GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Buying from private dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 03:32 PM
Yoitsdee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you guys were in the area I wouldn't mind buying the first round!

my mechanic is going to the dealership tomorrow morning to check it out. if it all checks out then i'll be going Tuesday to buy the car.
Old 10-25-14, 08:53 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Yoitsee, PM me the dealership you're working with. Since we're both in the 858, I may know these guys. Also, I can refer you to a good Independent mechanic in the area that can save you $$ on the 20k, 30k inspection repairs.
Old 10-27-14, 04:53 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the update???
Old 10-27-14, 05:28 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My advice - stay away from these private dealers - especially those you have never heard of.
Old 10-27-14, 04:19 PM
Yoitsdee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sick21
What's the update???
sorry i've been busy with the family all weekend fellas..

heres a update i got from my mechanic on saturday.

before i tell you the update. let me remind all you guys that this salesman said this car was in perfect condition and i quote him..."you will not find a scratch on this car!"

my mechanic went to the dealership and test drove the car. he found a few problems. there was scratches on the front and back bumper and on the rear passenger side door. another problem he found was that the rear drive shock is leaking. My mechanic's main concern most was the paint actually. He told me that repainting it is costly and will show overtime. I know that scratches here and there will happen but i told him thats fine and i'll get still get the car if that was the only problem.

My mechanic told me that the dealership would not fix the rear shock from the leak because it would void the warranty (any truth to this??). I was thinking "eh, i'll take it to my mechanic or lexus to fix, no big deal"

So i'm there thinking...i might just buy the car if the price is right. I called up the salesman and he sound irritated that i was reaching out to him to spend money i told him i found a few problems and asked him "what happened to not finding any scratches?" he told me the car was still in good shape and that i would have to get it fixed myself. I asked the 2nd question..."since i found some problems that might cost me money is the price negotiable?" he said "no, blah blah we have the best lexus gs350 in california, if you want the car set up an appointment Monday" let me remind you that he just sounds irritated with me, probably for me doing my homework on a car worth about 40k and I'm putting a down payment of 17k cash! so i thank him for his time and hang up.

The search continues and i would like to thank every single one of you guys who commented and gave me feedback. I can not appreciate that enough!
Old 10-27-14, 04:44 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good call. Should be plenty opportunities down the road for that "perfect condition" vehicle. Good luck!
Old 10-27-14, 05:51 PM
jvinhj240
Rookie

You can find good vehicle at dealership and negotiate with internet manager only, You will be surprise, please get CPO or good warranty with used car. 2015 is coming out , so used car can be negotiate really great.
Glad you turned him down, private dealer are sucks, I know they are. I do work for them sometime. They're like snakes.
since you put down 17k, your payment should be around $250 with good credit (1.9%) for 48 months.
Old 10-27-14, 06:00 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

He said "we have the best lexus gs350 in California."

That's already a big lie, good thing u didn't buy it.
Old 10-27-14, 06:44 PM
Yoitsdee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jvinhj240
You can find good vehicle at dealership and negotiate with internet manager only, You will be surprise, please get CPO or good warranty with used car. 2015 is coming out , so used car can be negotiate really great.
Glad you turned him down, private dealer are sucks, I know they are. I do work for them sometime. They're like snakes.
since you put down 17k, your payment should be around $250 with good credit (1.9%) for 48 months.

That's what I'm hoping.The only problem is finding one lol. I've been looking everyday and nothing is coming up.

From the advice of this thread. I will no longer deal with private dealerships and only consider buying a CPO from a Lexus dealership.
Old 10-27-14, 06:47 PM
Yoitsdee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
He said "we have the best lexus gs350 in California."

That's already a big lie, good thing u didn't buy it.
Kinda glad I didn't go through with it. This salesman sounded so confident in the vehicle until I had someone check it out. Would've wasted my time and money even going to look at it. What I can take from this is all the advice this forum has given me. Thank you again to everyone
Old 10-28-14, 06:24 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good call, In my experience (and believe me I have had many as I have sold and bought cars from individuals and small car dealers on daily basis), if you find at least one Lie / inconstintancy with what the seller/dealer told you, RUN.

Dealer/Sellers will tell you anything over the phone just to get you there. Asking lots of specific question may help you avoid bad cars. Some times you have to reask them the same question again and again.

Typical questions I normally ask:
Is there any scratches on the front bumper?
Any scratches On the side of the doors?
Any weird noises?
Any leaks?
Does all the power features work?
Radio works?
AC- works?
Is this your car?
Is in inspected?
Is your name on the title?
Any visual blemishes?

It better then asking a general question like: How is the car? or Does the car have any scratches? When you ask specific questions, they are more likely to tell the truth.

So many times I called on a car, and the seller would tell me that the car is in very good condition, only to find out the car is at best Rough condition. Sellers will lie, but the once who don't, those the cars you may want to buy.

Last edited by FastTags; 10-28-14 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-28-14, 08:35 PM
Yoitsdee
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Fasttags. I will keep those questions in mind the next time I see the car I want. Much appreciated
Old 10-29-14, 05:41 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Highly recommend CPO from Lexus dealership.......NOT private dealers.......they are slick and twist the truth.