not your responsibility...It is theirs (and the tint company they used).

Stay on the dealership to make this right for you...And keep us posted on the outcome!
Old 06-01-13, 09:16 AM
ChristinaS
Driver School Candidate

Wanted to come by and update, but unfortunately this isn't resolved yet. The Tuesday after Memorial Day I spoke to the saleswoman I bought the car from last year, and she set up for me to bring the car in. Yesterday when I dropped it off I showed the technician where my driver's window is covered in tiny bubbles, there is a wrinkle on my back windshield, and of course the passenger window still sounds like it's cracked when you top 20 MPH.

I explained that I expect the seals to be replaced, at no charge. I expect the tint to either be removed and my money refunded or replaced to my satisfaction. They gave me a loaner and told me they'd be in touch.

I'll be back once this is resolved, or not. I have prepared a blurb for my hospital's employee newsletter detailing my dissatisfaction with this dealership, and will run it if this isn't resolved. I'm sure it's not a big deal, we only have 6k employees and medical professionals rarely buy Lexus anyway
Old 06-01-13, 09:32 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristinaS
I'll be back once this is resolved, or not. I have prepared a blurb for my hospital's employee newsletter detailing my dissatisfaction with this dealership, and will run it if this isn't resolved. I'm sure it's not a big deal, we only have 6k employees and medical professionals rarely buy Lexus anyway
If you haven't done so, you might want to consider emailing both the service manager and general sales manager at that dealership. Carbon copy that email to all the current saleswoman, technician, and anyone who is helping you deal with this problem.

In this email, be cordial, professional, yet firm. Say this is a Lexus, this is what happened (include copies of receipts etc), I'm not happy with what happened, but I trust you guys, and I'm sure you guys will take care of this issue. I wouldn't threatened them will anything yet until you hear from the manger. You'll be surprise at how fast they get things done for you when their bosses are involved.

If they don't make you happy after that. Then forward that email but this time include Lexus Corporate Customer relation. I love emails for these purposes since they create paper trail on what happened. You can talk to them personally too but keep all events recorded on email. Good luck.
Old 06-01-13, 03:40 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent advice. The very fact of creating a paper trail tends to make people "snap to" quite a bit more than casual conversation (is there any other kind today?) does.
The following users liked this post:
Swegerian1 (07-10-20)
Old 06-03-13, 06:53 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My GS has tint and I don't have any problems.
Unfortunately your first mistake was letting the dealer do the tint.
The dealership is responsible for any problems with the tint and repairs needed because of the tint..Stay on them.
+1 I agree I wouldn't have the dealer tint my car, I have had no issue's
Old 06-06-13, 02:17 PM
ChristinaS
Driver School Candidate

Still no update. My vehicle is still at the dealership. Tomorrow it will have been one week. I've had a loaner and have made it clear I'm not in a hurry.

When I spoke with the tech today he stated my tint is flawless, the wind noise is gone, the seals have been repaired. He is going to contact me tomorrow to go pick it up. I reminded him of each and every issue, and asked that he make certain they are all resolved before I return. According to him the bubbles and wrinkles in the tint are gone. I plan to examine the car and drive it to listen for wind noise before accepting it back.

Great advice on the paper trail. I am going to see if the car has been repaired to my satisfaction tomorrow. If it has, fabulous. If not, I have a letter written and the contact info for the owner of the dealership, GM, HQ, and service manager. I just need to plug in the info and hit send. And I will submit the blurb for our hospital newsletter. But hopefully it won't come to that.

Quick Reply: 4GS Window Tint Master thread (pictures, products, issues - merged threads)