GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Buying from private dealership

Old 10-21-14, 10:32 PM
Yoitsdee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Speaking from experience; I KNOW most private dealers get about 80% of their cars from auctions. Some are trade-ins, others are dealership swap for a car that wont sell in a specific area. I usually WONT buy these cars because either they are reposessed cars, cars thats been in an accident and fixed, or (dare I say it) Flood cars.

Another reason is because the cars are either over priced, or the financing is a crap deal. I know someone who financed a 15k car at 8.9% which is terrible by financing means.

Its kind of buyer be-ware. To play devils advocate, Every now and then you would find a Gem in a lot that you wont find at a dealership so if you can avoid all the hassles, get them down to a decent price, do your own financing through a bank as well as inspect the car, it's worth a look. If not, then HARD PASS
First of all, thank you for contributing. I appreciate it! Every bit of info helps me one way or another.

So I'm having my mechanic (family friend) check out the car. This place is so confident that this car is 100% in mint condition that they are letting my mechanic come in and do a full inspection on it with their tools this Saturday. If my mechanic gives the green light that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car then I'm all for it. If he finds something wrong then the search continues.

The salesman is very confident in this car but I don't trust people who are in sales. I'm doing my research and homework before committing.

Thank you guys again for all your help. I do appreciate it very much.
Old 10-22-14, 11:45 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrote some tips about buying used car, at the bottom of this page

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...nd-buying.html
Old 10-22-14, 11:49 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Speaking from experience; I KNOW most private dealers get about 80% of their cars from auctions. Some are trade-ins, others are dealership swap for a car that wont sell in a specific area. I usually WONT buy these cars because either they are reposessed cars, cars thats been in an accident and fixed, or (dare I say it) Flood cars.

Another reason is because the cars are either over priced, or the financing is a crap deal. I know someone who financed a 15k car at 8.9% which is terrible by financing means.

Its kind of buyer be-ware. To play devils advocate, Every now and then you would find a Gem in a lot that you wont find at a dealership so if you can avoid all the hassles, get them down to a decent price, do your own financing through a bank as well as inspect the car, it's worth a look. If not, then HARD PASS
I concur, but this looks like was a company vehicle, I don't think anything wrong with it at least not by looking at the info I have here. I would look at it. If the price is right, why not. also, the car is still under the warranty. I would check it for sure.
Old 10-22-14, 12:22 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

If it's not a salvage title/flood, I'd take a car from a private used lot. Considering it's a Lexus, you're much better off than the other person who bought a Euro Lux car from the same lot.
Old 10-22-14, 02:10 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just reading this, I have this thought. If you think the deal is unbeatable, you should see if the dealer would let you take the vehicle for an hour or so to a Lexus dealership and have them look at it. You'll have to schedule this of course and it may cost you a few dollars. But that may worth the piece of mind. They'll run it through the inspection process like they do for CPO cars. If the sellers are up and up and looking for a sale, they should have no issues with letting you taking it. Maybe having to leave a deposit, or arm, leg, etc.

The flip side to this is if this does happen, and you take the car in to Lexus for a look-see, you may be able to have someone at that Lexus dealership "find" (they always seem to find cars) you something along the same lines. Worth the effort if the deal is right!
Old 10-22-14, 02:38 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
If it's not a salvage title/flood, I'd take a car from a private used lot. Considering it's a Lexus, you're much better off than the other person who bought a Euro Lux car from the same lot.
Look high and low for signs of flood damage. Dirt in seat rails, under the spare tire, the shelf the battery sits on, no matter how well a flood car is cleaned there are always signs. Good luck, let us know what you decide...........
Old 10-22-14, 03:51 PM
Yoitsdee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moose66
Just reading this, I have this thought. If you think the deal is unbeatable, you should see if the dealer would let you take the vehicle for an hour or so to a Lexus dealership and have them look at it. You'll have to schedule this of course and it may cost you a few dollars. But that may worth the piece of mind. They'll run it through the inspection process like they do for CPO cars. If the sellers are up and up and looking for a sale, they should have no issues with letting you taking it. Maybe having to leave a deposit, or arm, leg, etc.

The flip side to this is if this does happen, and you take the car in to Lexus for a look-see, you may be able to have someone at that Lexus dealership "find" (they always seem to find cars) you something along the same lines. Worth the effort if the deal is right!
Thought about this already and called the Lexus near the dealership. They quoted me $226 to have it inspected. i know $226 is small change compared to a $42k car but if they do find something wrong with it then i'm out $226 and going home emptied handed. Thats why i'm having my mechanic come in Saturday morning and use their service center to his advantage. Hoping that he doesn't find anything wrong i will buy the car.
Old 10-22-14, 05:11 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yoitsdee
Thought about this already and called the Lexus near the dealership. They quoted me $226 to have it inspected. i know $226 is small change compared to a $42k car but if they do find something wrong with it then i'm out $226 and going home emptied handed. Thats why i'm having my mechanic come in Saturday morning and use their service center to his advantage. Hoping that he doesn't find anything wrong i will buy the car.
Very good approach. I can understand dropping $226 and possibly getting nothing is a bit of a hard swallow. But is sounds like you are doing your homework. Best of luck with it. You're putting in the time and effort. Hope it pays off. And if it does turn out to be a deal, open negotiations again! Go lower!
Old 10-22-14, 07:12 PM
Yoitsdee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moose66
Very good approach. I can understand dropping $226 and possibly getting nothing is a bit of a hard swallow. But is sounds like you are doing your homework. Best of luck with it. You're putting in the time and effort. Hope it pays off. And if it does turn out to be a deal, open negotiations again! Go lower!
Thank you for the kind words sir!

If it's not a good deal then I'll walk outta that place, his loss not mines. I'm putting a serious cash down payment so hopefully I can use that to my advantage.
Old 10-22-14, 11:50 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

$226 is worth the investment, considering that you'll pay thousands of dollars of regret otherwise.

I owned two salvage titles way back in the day, one ran fine, the other was a money pit, both Hondas.
Old 10-23-14, 10:02 AM
Yoitsdee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by islandbeef
$226 is worth the investment, considering that you'll pay thousands of dollars of regret otherwise.

I owned two salvage titles way back in the day, one ran fine, the other was a money pit, both Hondas.
its just the problem of spending $226 to find out something wrong with the car and me walking away from the deal. They stated that they did all of the necessary inspections are their facility but I can't take the salesman word for it.
Old 10-23-14, 10:16 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

its just the problem of spending $226 to find out something wrong with the car and me walking away from the deal. They stated that they did all of the necessary inspections are their facility but I can't take the salesman word for it.
Of course not, take your guy and check it out. Most likely its a good car. lexus are super relaible and it still a new car. One owner, no accidents, southern car, on the warranty still, i have no doubts it a good GS.
Old 10-23-14, 03:37 PM
Yoitsdee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FastTags
Of course not, take your guy and check it out. Most likely its a good car. lexus are super relaible and it still a new car. One owner, no accidents, southern car, on the warranty still, i have no doubts it a good GS.
i hope so FastTags!

Thanks for everyone's input...can't thank you guys enough wish i was able to buy everyone who commented a beer!
Old 10-23-14, 04:42 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i hope so FastTags!

Thanks for everyone's input...can't thank you guys enough wish i was able to buy everyone who commented a beer!
You're my kind of guy!! We'll get along just fine lol

Last edited by sick21; 10-23-14 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-24-14, 01:28 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sick21
You're my kind of guy!! We'll get along just fine lol
+1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying from private dealership