GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brakes are make Noise again.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 03:49 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Brakes are make Noise again.

So my brakes are squealing again, getting pretty annoyed with my dealership. Hopefully they fix it don't feel like hearing it again. Only good thing out of this is I got a GS450h loaner which I must saw I like and don't like. The car is great on gas no test to that, I have been pushing this thing and the gas needle has yet to move. Don't like the pedestrian warning sound and it feels different than my old 3rd gen 450h, it is fast, could say faster and the shifting is terrible obviously its artificial but it feels nothing like a gas engine transmission . Well here are pics of loaner.
Brakes are make Noise again.-img_0061.jpg

Brakes are make Noise again.-img_0064.jpg

Brakes are make Noise again.-img_0065.jpg
Old 10-22-14, 08:02 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Hey do u have to put gas back on the loaner before u return it? It's not included right?

The IS 250 I have right now drinks gas like crazy. lol I'd say my GS with the bigger engine is better on gas than this IS 250.
Old 10-23-14, 06:33 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Hey do u have to put gas back on the loaner before u return it? It's not included right?

The IS 250 I have right now drinks gas like crazy. lol I'd say my GS with the bigger engine is better on gas than this IS 250.
yes you do have to put gas back. I put $10 and needle never moved so I returned with a little more than what they gave me.
Old 10-23-14, 07:45 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I put $18 on the IS before I returned it last night. Man that thing drinks gas more than my GS.
Old 10-23-14, 09:59 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
So my brakes are squealing again, getting pretty annoyed with my dealership. Hopefully they fix it don't feel like hearing it again. Only good thing out of this is I got a GS450h loaner which I must saw I like and don't like. The car is great on gas no test to that, I have been pushing this thing and the gas needle has yet to move. Don't like the pedestrian warning sound and it feels different than my old 3rd gen 450h, it is fast, could say faster and the shifting is terrible obviously its artificial but it feels nothing like a gas engine transmission . Well here are pics of loaner.
Hi bigblack06. Thanks for your pictures & quick assessment on the GS450h loaner that you received.

Can you possibly compare it to the GS350 F-Sport that you own? Did you get a chance to put the 450h on Sport+ mode?

Does it feel any faster than your GS350? Also, what else did you like or dislike about the GS450h?

I was looking at both vehicles, so your thoughts would be great!

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 10-23-14, 10:27 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Hi bigblack06. Thanks for your pictures & quick assessment on the GS450h loaner that you received.

Can you possibly compare it to the GS350 F-Sport that you own? Did you get a chance to put the 450h on Sport+ mode?

Does it feel any faster than your GS350? Also, what else did you like or dislike about the GS450h?

I was looking at both vehicles, so your thoughts would be great!

~ Im2bz2p345
Well in terms of faster, yes it wicked fast thing pulls with no problem. Yes I put it in Sport+ mode and it still felt weird to me, I found it very odd as the shifting made no sense might as well take it away. If your shifting while in drive and you just let it go it literally stays in lets say 2nd gear all the way up to 70mph was pretty weird. I used it to downshift and then I took off thinking it would shift out and go back to regular boy was I wrong. I don't really like the exterior and It feels very soft, I would have to wait and test the 450h F-sport and see if there is a difference.
Old 10-28-14, 11:38 AM
jhyphen
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they resolve the brake noise? Dropping mine off in Sharon so they can try again.
Old 10-29-14, 10:13 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by jhyphen
Did they resolve the brake noise? Dropping mine off in Sharon so they can try again.
Nope I have to bring video, didn't help that it was raining for like three days straight.
Old 10-29-14, 02:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I had only done 30,000 miles, but my brakes were squeaking like hell.
Neither the pads nor the rotors were worn down at all.
The parts depo talked me into buying a pair of brand new front pads, a pair of front shims, and a pair of brand new front rotors for $1k.

At first the squeal went away, but after a few months, it went back again.

My lesson.
The squealing is actually due to brake dust!
Don't throw your money away replacing pads, shims & rotors.
Wash the car, esp the front wheels & front calipers regularly.
If you have allowed too much brake dust to build on the inside of the wheels, then use an aluminium hydraulic jack to lift the front end up, support under the front door area of the chassis with two jack stands, remove the front wheels & wash the inside of the front wheels and brake calipers meticulously.
Squeal gone.
Make sure you wash regularly.

Can use front ceramic pads, but under normal gentle use, ceramic pads do not heat up much, hence less braking power.
Under racing conditions, hard on the brakes, a lot of heat, so ceramic pads work well for racing...
Old 10-31-14, 03:37 PM
jhyphen
Driver

Nope I have to bring video, didn't help that it was raining for like three days straight.
They claim to have fixed it. I just picked mine up today. I'll update after a while.

I think I may have seen you today on 1 at the gas station. Exhaust sounding real nice on the takeoff
Old 10-31-14, 05:45 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by jhyphen
They claim to have fixed it. I just picked mine up today. I'll update after a while.

I think I may have seen you today on 1 at the gas station. Exhaust sounding real nice on the takeoff
Lol then it was probably me as I'm always at the gas station!
Old 10-31-14, 07:33 PM
jhyphen
Driver

Lol then it was probably me as I'm always at the gas station!
Lmao yea that's a GS for ya. They gave me a 250 for a loaner today(car sucks) and it didn't do too much better.
Old 11-01-14, 11:56 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
My lesson.

Same experience here. I was driving around in my buddy's town a few weeks ago with the windows down and we kept hearing this light dragging sound when driving next to walls. A light squeal on braking. Started driving me nuts because I had the real squeal when I first bought it and the dealer had replaced all the bits that were noisy.

Took it to the pressure wash, hosed out the front wheels along with the rest of the car, problem solved. The factory pads dust like crazy and will create noise. Drawback to aggressive non-ceramic pads under 6 piston rotors I guess.
Old 11-02-14, 09:07 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I had only done 30,000 miles, but my brakes were squeaking like hell.
Neither the pads nor the rotors were worn down at all.
The parts depo talked me into buying a pair of brand new front pads, a pair of front shims, and a pair of brand new front rotors for $1k.

At first the squeal went away, but after a few months, it went back again.

My lesson.
Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Took it to the pressure wash, hosed out the front wheels along with the rest of the car, problem solved. The factory pads dust like crazy and will create noise. Drawback to aggressive non-ceramic pads under 6 piston rotors I guess.
I have 38k miles on my GS. They replaced front rotor and pads (free) when I had 20k miles. It was quiet for about 8k miles and the squeal came back. What's up with these GS brakes!?

Anyways I switched to ceramic pads and it was quiet for about 4k miles. Then the noise came back, but this time 10x worse! I tried hosing down the brakes yesterday and the next morning I think the noise was worse. Tomorrow I'm going to take apart the entire assembly, clean, and switch back to the original pads. Hopefully that will keep things quiet until I get a new car.

I can't wait to get rid of this car in 9 months.
Old 11-03-14, 08:36 AM
bigblack06

Ok, update the dealership called me and said they have a fix so I plan to bring it in Tuesday after work.

Quick Reply: Brakes are make Noise again.