GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS in the SNOW (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
As a side note, they are prediciting a strong el nino winter which is milder and less snow in midwest and east coast compared to last year. We have experience this with a mild dec and barely or no snow. So I wouldnt be too concerned if the OP is going in dec for a short time.
I'm going to hold you to this! In February when we have 3 feet of snow I'm gonna come callin'!
Old 10-27-14, 06:56 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We had a serious ice storm last December in Dallas and I drove my GS F Sport in Snow mode all over the place with the original Dunlaps and had no issues. You just have to drive slowly.
Old 10-29-14, 02:27 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
We have alternating above 40 and snowy/freezing weather all winter. So...having AWD makes the car drivable when it does get cold and snowy at least.
Winter tires are better than summer tires in temperatures below 9C (48F). And if you are in region where you have snow on the roads during winter I would strongly recommend you winter tires. All seasons are crap.

Originally Posted by dseag2
We had a serious ice storm last December in Dallas and I drove my GS F Sport in Snow mode all over the place with the original Dunlaps and had no issues. You just have to drive slowly.
You can go slowly but if you are on snowy/icy downhill road and you want to stop your car changes into the sledge in summer tires Or try to stop and go on uphill No SNOW mode will save you. But SNOW mode is very good during winter and I am using it on snowy roads when I need lower torque and not to spin my wheels. Again WITH winter tires!
Old 10-29-14, 07:05 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ZbynekZ
Winter tires are better than summer tires in temperatures below 9C (48F). And if you are in region where you have snow on the roads during winter I would strongly recommend you winter tires. All seasons are crap.

You can go slowly but if you are on snowy/icy downhill road and you want to stop your car changes into the sledge in summer tires Or try to stop and go on uphill No SNOW mode will save you. But SNOW mode is very good during winter and I am using it on snowy roads when I need lower torque and not to spin my wheels. Again WITH winter tires!
This guy knows what's up.

We had a huge ice storm in toronto last year. I drove my tacoma with winter tires, didn't even need to put it in 4x4 to get around (and thats with the horrible weigh balance of a pickup truck).

I enjoy having the confidence that it's going to stop or turn in a panic situation. It is a terrible feeling to be sliding in the snow towards an immovable object with no control...
Old 10-29-14, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Compared to summer tires sure, but allseason tires have a lower temp threshhold than summer tires obviously. I agree with your sentiment that dedicated summer and dedicated winter tires are best, but in the mid atlantic it just doesn't make sense. If anything we spend as much time over 45 degrees or so as we do under, so if I were on winter tires I would have compromised handling with warmer temps as muc or more than I have compromised handling with all seasons in the cold. We have in a normal to bad winter 3...maybe 4 events where the roads are snow covered. A lot of times its never. Just doesn't make sense to buy winter tires here.
Old 10-29-14, 10:30 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't matter if it is covered by snow or not. Overall performance of all-season tire is crap. But it is for sure your choice if it is giving a sense for you or not.

I recommend you to see this:

Old 10-29-14, 06:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't matter if it is covered by snow or not. Overall performance of all-season tire is crap. But it is for sure your choice if it is giving a sense for you or not.
What matters is temperature...and its just not cold enough here.
Old 10-29-14, 09:08 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I too have a question for you guys.

I live in Tennessee but will be traveling to Michigan every other week during the winter around January till March. Should I buy a set of rims and mount winter tires to them. Or should I unmount my summer tires on my GS and mount winter tires and then unmount the winter tires and mount the summers back on in the summer? once you unmount a tire can it be remounted? Also which setup is most cost effective?
Old 10-30-14, 06:24 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I too have a question for you guys.

I live in Tennessee but will be traveling to Michigan every other week during the winter around January till March. Should I buy a set of rims and mount winter tires to them. Or should I unmount my summer tires on my GS and mount winter tires and then unmount the winter tires and mount the summers back on in the summer? once you unmount a tire can it be remounted? Also which setup is most cost effective?
I have done it both ways and actually it doesn't really seem to make much difference financially. In my '08 GS, I had 2 sets of wheels because I could just change them in the garage since the car had an A/B switch for TPMS sensors. The 13 GS doesn't have that feature so if you had 2 sets of wheels (with separate TPMS sensors), you'd probably want to go to the dealer to get the TPMS light reset anyway. And yes, you can remount tires and it's not usually a big deal. I do it every spring and autumn on several cars.
Old 10-30-14, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats a tough one because in TN you're going to be getting reduced performance from winter tires, but in MI they would be valuable.

The easiest thing to do is buy a set of rims, but if you only anticipate doing this one winter I would just have them mounted and unmounted. You can remount a set of tires sure.
Old 10-30-14, 09:17 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks guys for the prompt replies. I guess ill just get a set of rims and put winter tires on them. Since once in a while we do get ice here. I wish our GSs have the A/B switch tire pressure sensors for two sets of tires.
Old 10-30-14, 09:55 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I wish our GSs have the A/B switch tire pressure sensors for two sets of tires.
Me too. I wasn't at the dealership as often when they did.... Then again, they have gorgeous LS F Sport that I've been eyeballin....
Old 10-30-14, 06:51 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The steepest road I have to commute in Dallas is the driveway up to my house, but yes you're right. The GS makes it up the icy driveway into the garage in one try, but the G37 Vert takes several. It's scary to watch
Old 12-02-14, 05:07 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
How do you like the LM-32s? I'm considering getting them for this winter.
Follow-up: I did end up getting LM-32s, and so far they seem like a very good choice for the kind of winter weather we get in Toronto. That is: cold, with dry roads much of the time, while still having ice and the occasional snowstorm to deal with as well.

Dry road handling is noticeably softer than the stock Michelin all-seasons, but still very good for a winter tire, and much better than the WS-70s I had on my previous car. I haven't noticed any tread noise at all, yet.

I've driven in snow and ice a couple of times now. Snow traction is very good (it feels like driving on gravel rather than snow) and ice traction is OK as well. Driving around the neighborhood tonight, with icy spots under a thin layer of wet snow, lots of people were having huge difficulty getting moving at intersections or just going up tiny hills, whereas I could drive more or less normally the whole time.

AWD 4GS + LM-32s = tank, it seems.
Old 12-02-14, 06:51 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
Follow-up: I did end up getting LM-32s, and so far they seem like a very good choice for the kind of winter weather we get in Toronto. That is: cold, with dry roads much of the time, while still having ice and the occasional snowstorm to deal with as well.

Dry road handling is noticeably softer than the stock Michelin all-seasons, but still very good for a winter tire, and much better than the WS-70s I had on my previous car. I haven't noticed any tread noise at all, yet.

I've driven in snow and ice a couple of times now. Snow traction is very good (it feels like driving on gravel rather than snow) and ice traction is OK as well. Driving around the neighborhood tonight, with icy spots under a thin layer of wet snow, lots of people were having huge difficulty getting moving at intersections or just going up tiny hills, whereas I could drive more or less normally the whole time.

AWD 4GS + LM-32s = tank, it seems.
I 100% agree with you. I have the Lm-32 on my 19 inch Enkei wheels and they are very smooth riding tires and a bit softer then the MXM4 when its colder outside due to the compound. I keep the pressure at 30/31 psi for best balance. They are awesome in deep snow and moderate snow. They are still very good in the ice compared to the all seasons and gives me a lot of security. Your gravel analogy is correct when driving on the snow. I really can't tell that I am on a bad road sometimes. This tire is highly recommended for our cars.

Quick Reply: GS in the SNOW (merged threads)