GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

This car is a rattle box.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 12:13 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This car is a rattle box.

before i get into my rant, i STILL love this car, and will most likely lease another one (white on red f-sport) when my lease is up in march of '15 if i don't get a killer deal on a bmw m4.

just too many rattles inside, see list below.

1) aluminum trim right under the AC vent to the left of the steering wheel, on bump roads makes a very annoying ticking sound but if i press on it it disappears. i will have them look into it at my 30k oil change.

2) headliner by the map light - if i listen to loud music with the ML, this part rattles, or if someone slams the doors hard, it rattles, but if you hold the map light section it doesn't make noise.

3) headliner near the center of the car - if im driving on bumpy roads, this things make an awful clunky noise.

4) rear seats/back shelf - again, if im driving on bump roads, makes horrible clunky noise.

i'm in driving on smooth roads, the car has no rattles, but on rough roads i definitely have to turn up the sound system as it gets inexcusably rattly.

also, we were going to dinner last night and my friend in the front passenger seat told my friend in the back to pull up his window (this is bc of the wind noise) that comes from the b pillar area so he thought his window was down. SMH!

again, i love this car, but just some rattles i wouldn't expect.

i know some of you will say your cars are whisper quite, even in bumpy roads and no wind noise. I congratulate you for a quiet GS, but i know there have been quite a few posts here complaining about rattles and wind noise so i definitely know i'm not the only one.

oh yes, and 30k on the ODO.
Old 10-05-14, 01:59 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I've had two GS 350s now and not a single rattle in either.
Old 10-05-14, 01:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The only rattle I've had is the center console cupholders. Replaced and no more rattles...28750 on the clock.
Old 10-05-14, 02:11 PM
Amajed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I share the same experience, it does have some weird rattle sounds, and yes they are annoying, I also found out that the passenger seat does make some noise if no one is setting on it, my car is 20K on ODO and those noises are way back like from I first got the car

also if the BASS on my stereo is on higher level than medium it will make some rattle sounds from some parts of the car.
Old 10-05-14, 03:02 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I've had two GS 350s now and not a single rattle in either.
lol.

i wish you lived in so. cal would have loved to get a ride in it on my roads to see for myself.
Old 10-05-14, 05:05 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Get a cat back... You won't hear anything over the drone lol.
Old 10-05-14, 05:59 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2013 AWD Luxury edition and some annoying issues as well. Very disappointing for a car of this cost, I have had 4 other Lexus and did not have this many rattles and such.

1. The hold handles over head on each door ...... make creaking noises over bumps. Press these with my fingers and they make noise, noisy pulling them down as well. Just sad.

2. The area where the sun shades retract on each rear door creak when going over bumps and if I press my hand on that area.

3. Had a rattle in the right front speaker area of the dash that sounded awful going over bumps, took to dealer....... missed it when looking, I did my own troubleshooting and found that the bolt closes to the pillar .... there are 3 bolts on the speaker ..... was loose and the metal washer bouncing around over bumps, amplified itself through the body metal. Tighten it ..... problem solved.

4. Have a noise under the radio/climate control system that is making a fan rubbing noise, RPM's of the problem rule out HD and no cd's in system. Very annoying especially if in acc mode. Hear everytime turn car off as well. Took it dealer and they heard it no problem, but was going to have to consult with engineering. We compared to other 2013's and problem did not exist on them. No telling whats going to have to be done with this.

Taking it in this week and get this stuff fixed if I can.

So feel your pain.
Old 10-05-14, 06:51 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My hold handle on my side also squeaks but not enough to bother me. My passenger side seatbelt rattles, but I buckle it if no one is in the seat. No biggie. Our roads in East Dallas are constantly under construction, so after almost 3 years I'm pleased with how few rattles I actually have.
Old 10-05-14, 07:01 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

i actually had the driver side hold handle issue too but took it apart and insulated it and it went away.

the car is due back soon and just dont feel like dealing with them taking apart the whole headliner and rear shelf to try to get it fixed.
Old 10-05-14, 07:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm really sorry you're having all these rattle issues. I thought the roads in CA were pretty decent. We're all potholes in the metro area of Dallas. Lexus should make it right for you.
Old 10-05-14, 07:15 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

All interiors will make some type of noise eventually. But what you describe seems excessive. I'd take it to the dealer.
Old 10-05-14, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Maybe you'll get luckier with the next one...
Old 10-05-14, 08:41 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

The next time you take a test drive, turn off the radio and keep the conversations at a minimum.

Listen to the car. Let it do all the talking.
Old 10-05-14, 08:41 PM
darinmg
Driver

I'd be pissed if this was on my NEW car. I bought a 2007 GS a year ago, and still wasn't happy to have a lexus that creeks.
Last weekend I tore the dash nav and ac vests out. I put a piece of sticky backed felt (from Michael's) on every plastic/plastic contact point. Solved 95% of my issues. AMAZING difference. Still creeks a little at the windshield, but I think I can fix that too. My happiness with the car went back up to the level when I bought it. I hope they take care of it for you. If not, I'd start on it yourself. It's not as hard as you might think...
Old 10-05-14, 09:42 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by islandbeef
The next time you take a test drive, turn off the radio and keep the conversations at a minimum.

Listen to the car. Let it do all the talking.
it was pretty quiet when i got it, but to be honest i didn't expect rattles from the car either way when i test drove it. whatever rattle i heard in early ownership has gone away and new ones have formed now.

Issue though with paying attention during test drives is most cars brand new are pretty quiet, usually rattles start to come up as you add on the miles.

Quick Reply: This car is a rattle box.