GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2010 BMW 650 or 2013 GSF or 450h

Old 10-02-14, 11:57 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I would consider the new 2015 GS 450h F-Sport Hybrid coming out. I can tell you we have nothing but problems with out 2013 BMW X5
HEY Black. Thanks for chiming in. Im still pushing the 450h playing catch up with you. the new 450h looks like the ticket but It's 20 grand out of my budget.

Originally Posted by ayoddOny
I was debating on almost the same thing...I came to the GS since I wanted to keep this car after the lease is up but it is a little boring for me to drive. So I am looking into used M3 and used 650 just like you
And I love them both, problem is both come with big ticket repairs. The 5 series is actually easier to get a good warranty on.

Originally Posted by blacksun
the only comparable Lexus model that has the power of the 650's V8 is the new RC-F... you'll get Lexus reliability and 460+hp to play with.
I like that car but I'm guessing it'll also cost around 60k. note this quote from CnD
" Despite that power, the RC F is still too heavy for it to compete with BMW’s new M4"

Originally Posted by tompass
Previous owner of BMW out of warranty and have no plans to ever go back. the GS is a smart compromise and I have enjoyed my trouble free driving immensely,
Hard to argue with that.
Old 10-02-14, 12:17 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As a previous owner of a 2006 5 series, I will NEVER go back! The car had so many damn problem I didn't know what warning light were supposed to come one when starting and which ones weren't. Seems like every time I was going to take a trip it ended up at the dealership. They were very nice and everyone knew me on a first name basis. But fortunately for me it was totaled on my way to the dealership while in limp mode. To this day I want to send that man a thank you card and a gift for helping me get out that car.
Old 10-02-14, 12:23 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Gotcha350 -I understood every word.

"I want to send that man a thank you card and a gift for helping me get out that car."
too funny
Old 10-02-14, 02:24 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L8Apex

I like that car but I'm guessing it'll also cost around 60k. note this quote from CnD
" Despite that power, the RC F is still too heavy for it to compete with BMW’s new M4"

Hard to argue with that.
So are you cross-shopping the M4 or the 650? Because if you are going to compare the Lexus against the best BMW for each metric, it is going to be a bit unfair...
Old 10-02-14, 02:43 PM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't have any kids, get the BMW 650.
Old 10-02-14, 08:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
3rd - The 6 series looks a lot like a Sebring to me.
Funniest remark ever, and true! That trunk and taillights... WTF?
Old 10-03-14, 12:39 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My mistake, I got so caught up thinking about the comparison I forgot your were looking for CPO.
Old 10-03-14, 08:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

HEY Black. Thanks for chiming in. Im still pushing the 450h playing catch up with you. the new 450h looks like the ticket but It's 20 grand out of my budget.
I understand that, if I didn't purchase this F-Sport I would easily go and get the 15' F-Sport hybrid. I'm most likely going to go for a 2016 GS F-Sport again hopefully more power in there than what I got. They are both good cars and hybrid will def give you better gas mileage.
Old 10-03-14, 09:30 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Like another person or two may have mentioned, if you're really looking for a sporty drive, consider a Panamera or maybe even a used 911/Caymen (though the latter are both small)? I love the older BMWs but shy'd away because of repair concerns (Dad had one for a while, drove it sparingly, and STILL had troubles). Maintenance will be more on the Porsche, but reliability is also higher.

The only thing I feel like I'm missing with the GS is that bottom end punch in low RPM, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on having a fun car to drive. The dynamics are great to me, and while I am biased, I certainly wouldn't consider it boring.
Old 10-03-14, 07:57 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like many folks pointed out, a BMW out of warranty will be a pain in the butt plus on your wallet. If you could find a 2010 650 with a factory CPO warranty, even still, you've only got a few years coverage left, at the best and then the maintenance cost will be there. So if you're looking for a long term prospect, I think you're better off with the Lexus GS F Sport. I had a 2008 GS and currently drive a modded BMW 550i MSport. Still, I'm looking to trade for a new 2015 GS because I just don't want the high maintenance cost once the warranty is up.
Old 10-05-14, 07:15 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
BMW = Break My Wallet. They're fun as hell to drive, and beautiful to look at, but a nightmare to own. My ex used to drive a 330ci, and that thing would drain her bank account on a yearly basis, averaging like $3,000/yr in repairs, on top of the routine maintenance. My brother's 5-series wasn't any different, and neither have all the others my friends/family have owned. I'd snag up the GS350F if I were you, they're beautiful cars.
Funny you mentioned that. I owned an '01 330ci. Honestly, it was an impulse purchase because I'd always wanted a BMW. It was a great car to drive, but I traded it after 8 months for a Lexus because I just wanted something more comfortable.

