GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

This car is a rattle box.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 06:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Yeah. And my car actually doesn't look too dirty. It doesn't look good/clean by any means but during the summer when it's dusty my cars usually look a lot worse. That and the last rain washed off a lot of the mud.
Well, I guess you're probably used to those conditions. I assume you probably grew up there, so you knew what to expect.
Old 01-07-15, 06:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I saw the pic, the pain!
Old 01-08-15, 02:19 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When I put pressure on the center arm rest or compartment cover it makes a noise, anyone eles ?
Old 01-08-15, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, no such issue here...
Old 01-08-15, 02:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thekhmer
When I put pressure on the center arm rest or compartment cover it makes a noise, anyone eles ?
No, no noise...
Old 01-08-15, 02:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My GS has been so great and trouble free,I just bought it off lease.
It's been great but I do only have 9500 miles on her.
Old 01-08-15, 02:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I saw the pic, the pain!
I think sick21 goes stump jumping, rock climbing and mud surfing out there in New Mexico.
Old 01-08-15, 02:45 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Get a cat back... You won't hear anything over the drone lol.
another vote for exhaust/subs.
Old 01-08-15, 06:48 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think sick21 goes stump jumping, rock climbing and mud surfing out there in New Mexico.
I wish my life was that exciting. Haha unfortunately I only slum it up on the dirt road testing my car for rattles lol
Old 02-04-15, 06:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Originally Posted by sick21
I wish my life was that exciting. Haha unfortunately I only slum it up on the dirt road testing my car for rattles lol
This would bring some excitement to your life as you slum it up the dirt road as you test for rattles!

Old 03-18-15, 12:59 PM
keystone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - just had my 5k mile service.

Of course, the service tech couldn't reproduce the clicking sound. I suspect that I was hearing at least two "rattles" - but more like a tapping. One seemed to come from where the aluminum trim pieces come together under the front left vent. The other seemed to come near the front left speaker. I was with the tech during one test drive. We drove over bumpy areas and the noise would not occur. The outdoor temps were about 60 degrees F, so maybe too warm.

The technician (the dealer's expert at rattles and odd noises) said that even if he could reproduce the sound, he may not be able to fix it.

I left my car for 5 days!!! Each morning, they would drive it and never did hear the noise.

But, there was a bulletin on a 2013 GS about coil locator pins. I asked the technician to explain so I could relay the info here -

He said that this issue has been occurring since 2010 and that a bulletin hasn't been yet issued for 2014 (my car's year) but will be. What he explained to me is that guide pins exist for the installation of the windshield. Once the glue takes hold, the pins are no longer necessary but can move and make a tapping noise. He cut the pins. He wasn't sure if his repair would be sufficient, but he said that if the noise continues - or gets worse - then he knows that this is the problem.

I haven't heard the noise since picking up my car. If I do, I will update this post.

The other "issue" that I had was the exhaust tips (silver colored) were oxidizing. The dealership replaced these and at first made it seem like I was unreasonable in expecting this. This discoloration started before I bought the car, which was at 10 miles! Since the service manager was fairly certain that this oxidation was caused from Colorado's application of magnesium chloride onto the roads, I asked for the old tips. I could then switch them out in the winter. He said that lexus has actually visited this area because of these tip issues, and so the defective tips are returned to lexus. Seems like a development area in need...
Old 03-19-15, 05:16 PM
Kayman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a single rattle (knock wood) in my 2015 GS F sport AWD after two months. Love the car more each day.
Old 03-20-15, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by keystone
The other "issue" that I had was the exhaust tips (silver colored) were oxidizing. The dealership replaced these and at first made it seem like I was unreasonable in expecting this. This discoloration started before I bought the car, which was at 10 miles! Since the service manager was fairly certain that this oxidation was caused from Colorado's application of magnesium chloride onto the roads, I asked for the old tips. I could then switch them out in the winter. He said that lexus has actually visited this area because of these tip issues, and so the defective tips are returned to lexus. Seems like a development area in need...
This is rectified with the simple application of a little metal polish every month or so.

I use this:

http://www.autogeek.net/motmagalpol.html

Unreasonable to expect replacement I agree. Every car I've ever owned has needed routine polishing of the exhaust tips/finishers. This will continue to happen in the summer too, its exposed metal...its going to need to be polished and maintained. Sitting on the lot...they're going to oxidize sure.
Old 12-20-15, 10:25 AM
TEarlGrey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question subtle clunking noise from front and rear

Originally Posted by modthispny

4) rear seats/back shelf - again, if im driving on bumpy roads, makes horrible clunky noise.
Is it only over sharp bumps (potholes, expansion joints) or any bumps?

Last edited by TEarlGrey; 12-20-15 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-25-15, 04:54 PM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
before i get into my rant, i STILL love this car, and will most likely lease another one (white on red f-sport) when my lease is up in march of '15 if i don't get a killer deal on a bmw m4.

just too many rattles inside, see list below.

1) aluminum trim right under the AC vent to the left of the steering wheel, on bump roads makes a very annoying ticking sound but if i press on it it disappears. i will have them look into it at my 30k oil change.

2) headliner by the map light - if i listen to loud music with the ML, this part rattles, or if someone slams the doors hard, it rattles, but if you hold the map light section it doesn't make noise.

3) headliner near the center of the car - if im driving on bumpy roads, this things make an awful clunky noise.

4) rear seats/back shelf - again, if im driving on bump roads, makes horrible clunky noise.

i'm in driving on smooth roads, the car has no rattles, but on rough roads i definitely have to turn up the sound system as it gets inexcusably rattly.

also, we were going to dinner last night and my friend in the front passenger seat told my friend in the back to pull up his window (this is bc of the wind noise) that comes from the b pillar area so he thought his window was down. SMH!

again, i love this car, but just some rattles i wouldn't expect.

i know some of you will say your cars are whisper quite, even in bumpy roads and no wind noise. I congratulate you for a quiet GS, but i know there have been quite a few posts here complaining about rattles and wind noise so i definitely know i'm not the only one.

oh yes, and 30k on the ODO.

RE: 1) aluminum trim right under the AC vent to the left of the steering wheel, on bump roads makes a very annoying ticking sound but if i press on it it disappears. i will have them look into it at my 30k oil change.

My 2013 GS-350 has done this constantly. I brought it to the shop 4 times and it stops for a day ot two then it's back. I just traded for the 2015 GS-350 and oh how I thought this was going to get rid of of the ticking sound on bumpy roads. Well it NEVER!! My God, what the heck is this ticking? I barely touch the dash and bam, it's gone. When and if you find what it is please please, let me know so I can let the dealer know.

Quick Reply: This car is a rattle box.