GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

This car is a rattle box.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 08:00 AM
joehp1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks MH6 for tip #3. Been having the same problem for over a year. I put a pice of foam between the speaker and windshield that fixed it somewhat. Never thought it was a lose screw! Tightened it and took foam out and the problem was fixed!!!!
Old 10-06-14, 10:03 AM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joehp1
Thanks MH6 for tip #3. Been having the same problem for over a year. I put a pice of foam between the speaker and windshield that fixed it somewhat. Never thought it was a lose screw! Tightened it and took foam out and the problem was fixed!!!!
Awesome ..... glad I could help
Old 10-07-14, 07:10 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

I feel with you... I am experiencing very similar issues. It is good to hear I am not the only crazy one hearing these sounds from universe

As I read the tips here about foam I want to fill all my GS's interior by foam

Or stop listening music using Mark Levinson and start wearing earphones reducing background noise
Old 10-07-14, 09:42 AM
ayoddOny
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was the only unlucky one with those rattles. The rattles will be a lot louder when the outside weather is colder. Something I'd never expect on a 60k car . . . I've owned a 2005 G35 coupe right before my F-Sport but I will have to say, that car rattled a lot less than my current GS right now which is pretty sad.

Many people don't really care about small rattles but it drives me NUTS so I always listen to my music louder than I did in my previous cars because I don't want to hear the rattles. It was to the point where I got so mad and I wanted to get rid of this car.

I got rattles coming from the door trim where the lock / and window buttons are from both passenger and driver side. There was an DIY to cover with foam to kill the sound but its crazy how I will have to do such mod on a brand new 60k car vs on my G35 ( a 8 year old car) made such a quieter ride.

Very disappointed on the 4GS with the rattles. . . GS350 Rattle-Sport.
Old 10-07-14, 10:02 AM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told to watch out with foam fillers since they can expand and crack your trim pieces from the inside.

I don't have any rattles thus far at 10K miles, but frankly I would just go pester the Lexus dealer to no end until they were fixed. Now my Chrysler T&C is another story and I am seriously considering between drastic measures to cut down the sound or just flipping it for a Mercedes GL...
Old 10-07-14, 11:13 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ayoddOny
I got rattles coming from the door trim where the lock / and window buttons are from both passenger and driver side. There was an DIY to cover with foam to kill the sound but its crazy how I will have to do such mod on a brand new 60k car
The dealer has a fix for it, all you have to do is drive over there and show them. I had it done, rattles from the door controls on both sides are gone.
Old 10-07-14, 12:21 PM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Originally Posted by ayoddOny
Something I'd never expect on a 60k car . . .
You can be happy you spent just 60k USD. If I can convert the price for 450h F-Sport in EU it will be 90k USD
Old 10-07-14, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Just take it back to dealer and have them fix these rattles guys. No reason to ride around miserable about it.
Old 10-10-14, 10:16 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
I've been told to watch out with foam fillers since they can expand and crack your trim pieces from the inside.

I don't have any rattles thus far at 10K miles, but frankly I would just go pester the Lexus dealer to no end until they were fixed. Now my Chrysler T&C is another story and I am seriously considering between drastic measures to cut down the sound or just flipping it for a Mercedes GL...
Lol really. Are you surprised you have a rattling T&C? Those things are junk.

Thankfully my GS doesn't rattle yet but only at 3k mi. I live down a bumpy dirt road and cross two cattle guards going one way. So time will tell, I'm sure there will be several rattles eventually.
Old 10-11-14, 06:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I made a point today of driving with the radio off just so I could hear whether or not there were any rattles. No rattles at all. Mine is a '13 with 18k miles that I've had for almost 3 years. I guess I'd better hang onto it.
Old 10-11-14, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Apparently you'd better get your hearing checked LOL
Old 10-11-14, 08:15 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess the rattles issues seem to be hit or miss, sadly i got the rattles. hopefully better luck w if i get a 2nd gs350 f sport.

@dseag2, do you have wind noise from the passenger side?
Old 10-13-14, 09:30 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

this is very horrible for Lexus, hopefully by 2016 all the rattles will be gone. I guess thats why they say never buy a car on a new redesign because something is bound to be defective in the first few years until they fix it
Old 10-13-14, 12:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
i guess the rattles issues seem to be hit or miss, sadly i got the rattles. hopefully better luck w if i get a 2nd gs350 f sport.

@dseag2, do you have wind noise from the passenger side?
No, none. The only noise I hear is road noise from the tires on concrete roads.
Old 10-14-14, 08:27 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So much depends on the dealerships when it comes to, what they perceive as minor, as to fixing the problem or not. Took my old ES in for service and mentioned the body molding under the door was loose and every time I got out of the car my leg bumped the molding and it rattled (seemed loose). They simply dismissed it....said nope.....that's normal. Many of these dealerships don't want to be bothered unless it's broke. I'm sorry I have only one choice in my town. A few years ago I drove 100 miles to Atlanta to purchase a car. Service department was great.....at that time. I have heard all the staff has changed, new management, and service has declined. Even if you go to Lexus Customer Care they will refer you to the dealership and from then on you are labeled as a problem and the service gets worse.

Quick Reply: This car is a rattle box.