GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus navigation map updates for only $99

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 08:12 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Got my ACN today with the projector led fog lights. Went to my Toyota dealer for update the map. They able to activate it but they don't have the correct USB that contain the maps data to download to the car. Scheduled my stealership Lexus dealer next week, $120 before tax just to download the map. Ouch!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus navigation map updates for only -img_5761_resize.jpg  
Old 11-01-14, 04:54 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just took my 2 3/4 y.o. GS into the dealer for an oil change. They asked if I wanted the 10k check done as I was only at 7,100 miles total. I said "Why not?" and said I remembered that the 10k oil change was free. The service advisor said the 10k usually had to be conducted within a year of first use.

At that point, I asked the SA how much the 10k would be. He said $400 but let me check with the CSR as see what could be done. He came back and said it would all be free including the cabin air filter. I said, "Sold!"

Also, the nav update was $99 plus $99 for the install. He said there were three map updates since I took delivery. Also, there was no nav functionality update only the map data itself. I decided to hold off on the map update until I could verify if and when the latest release was made.
Old 11-01-14, 05:37 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onexcite
Got my ACN today with the projector led fog lights. Went to my Toyota dealer for update the map. They able to activate it but they don't have the correct USB that contain the maps data to download to the car. Scheduled my stealership Lexus dealer next week, $120 before tax just to download the map. Ouch!
I went to get update. Maps didn't update until they performed a firmware update. All is good now.
Old 11-01-14, 06:49 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Anything different with the firmware update? Any functionality changes in the NAV itself? I was hoping they would fix the random slow start.
Old 11-01-14, 10:06 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally I hate the map update tax and labor involved. In this era of internet connectivity, it seems like the nav system is a decade behind. You can whip out any smartphone and have current nav data in your pocket within seconds. Cars should be no different, even if they have to use the phone to obtain this data.

I realize that product planning lifecycles prevent the latest and greatest tech to make it into your car quickly, and when they try to push too fast, you get the Infiniti Q50 and its problematic touchscreens and buggy software. Still, there should be a simple, standardized, web-based service that your car can pull data from via your smartphone or a 3g/4g board inside the car. Paying $200 plus to have a tech plug a dvd or USB into your car and futz with it in service menus is antiquated.
Old 11-01-14, 10:16 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Does Tesla have that technology? I know they can push updates for their cars over the air.

If they can do it then others should be able to do it too.
Old 11-01-14, 10:23 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Does Tesla have that technology? I know they can push updates for their cars over the air.

If they can do it then others should be able to do it too.
I imagine they have realtime data and a 4g connection in the dash with a data plan, phone not required. You can do crazy stuff remotely with their app including checking battery charge percentage and other analytical data. Audis also have realtime nav data, Volvos too even with their hilariously small screen. Volvos have some of the best traffic avoidance tech in the business.

The feed source can also be HD radio so cell data isn't always required, just like how XM/Sirius is the old way of providing non-interactive data (traffic, sports scores, weather forecasts). New GS's have switched over to HD radio for alot of this data but I believe the nav data is still old fashioned.

Can't really compare to Tesla though. Their whole car is one big orgasm of technology minus the tires and the seats.
Old 11-06-14, 10:31 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The fastest way to make Lexus change their tactics is STOP buying any of their vehicles equip with this kind of navigation.

Lexus way behind in tech toys and options compare to other manufactures.
Old 11-06-14, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The fastest way to make Lexus change their tactics is STOP buying any of their vehicles equip with this kind of navigation.

Not this again

This is not a Lexus specific issue. EVERY manufacturer handles nav this way. What manufacturer offers free GPS updates? My Jeep has Garmin nav, and I have to pay $170 for new map data, even when Garmin charges like $99 for updates until the end of time for their portable units...that does not apply to built in units.

I'm not trying to change the world, I'm not going to go without a car or an option I want to "change the way Lexus does things".
Old 11-06-14, 11:35 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Most of us are leasing these cars anyway and after 2-3 yrs we get rid of it, and maps don't change much in 3 yrs. Plus looking for POIs are slow on these systems anyway, it's faster to just pull out my phone and enter the address manually.

I'm not gonna update mine and I have a 4 yrs lease.
Old 11-06-14, 01:51 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really? Check out the piece of crap nav system in the BMW and maybe you'll change your mind.
Old 11-06-14, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The nav system in my friends new X5 is great...
Old 10-11-16, 10:42 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some manufacturers are now offering the technology to display approved phone apps (google maps included) on the nav screen
Old 10-11-16, 07:00 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Is this the latest software?
Old 10-22-16, 09:14 AM
xmind2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
Is this the latest software?
No. I have old maps (21-13-17 from June of 2013), but my Navigation software is V6614200 with Bluetooth version 21.220. I have checked just 2 weeks ago with a Toyota TechStream dealer tool and there were no other updates....unless they come with the new maps updates? But I have read the software updates are independent of the map data updates.

Quick Reply: Lexus navigation map updates for only $99