While I had the car I had the BMW dealer install a factory spoiler. The Lexus dealer where I traded it in called me to ask who had installed the spoiler because it flew off the car while the new owner was driving.
Old 10-05-14, 08:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Old 10-06-14, 08:37 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
if you're really looking for a sporty drive, consider a Panamera or maybe even a used 911/Caymen... The only thing I feel like I'm missing with the GS is that bottom end punch in low RPM, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on having a fun car to drive.
A. i was shocked that the 2011 Pans could be had in the low 40s i'm gonna look into that.
B. Good to hear that you enjoy your 350. And by the cars you're recommending I think you know what i'm looking for suspension wise.

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
I think you're better off with the Lexus GS F Sport. I had a 2008 GS and currently drive a modded BMW 550i MSport. Still, I'm looking to trade for a new 2015 GS because I just don't want the high maintenance cost once the warranty is up.
That's the kind of input I was looking for. Nothing like hearing from owners that know the pros and cons of both cars. However I have heard that 2010 and up BMWs are much more reliable.
Old 10-09-14, 09:41 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

A. i was shocked that the 2011 Pans could be had in the low 40s i'm gonna look into that.
B. Good to hear that you enjoy your 350. And by the cars you're recommending I think you know what i'm looking for suspension wise.

That's the kind of input I was looking for. Nothing like hearing from owners that know the pros and cons of both cars. However I have heard that 2010 and up BMWs are much more reliable.
I'd look for an S or S4 with the V8, I've heard the most positive reviews of that motor, solid power and response, no turbos to cause problems. Although I should mention that's only word of mouth, I have no idea how the majority of folks feel about it. I'm sure you'll do your due diligence and find out if you're serious though. And yes, while I do like my GS a lot, the GS is not a Porsche in any regard, save for creature comforts.

A note on the BMWs, I have also heard they're getting better, but I don't think there are enough of the 2010+ with high mileage or age to know for sure.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-20-14, 06:18 AM
Mike00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I'd look for an S or S4 with the V8, I've heard the most positive reviews of that motor, solid power and response, no turbos to cause problems. Although I should mention that's only word of mouth, I have no idea how the majority of folks feel about it. I'm sure you'll do your due diligence and find out if you're serious though. And yes, while I do like my GS a lot, the GS is not a Porsche in any regard, save for creature comforts.

A note on the BMWs, I have also heard they're getting better, but I don't think there are enough of the 2010+ with high mileage or age to know for sure.

Good luck with your search.
What generation S4? current gen is Supercharged 6 although the S5 had the V8 for a little while. I own 13 S4 and the reality is the engine is bullet proof (they use this engine in multiple cars and have for years ) but the weak spot is the DSG (manual would have been more reliable long term) sport diff, and electronics. I've had 3 sensors go off in my two years of ownership. Two of them were nothing but a trip to Audi dealer still costs a few hundred bucks especially to replace a bad sensor. The other was a sport diff which had to be fully replaced under warranty. That would have cost me $8,000.

I LOVE the car but I know I can't own it out of warranty. Even a bad sensor can cost a few hundred at an Audi dealer. Let alone a transmisison ($10,000 or more) or something major. Great drivers car but because of how overbuilt they are, the small things add up.

All of the above is why I'm looking into a lease for a GS350 F-Sport, despite the fact that I absolutely love my car. It's not worth it in the long run and Audi is not a good lease company. BMW X drive, just isn't the same as RWD Cars. Which means it's a lexus for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 650 or 2013 GSF or 450h