GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Weak FSport Wheel Paint!

Old 10-22-14, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I always ask for an IS loaner, I like zipping around. They're fun to drive.
Old 10-22-14, 10:32 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geeze guys my GS350 AWD isn't delivered yet and I'm having buyers remorse already !

If one buys the tire/rim insurance do they cover rubbing your wheel against a curb?

Coming from a '05 Acura TL which has been rock solid. Paint is still holding up GREAT and the only place my wheels are damaged is where I curbed them. Even then the rest of the clear coat has not peeled or discoloured. I'm always putting degreaser on them to get rid of tar and brake dust from the ceramic pads used.

I usually detail my car twice a year and the wheels get the exact same treatment. A four stage cleaning and polishing.
Old 10-22-14, 10:38 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yes curb rashes are covered if u buy the wheel protection plan.

And the body paint is good, no problem there, it's just this one wheel.

No remorse, just get it!
Old 10-22-14, 11:05 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
Geeze guys my GS350 AWD isn't delivered yet and I'm having buyers remorse already !

If one buys the tire/rim insurance do they cover rubbing your wheel against a curb?

Coming from a '05 Acura TL which has been rock solid. Paint is still holding up GREAT and the only place my wheels are damaged is where I curbed them. Even then the rest of the clear coat has not peeled or discoloured. I'm always putting degreaser on them to get rid of tar and brake dust from the ceramic pads used.

I usually detail my car twice a year and the wheels get the exact same treatment. A four stage cleaning and polishing.
13k+ mi on OEM wheels. No staining on paint. Doesn't happen to everyone. Just curb rash on one wheel. Did not get wheel protection plan b/c have aftermarket wheels now. No need for remorse.
Old 10-22-14, 11:23 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Any documentation on the tire/wheel warranty?
Did a internet search and it took me to Lexus Canada. They explicitly state warranty is only good for road hazards. Nothing mentioned about curb rash?

Thanks
Old 10-22-14, 11:29 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Found this on a Canadian Lexus site. Notice curb rash does not appear to be coverd?

Be prepared for bumps in the road. Despite your best efforts, you may at some point encounter unavoidable hazards, directly in your path. A huge pothole, shattered glass or other debris on the road are hazards that can be dangerous and they can be very costly when they cause damage to your tires and wheels.

For times like these, Lexus now offers Lexus Road Hazard Protection (LRHP).

LRHP Plans are available for 3, 4 or 5 year terms, for repair or replacement of tires and alloy wheels purchased and installed at any Lexus Dealership in Canada during the selected term.

What Equipment is Eligible?

Original Equipment and Replacement Tires: Summer, All Season & Winter
Original Equipment and Lexus Accessory Alloy Wheels
Your Lexus Dealership will ensure your repair or replacement is performed to the highest level of service, getting you back on the road quickly and with no hidden costs. Purchase LRHP at your Lexus Dealership.

Covered Expenses

LRHP covers the expenses involved in repairing or replacing a flat tire or replacing damaged alloy wheels (purchased and installed at a Canadian Lexus Dealership) caused by covered road hazards. A valid road hazard is defined as and limited to: potholes, cracks in pavement, nails, screws, bolts, glass, rocks and other debris found on a public roadway.

Tire repair or replacement
Alloy Wheel replacement (if applicable)
Labour
Valve stem
Balancing
Towing
Food and lodging
Provincial tire levy and taxes
Vehicle rental assistance
Roadside Assistance
Restrictions
Tire must have more than 3/32″ tread life remaining. If the tire cannot be safely repaired to industry standard then the program will cover the cost of a replacement tire identical to the original tire, or of like kind and quality if the original tire is no longer available. The program will cover the cost of a replacement alloy wheel identical to the original alloy selected term wheel, or of like kind and quality if the original alloy wheel is no longer available.
Old 10-22-14, 12:18 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

dseag2 did it 3 times already.
Old 10-22-14, 12:54 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
dseag2 did it 3 times already.
Yea I saw that, that's why I'm wondering if the U.S. program is different than the Canadian. Or is it up to the dealer how they handle curb rash.
Old 10-22-14, 01:59 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the only difference with the Canadian protection plan is the Moose clause.
Old 10-22-14, 03:05 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
I think the only difference with the Canadian protection plan is the Moose clause.
LOL, is that moose or Moosehead Beer clause?

wikipedia.org/wiki/Moosehead_Brewery
Old 10-22-14, 03:40 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Okay.. dealer called me n said my car is done. We'll see if the wheel looks like new again. Fingers crossed, hands crossed, legs crossed. Hope the paint matches.
Old 10-22-14, 03:45 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
If you've ever seen a car that's hit a Moose it isn't a pretty sight!! We have big animals up in these parts, not those little things you guys call Deer

Been down to Texas a few times and saw a lot of deer mounts and laughed my butt off that people actually took the time to mount them I just happen to live in an area where the Boon&Crocket Mule Deer world record was bagged

The problem with those Moose is that they have such long legs the Moose ends up being in the Cabin with you after smashing into it

In any case I think I've figured out the warranty issue, I was having. Wheel & Tire warranty does not cover accidental contact with curbs. However they offer another warranty called "after care" which covers curbing as well as doors dings, etc.
So that's the extra warranty I'll be buying As the ONLY damage to my TL is from curb rash and idiots pushing carts into my vehicle.

I sure hope Lexus impresses me as much as Acura did, damn near bought a TLX AWD. But the crappy seats, plain cheap looking interior and funky tranny/ engine management turned me off. The TLX is a heck of a nice vehicle for the $$. Don't forget I live in Canada where we always pay more for the exact same thing than our American cousins (even when the dollar is at par)?
Old 10-22-14, 04:43 PM
ohsown
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well 99alta, I have a case of Ontario curb rash that I have yet to take to the dealer. I'll post the results once I find out. I wasn't told about any after care warranty, but agree that curb rash was listed as a non warranty issue.
Old 10-22-14, 05:29 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ohsown
Well 99alta, I have a case of Ontario curb rash that I have yet to take to the dealer. I'll post the results once I find out. I wasn't told about any after care warranty, but agree that curb rash was listed as a non warranty issue.
That sucks!
But I suppose if we drive them, something is bound to happen.

I wasn't either told about "after care warranty" either? Texted my salesperson and he explained they were two different warranties. Someone is supposed to be sending me the details.
Come to think about it they didn't talk about extended warranty either.
Old 10-22-14, 07:37 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I got my car back.

They only fixed that area and it looks a lot better now, u can't tell it was there. I think the color matched pretty good. But there is that white line on the back from the buffing I guess. Well I'm not gonna bother with it.

So I asked the service guy and he said there is no limit for the claims and it will cover any curb rashes, road debris damages, and other wear and tear. He said that is what the protection is for, Road Hazards.

So I'd suggest u guys get the Wheel and Tires Protection Plan for ur new car, it's worth every penny!! Mine covers paint less dent removal and minor windshield cracks too.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 10-22-14 at 08:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weak FSport Wheel Paint!