GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

This car is a rattle box.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 12:56 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The dealer just has a quick test drive to help them identify rattles.
My friend had rattles on his BMW 6er. He took it to the dealership in Munich, Germany. They said: "This car is a premium brand and there shouldn't be any rattles." He left the car there for week, they drove it several times and were looking for the all rattles. Step by step. Now he is having perfectly solid rattles free 6er. Why can't be same attitude by Lexus dealers? I don't care how long they are finding the problem if they lend me loaner. That's their job.

Why anybody would be annoyed having to show the dealer where a rattle comes from is beyond me.
I told them where the rattles are coming from and also said if I make the pressure here and here and there the rattles stop. Or you thought I said "it has rattles, solved it"

Are you careful when driving to avoid chuck holes and pot holes? Seeing that you said elsewhere that you had a leaking rear damper also my guess is no...hitting a ton of big potholes and stuff will cause rattles too.
Again, this GS is my 4th Lexus. All were driven on same roads, by me, avoiding potholes as much as possible. But none had so much problems like this 4GS. Truthfully none had any issues except maintanance. For comparison 3gen was GS300 and when I sold it was 8 years old with 135k kms on ODO. But for sure 4GS is more stiffer because it's F Sport on 19" and it is hybrid with very heavy rear because of batteries there (+200kg). I read somewhere that 3GS hybrids were having some issues with rear dampers too.
Old 10-17-14, 11:05 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw how unorthodox the rear suspension is on the 4GS for space saving purposes. The springs and shock bodies are separate. I wonder if on the hybrid, the springs are underrated (for ride compliance) and that leads to shocks blowing out.

I'm not worried because this is the first I've heard of this problem, and I don't have a hybrid.
Old 10-17-14, 11:29 AM
LSWAG
Driver School Candidate

turn the radio up! lol
Old 10-17-14, 11:53 AM
keystone
Driver School Candidate

lswag -

I DID turn up the radio :-). For some reason, I can still hear my rattle. My husband cannot hear it...
Old 10-17-14, 04:09 PM
jvinhj240
Rookie

I have the same rattles but I just keeping thinking it come from the Engine some how. I will bring to dealer have them take a look.
Old 10-20-14, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by ZbynekZ
My friend had rattles on his BMW 6er. He took it to the dealership in Munich, Germany. They said: "This car is a premium brand and there shouldn't be any rattles." He left the car there for week, they drove it several times and were looking for the all rattles. Step by step. Now he is having perfectly solid rattles free 6er. Why can't be same attitude by Lexus dealers? I don't care how long they are finding the problem if they lend me loaner. That's their job.
I can give you examples of where Lexus dealers have done similar things. Dealers are independently owned, and quality varies...with every brand. Your friend's experience is with one dealer in an entirely different country than where you live.

For comparison 3gen was GS300 and when I sold it was 8 years old with 135k kms on ODO. But for sure 4GS is more stiffer because it's F Sport on 19" and it is hybrid with very heavy rear because of batteries there (+200kg). I read somewhere that 3GS hybrids were having some issues with rear dampers too.
Just go to the 3GS forum and read about rattles. Now that car has rattle problems.
Old 10-20-14, 01:28 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think my rear sunshade jiggles going over the washboards on my dirt road. Not positive that's it yet though. I have so many child seats in the back it might be one of them lol
Old 10-21-14, 01:29 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

I can give you examples of where Lexus dealers have done similar things.
Give me example wherever in Europe and I'll go there. Trully.
Old 10-21-14, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by ZbynekZ
Give me example wherever in Europe and I'll go there. Trully.
I don't know anybody in Europe to have specific stories in Europe but I can give you many examples here including my own.
Old 12-28-14, 04:49 AM
SikSix
Driver School Candidate

My aluminum trim piece under AC vent left of steering wheel is still rattling after having the car in 4 times for same issue. They have replaced the piece and tried putting felt in it. Anyone else have the same issue and if so did you get it fixed? It definitely rattles more when the weather is colder.
Old 12-28-14, 09:19 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SikSix
My aluminum trim piece under AC vent left of steering wheel is still rattling after having the car in 4 times for same issue. They have replaced the piece and tried putting felt in it. Anyone else have the same issue and if so did you get it fixed? It definitely rattles more when the weather is colder.
I had similar issue and thought it was the trim or vent too, but it was on the passenger side. It ended up being a loose speaker grille and loose wiring harness in the dash. It only made sounds sporadically but was really apparent when it was cold. Tell the dealer to try to adjust air vent opening while hearing rattle to see if it subsides.
Good luck!
Old 12-28-14, 09:21 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWAG
turn the radio up! lol
The heavy bass will shake everything loose.
Old 12-28-14, 10:15 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI my 2 month old '15 F-sport with 3k miles is starting to start making rattling noises.

the car is pretty quiet on smooth roads but if you go through the bumpy and poor roads of the 101/405 you definitely hear rattles from what seems to be the front passenger door area..the same problem spot of my '13 F-Sport.

my friend also got a '15 f-sport last week and driving back from the dealer definitely heard rattles in poor road conditions.

maybe it has to do with the stiffer suspension of the f-sport when you drive over those bad roads?i know some of you say here you cars are rattle free..but that's like 5/5 f-sports i've been in that all have the same rattles.
Old 12-28-14, 11:48 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone have any problem with the rear suspension creaking when you or someone exit the car ? Sorta like an old car or old in greased suspension
Old 12-29-14, 06:21 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thekhmer
Anyone have any problem with the rear suspension creaking when you or someone exit the car ? Sorta like an old car or old in greased suspension
ME! Just noticed this at about 5k miles. Thought maybe because it was cold? Hope it doesn't get worse.

Quick Reply: This car is a rattle box.