GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus quality gone

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 02:04 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus quality gone

I am quite new on this forum but I can noticed here a lot of complains about GS quality.

I have got 4th Lexus (two first gen IS and previous GS) and this one is the worst one in perspective of quality.

I am experiencing rattles:

1. Somewhere aroung glover box or trim panel above
2. Door panel - when I make a pressure to the whole door panel it squeaks. When I do the same in my wife's new Auris Touring Sport it is solid, no weird sound (in the car for the quarter price).
3. Central console (cupholders area) - again when I hit the console by my knee it squeaks.
4. Also aluminum trim right under the AC vent to the left of the steering wheel - or somewhere from this area, because I found if I am pressing the speaker above it disappears.

Next strange noises are when I am driving in slow speed and turning full right, it makes a tapping noise (brake caliper maybe?).

Sometimes it makes some strange noises from hybrid powertrain, especially when car is cold and I am going around 50kms and car switches from engine to battery only mode, there can be quick but noticable vibration (passanger also noticed it) like in the transmission.

Navigation can freeze (whole system slowdown) - will be solved by updating new firmware. Next Monday I am going to my 45kms service.

My previous issues with this GS:
1. Rear seats - bad leather quality - replaced under warranty but how it can went through the quality control?
2. Brakes squeaking - solved for now
3. AC smell (just during the spring or autumn when the temparature is around 15C and is wet) - I didn't noticed it during this summer. My previous GS had the same AC smell problem (solved by selling a car).
4. My front left LED light level was too high - twice. Solved by setting it again to the right level. Not explained why it was happening.

I would like to be happy to own this car but I am only on smooth roads. But honestly, on smooth roads are all cars silent, so why to spend too much money for Lexus? Sure, we want smooth and silent ride even on not smooth roads... I love the car, I love the power, I love the look, and I'd like to love it like DD car without all horrible sounds, rattles and squeaks. But this cars is probably unable to make it.

Lexus quality is gone...

PS: Sorry for my not perfect English.
Old 10-06-14, 02:56 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I've owned two GS 350s and not a single squeak ipor rattle out of either of them.
Old 10-06-14, 03:10 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Lucky you. Or deaf?
Old 10-06-14, 05:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No rattles here either.
The last generation GS has big time rattle issues.
Old 10-06-14, 06:16 AM
wsykes
Rookie

I have a 2013 GS Hybrid with none of the issues you described, except for the slight vibration when the gas motors comes when in EV mode. This is normal. It's just like when you crank up any car. You will get a vibration when the engine starts... Like I said, I don't have any squeaks or noises from my Lexus. This is my 4th Lexus, 3rd GS...

Last edited by wsykes; 10-06-14 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-06-14, 06:23 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i ve got a entire sound system in my trunk and i still got no rattles only the gas cap.

honestly EVERY car has its ups and downs lol. if there was a PERFECT car than all the other makers would be out of business.
Old 10-06-14, 07:12 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had my 4GS for 2 years now and have experienced NONE of the problems or symptoms that you have experienced. I'm wondering if my car was built in a different factory than those that have been exported to the Czech Republic. I do not own the hybrid model so there may be some quality differences there.

Last edited by rjm; 10-06-14 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-06-14, 07:25 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a hybrid and have no issues that I would not expect from any car. I hear the occasional squeak, creak, or whatever you want to call it. But it is not enough for me to question the build quality of the car. I have had several Lexus vehicles over the years. Over the years I've had the ES, GX, SC, IS-C, and now have an IS and my second GSh. Hell every car I have owned occasionally emits an unusual noise/rattle/squeak of some type. That's why they come with stereos!
Old 10-06-14, 08:33 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

By the mileage I have on my Lexus and wife's new 4Runner, I have had a few vehicles that were lemons by now or close to being a lemon. I'm very happy with my Toyota products and would recommend them.
Old 10-06-14, 08:42 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Add thin and weak wheel paint to the list! How can their cheaper Camry wheels have better paint than a $60K GS wheels. I shouldn't be touching up wheels on a 2 months old car.
Old 10-06-14, 09:08 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Looking at the big picture here, compared to the European brands like BMW and Land Rover, these issues are really small and minor.

And I'm speaking from experience.
Old 10-06-14, 09:42 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have similar rattles, just made a post about it yesterday too.

i think it's more common than the forums would suggest, most people don't hear these things for the most part and say their car is rattle free, i bet if i got a ride i would notice the same rattles right away.
Old 10-06-14, 10:30 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
i have similar rattles, just made a post about it yesterday too.

i think it's more common than the forums would suggest, most people don't hear these things for the most part and say their car is rattle free, i bet if i got a ride i would notice the same rattles right away.
Not in mine you wouldn't. I HATE rattles. I make my wife drive the car while I try to find them.

The opposite is usually true though of the point you are trying to make. Forums make all cars look like piles of cow patties because people post their problems but seldom post no problems. And forum regulars are enthusiasts who are far more critical than the typical owner.
Old 10-06-14, 10:56 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I def have no rattles there are some creaks here and there but no rattles and I know what they sound like from my 3GS.
Old 10-06-14, 11:12 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by neegroy
i ve got a entire sound system in my trunk and i still got no rattles only the gas cap.
I put two layers of dynamat behind the gas door and my sub still makes it rattle a bit

Quick Reply: Lexus quality gone