GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus quality gone

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 11:13 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You noticed a lot of complaints here? Or just you complaining?

No rattles whatsoever for me.
Old 10-06-14, 11:45 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 3GS and 4GS both have rattles from the latch in the glove compartment going over rough pavement. Would I consider this poor build quality? Not at all.
Old 10-06-14, 01:54 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

The rattles I hear are the loose change in the coin box and my keys.
Old 10-06-14, 02:10 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Add thin and weak wheel paint to the list! How can their cheaper Camry wheels have better paint than a $60K GS wheels. I shouldn't be touching up wheels on a 2 months old car.
You're right, you shouldn't be touching up anything. After two months is not considered normal wear and tear. You should be back at your dealership demanding an explanation.
Old 10-06-14, 02:28 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your gs. I will say this is a very strange time in the car industry, what we are seeing is a lot of newer technology that maybe isn't quite where it needs to be yet. There is such an emphasis on performance and fuel economy...direct injection has been a nightmare for some brands...Carbon buildup, pump failures, cam failure. Timing chains have replaced the belts - and that was supposed to be a good thing - ask Audi and Cadillac owners how good that has been for them, with chains stretching and repair bills totaling more than $2500.00.

Even Honda has lost some customers over, perceived - lower quality - but I think Lexus is better than most, and certainly better than Mercedes, Audi or BMW.
Old 10-06-14, 02:45 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Oh my new 2014 Accord has uneven gap between on the trunk lid and body, and if I want to look for stuff I'm sure I'll find a lot more imperfections. But that's Honda and they're cheap, but if Lexus goes down to that level then I'm gonna have a problem. lol So far so good except the paint.
Old 10-06-14, 03:23 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My previous (3GS) had rattles and squeaks. The 4GS is dead quiet. Well, I had problems with my brakes making noise in the morning, but other than that its been super quite.
You just got a bad apple
Old 10-06-14, 03:54 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The only rattle in my 4GS, in the driver's door pilar, vanished at about 10K miles and has not returned. Except for my 1967 Mercedes 300 SEL, this is the tightest car I've ever had.
Old 10-06-14, 03:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Lexus may have a stellar reputation but like any automaker they are not perfect. Unfortunately for you seems like you got one of those cars. But a vast majority will disagree and say Lexus quality has gone nowhere but up which is true. A good number of improvements have solved the initial L-Finesse cost cutting and it continues to get better as Lexus elevates itself in the market. 1st place Lexus has 68 problems per 100 vehicles. 2nd place was Mercedes with 104 per 100 vehicles. So yeah..

Old 10-06-14, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
i have similar rattles, just made a post about it yesterday too.

i think it's more common than the forums would suggest, most people don't hear these things for the most part and say their car is rattle free, i bet if i got a ride i would notice the same rattles right away.
Lets not go down this road again...we don't have rattles...its not that we can't hear. Like jjscsix I cannot stand rattles, and aside from the cupholder rattle I mentioned that was repaired, I have no rattles. Sorry you have rattles, but those of us that say we don't...don't.

This is my 5th Lexus, its just as high quality as the other ones I've owned. The LS's obviously had some touches that the GS doesn't have, and the GS has touches the ES's didn't have...but all have been solid vehicles. I had a couple rattles repaired in the 2003 ES, but the 2010 ES was rattle free.
Old 10-06-14, 05:13 PM
AlDavison
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchase a 2005 and a 2008. I had not one single problem with either of them.
Old 10-06-14, 07:22 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM
The only rattle in my 4GS, in the driver's door pilar, vanished at about 10K miles and has not returned. Except for my 1967 Mercedes 300 SEL, this is the tightest car I've ever had.
Also had a rattle in the driver door pillar (first day I had the car), Adjusted the seat belt height and never had the problem again. No other rattles 10K miles. Do have a whine when coasting or just maintaining speed coming from the engine. Figured that was normal. Only hear it when the radio is off.
Old 10-06-14, 07:39 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29
You noticed a lot of complaints here? Or just you complaining?

No rattles whatsoever for me.
Well said. MY Lexus's quality is not gone. It is very much still there. In fact, I couldn't be happier with how the car has held up over the past 30 months and 18k miles, and it was a first-year model. Pretty sweeping (and false) generalization if you ask me.

It's like saying "Heidi Klum has lost her looks" because she has a wrinkle under one eye.
Old 10-07-14, 01:17 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wsykes
The slight vibration when the gas motors comes when in EV mode. This is normal. It's just like when you crank up any car. You will get a vibration when the engine starts...
No, it's different. Not normal engine startup.

Originally Posted by rjm
I'm wondering if my car was built in a different factory than those that have been exported to the Czech Republic. I do not own the hybrid model so there may be some quality differences there.
All GS are made in Japan in same factory. But yeah, there are for sure differences between EU and US models.

Originally Posted by modthispny
i think it's more common than the forums would suggest, most people don't hear these things for the most part and say their car is rattle free, i bet if i got a ride i would notice the same rattles right away.
I am sure too And if not I would like to bring both cars to the dealership to show them how silent I want my car

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
But that's Honda and they're cheap, but if Lexus goes down to that level then I'm gonna have a problem. lol So far so good except the paint.
That's what I was aiming at with my wife's Toyota Auris Wagon (like US Corolla but wagon). The price is 1/4 of GS and interior quality is better = no rattles.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
My previous (3GS) had rattles and squeaks. The 4GS is dead quiet. Well, I had problems with my brakes making noise in the morning, but other than that its been super quite.
You just got a bad apple
I had some rattles in my 3GS too but all of them came from the central console where navigation display was. And it was solved by some soft tapes. I bought that car 3 year old and owned it for next 5 years and was great and issues free, like my previous two IS's. But this 4GS is making me crazy and I am not happy I drive such a great car. I am afraid you are right I have a bad apple full of acid worms
Old 10-07-14, 03:47 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

To the OP, you should go back to your dealer and try to get all these issues fixed under their good will. From my past experience with Lexus cars, Lexus and it's dealers are very aware of their reputation for fault-free ownership and the importance of maintaining that reputation. You should get the dealership head mechanic to sit beside you on a test drive of your car while you point out the issues that arise during the drive. Give the dealership a chance to make it right before writing off the entire brand. Who knows, maybe you really got a lemon.

Quick Reply: Lexus quality gone