GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

lowered a lease... dealership mad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 11:48 PM
BrooksLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowered a lease... dealership mad?

So, my car is leased. I intended to put money down right after to buy the car. I've done plenty of cosmetic/audio things. The only performance mod I've done is put it on RSR Super Down springs. I've kept stock springs.

The dealership contacts me saying they've been alerted of some modification to the car, which breaches the contract and now they want me to bring it in so they can assess and charge me what "it would cost to restore the vehicle" since I do not own it.

I was under the impression that as long as it is reversible, it is doable to a lease.

Super bummed.

Don't know where I'll go from here.
Old 09-24-14, 11:58 PM
EndlessRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope. you can't modify it as long as it's a lease. you don't own the car as long as it's a lease term. sorry but you brought this on yourself.
Old 09-25-14, 12:24 AM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

How did they find out?
If possible, are you able to put back the stock springs on before you bring it in?
Old 09-25-14, 12:43 AM
BrooksLC
Driver School Candidate

yeah, imma call around tomorrow and see what i can line up. not sure how they found out....
Old 09-25-14, 01:55 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrooksLC
yeah, imma call around tomorrow and see what i can line up. not sure how they found out....
If you've ever had the car serviced by a Lexus dealer that's how they found out.
Old 09-25-14, 04:45 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a scam; you can do anything you want to the lease as long as you restore it before the term ends. You don’t own the can, but neither does the dealership, car belongs to the leasing bank / Lexus Financial Services. LFS is a separate entity from a local, privately run Lexus dealership

Upon returning the lease, you are responsible to restore it to factory condition. I would tell the dealership to back off and not to worry about my lease as it will no longer be serviced by them.
Old 09-25-14, 04:54 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSyce
Sounds like a scam; you can do anything you want to the lease as long as you restore it before the term ends. You don’t own the can, but neither does the dealership, car belongs to the leasing bank / Lexus Financial Services. LFS is a separate entity from a local, privately run Lexus dealership

Upon returning the lease, you are responsible to restore it to factory condition. I would tell the dealership to back off and not to worry about my lease as it will no longer be serviced by them.
I agree. This sounds really bizarre to me. The first order of business is to read the contract though and see if you really are in violation of the terms.
Old 09-25-14, 06:27 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Plenty of people that lease and mod on this board. Never heard of any issues before.
Old 09-25-14, 06:42 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem until you turn in the car but you have to read the fine prints of the contract. Dealer could legally be entitled to penalizing you for mods.
Old 09-25-14, 07:51 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Are u still leasing or it's done? and u said ur gonna buy it? If ur buying it then don't worry about it.

I've modded all my leased cars and traded in like that without putting back the OEM parts and the dealer who bought it never said anything. Some dealers, however, won't take it if I don't put back the OEM parts. Returning it to the bank will be a different story though, u have to put it back to stock.
Old 09-25-14, 08:41 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

First time hearing this. I know many people here did more than just springs, they changed bumpers, exhaust, brakes on their leases with no problem.
Old 09-25-14, 08:48 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Which dealer is this? so I can avoid it.
Old 09-25-14, 08:52 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

That doesn't sound right. I have put wheels and subs in 3 leased cars and they never came at me with this BS. I know other people that lease and mod and they've never had any problems either.

I thought the most they can do is refuse warranty work if the part was altered due to aftermarket parts? Some new law perhaps?
Old 09-25-14, 09:07 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I have asked a Toyota Master Tech regarding the warranty work on a modified car. He said as long as the aftermarket part isn't causing the problem they will fix it under warranty.

Say u lowered ur car and ur engine blew up, they can't blame the lowering springs for it. But if u turbocharged it and ur engine blew up, then ur outta luck.
Old 09-25-14, 09:45 AM
BrooksLC
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure how it's transpired, haven't had it serviced there since lowering.
Just taking springs off tomorrow to avoid any drama and hopeful to sell them. They were so great, I'm truly bummed. They made the car look and feel so good.
It'll be hard having a car I can't touch. Still a beauty.

Quick Reply: lowered a lease... dealership mad?