GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation Issue - Need Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 03:48 PM
FlashF14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Issue - Need Advice Please

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I recently got a 2014 Lexus GS F-Sport, fully loaded. I made a dumb mistake of taking my car in to a shop to have my roof vinyl'd black. And so, they also had to blackout the shark fin antenna on top. They recommended painting it metallic black as it wouldn't have looked good wrapped. So I agreed without knowing. After painting and taking the car home, I noticed the Navigation was off and my GPS was showing me going in a completely different direction. I have calibrated it so many times and it stays on course with me for about one block then starts going off into a different direction on its own. Has anyone come across this problem before? Will removing the paint fix this? Is this something the Dealer has to handle, and if so, charge me for it? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-21-14, 03:50 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Isn't the shark fin antenna only for the satellite radio?
Old 10-21-14, 03:55 PM
FlashF14
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure. But the Navigation was working great for about three weeks until I had that antenna painted then it went haywire. I can't leave this to coincidence so I'm assuming that's the main cause.....unless there's a better explanation? Thanks for your response.
Old 10-21-14, 06:26 PM
ohsown
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know they say that tinting windows can impair GPS signals, but yeah that antennae should be radio.
Old 10-21-14, 07:51 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

When you had the antenna painted GLITTER black you sealed it from getting any reception. The glitter metallic in the paint is most likely made of metal shavings. And metal will block out any reception. The dealer might not honor any warrentee repairs if they find out you painted it. I suggest you go to the shop that did your wrap and have them fix it. Most likely they would have to strip the paint and repaint it with non metallic paint.
Old 10-22-14, 05:49 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The GPS antenna is buried in the dash

Look at this parts diagram at the Sewell website and you'll see the "navigation antenna" is listed as being somewhere in there close to the navigation assembly buried in the dash. You'll have to look for it. There's yet another diagram somewhere in the "Electrical" section that separately shows the shark fin antenna. They're different antennas.
JB
Old 10-22-14, 06:27 PM
FlashF14
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm...can tinting the windows be the issue then? Or maybe Navi needs an update perhaps? Still can't wrap my head around this thing.
Old 10-22-14, 11:02 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

That's what I thought, it has the same setup as my 2011 Camry. The roof antenna is for the satellite radio only.

Does ur satellite radio work?

Try unplugging the battery for an hour or so and see if it resets the navigation.
Old 10-23-14, 05:49 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FlashF14
Hmmm...can tinting the windows be the issue then? Or maybe Navi needs an update perhaps? Still can't wrap my head around this thing.
IMHO, there's nothing to wrap your head around: you already excluded the painted antenna, and you can safely exclude tint unless you tinted your *windshield* with metallic tint, which I highly doubt. Your satnav simply crapped out and you need to bring it to your dealership. I don't believe in coincidences either, but in this case it seems like it was just that. Either way, good luck and keep us posted.
JB
Old 01-07-15, 08:11 AM
indigo4298
Driver School Candidate

Any solution to this? I'm having a similar issue now.
Old 01-09-15, 11:05 AM
TLSi93291
Driver School Candidate

1. You need to go into setup menu and look at all your settings. Something is not setup up correctly in there and therefore, your calibration will be off as well.
Old 01-09-15, 11:27 AM
Igor911
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has the thought gone through your head about the possibility of ruling out the tint by driving around for a bit with your windows open? Metallic tint has been known to screw up navi's...
Old 01-12-15, 02:07 AM
TLSi93291
Driver School Candidate

Default Have all yours windows rolled down and recheck it....

Originally Posted by Igor911
Has the thought gone through your head about the possibility of ruling out the tint by driving around for a bit with your windows open? Metallic tint has been known to screw up navi's...
A lot of things can happen when you'd change the characteristic of a component in a luxury vehicle and that the engineers don't know yet so we won't find it in the diagnostic books. you need to take it to the Lexus dealerships and they can do a thorough diagnosis for you as I don't have your vehicle here to help you diagnose it.
Old 01-12-15, 05:14 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

The OP has not reported back. Surely he has had it fixed by now. Hopefully he will report in so others can learn from whatever happened to his.
Old 02-04-15, 07:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
The OP has not reported back. Surely he has had it fixed by now. Hopefully he will report in so others can learn from whatever happened to his.
Yeah, I'd like to know what they found wrong with the shark's fin.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-04-15 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Navigation Issue - Need Advice Please