GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

From GS to pre-owned RX, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-14, 04:50 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Unhappy From GS to pre-owned RX, suggestions?

I recently became a daddy and my modified GS is just not the right family car

I'm thinking to get a pre-owned 2013 RX350. I'm looking at the prices and I see them listed at $40K - $45K. Personally, I think I would never get that amount from the dealer for my GS with 28,XXX miles w/ MSRP of $67K. My past experience tells me that I will get low balled, and only get around $36,000 for my car. Selling the car privately and then looking for an RX is problematic for me, I can't be without a car.

My ideal solution is of course, to go to a dealer, do a trade in, get the RX and drive off without paying a cent. I never done this before, so I would love to hear from people with more experience.

Thanks
Old 09-26-14, 05:45 PM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on becoming a Dad! Try taking your car to Carmax and see what they offer you there. You don't have to buy a car from them, but they typically pay higher then a dealership would when you trade in. Me any my co workers have had good success with them and they do all the paperwork. They can give you a free appraisal that is good for 7 days.
Old 09-26-14, 06:42 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fsportjay
Congrats on becoming a Dad! Try taking your car to Carmax and see what they offer you there. You don't have to buy a car from them, but they typically pay higher then a dealership would when you trade in. Me any my co workers have had good success with them and they do all the paperwork. They can give you a free appraisal that is good for 7 days.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
Old 09-26-14, 07:11 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R

I recently became a daddy and my modified GS is just not the right family car

I'm thinking to get a pre-owned 2013 RX350
You are correct the GS is not the right family car. Unfortunately, the RX is not the right family car either. For infants and toddlers (your next few years), the correct vehicle is a minivan. The Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey are some of the best models on the road today. The minivan is a vehicle OPTIMIIZED for the SAFE and PRACTICAL transport of mothers and young children. It is designed with the needs of moms and kids foremost. Your needs, dad, are tertiary at best.

The minivan allows Mom to power OPEN (not just unlock) the sliding side door with just a push on her keyfob (while she's carrying baby in her arms). When she gets to the vehicle, she simply leans in a bit and plunks junior into his carseat. With a 4-door sedan (even a jacked-up hatchback like the RX), she has to open the rear door as wide as possible (not much in a crowded supermarket parking lot) and reach WAY IN to secure the baby in the seat. This stresses her back, arms, and shoulders. No biggie once or twice, but 4 or 5 times EVERY day - ouch!

The minivan also has excellent loading/unloading design. The rear hatch powers open and protects Mom and baby from the rain or snow as she's stowing the groceries and the stroller. The RX will do this, but a sedan won't. The reasonably high seating position gives Mom excellent visibility so she can see over cars in traffic and the short front end and tight turning radius gives her excellent manuverability in tight quarters like parking lots. Creature comforts abound including front-controlled rear AC for baby and she can easily reach around to take care of any emergencies in the second row seats. Try THAT in an RX! Finally, the flat floors and spacious cabin allow room for all the crap kids come with - bags for this and boxes for that. Some minivans even have on-board vacuum cleaners to clean up after the kids.

In short, you're out of the Lexus stable for the next few years. Go give the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna a good look-see. We'll be here when you get back...
Old 09-26-14, 07:29 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold my 2006 Mini Cooper s with 95k mi to Carmax for 6k. Lexus offered me 5k. Blue book was 7-10k. I probably could have sold it for over 7k if I would have listed it private. Car was clean. Just didn't want meeting up with strangers to sell the car. Sold it due to baby just like you. I didn't go the SUV route just because I despise driving one. Coming from a mini, a GS is plenty of space for me. Congrats btw

At least go to Carmax to get a quote.
Old 09-26-14, 07:35 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

I hear you dude but having one kid does not equate to buying a minivan. He doesn't have to give up his enthusiasm for cars especially if this next car would be primarily driven by him (assuming his wife has her own car).
Old 09-26-14, 10:01 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
I hear you dude but having one kid does not equate to buying a minivan. He doesn't have to give up his enthusiasm for cars especially if this next car would be primarily driven by him (assuming his wife has her own car).
I have a minivan and even I agree

It's when you have 2 kids that are a little closer in age only then you'll something roomy....like a minivan.

Otherwise a sedan will still do fine

Worst comes to worst, you can rent a car in the meanwhile if you end up selling your GS before you get a replacement.
Old 09-26-14, 10:17 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

This is the only minivan I'll drive, when the time comes and if I'm really forced to! lol I'll still try to fit everything in the GS as much as I could. If it fits it ships! lol

The Swagger Wagon.

Old 09-27-14, 06:42 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

MamaDao, a CL member, put her Sienna on bags and installed a lip and wheels. She's rolling around with her kids in style and airs out when she parks. That could be you, SNiiP3R.
Old 09-27-14, 06:43 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

I think a minivan is an overkill in my case. If I had 2 kids, that would probably be my #1 choice. With just one kid an SUV should be more than enough.
Old 09-27-14, 06:44 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by obturator
MamaDao, a CL member, put her Sienna on bags and installed a lip and wheels. She's rolling around with her kids in style and airs out when she parks. That could be you, SNiiP3R.
haha the whole point is to drive stock, c-mon you guys! not making it any easier
Old 09-27-14, 06:48 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I've been in similar situation. Wife had 2RX since my son was little and has found RX the perfect vehicle for her. Minivan is nice for the family but a little too big. I was considering turning in my GS (Luxury, MSRP about 56K if I remember correctly) to get the new GX for a little more room. As one expects, stealer wanted my left arm. Their offer for the GS was in low 30s. I had similar mileage as you. So we decided to wait a bit on the GS and trade the 2RX in for a 3RX for her. This time they actually wanted to sell the RX so they worked with me on the trade in. I think I got a good price for my trade (better than kbb estimate). The new RX is MSRP at 49K and I got it for 45K with some extra stuff. We never liked the new RX when it came out in 2010 as we found the ride was too American sedan/van like (but the look is very attractive for her. She always wants the new one but can't live with that soft dizzy ride). I never knew why but later on read a post from Marshall (?) and he mentioned because the new tires have more rubber even still 18". That could be why the ride is softer. This latest RX comes with 19" option. The ride is more like our old RX which we love. I thought the engine noise, back up camera and windshield wipers could be/should be better. But other than that it is a nice car. I also find the ride quite comfortable. You will definitely lose some nice features from your GS but the car is not bad. But if it's for me, I would get the GX. Hope it helps and congrats on the news.
Old 09-27-14, 07:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats on your baby - my daughter is almost 18 months now.

Any reason u think the GS is not suitable? My 535 has been ok and has about the same room as the GS.

My wife usually sits in the back with the baby and so far no issues.
Stroller/bags in trunk. Front passenger seat also used for baby bag etc.

If i had 2 kids then maybe an SUV would be needed or 7series/LS type car.
Old 09-27-14, 12:35 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Well, I'm OK with the GS and its size it's the other half that wants to get an RX.
Old 09-27-14, 06:38 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Congratz DAD, enjoy him/her while they are young it's a blessing, kids change your whole life. anywho, if you guys don't plan on having anymore... the RX will probably do, trading the GS for one... i haven't a clue as to what is going to happen. it can go in your favor... or not. Good Luck

Quick Reply: From GS to pre-owned RX, suggestions?