GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Switch trim from alu to matte walnut?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 04:52 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Its a point of argument whether the F Sport package really gets you anything other than that over a Luxury with AVS, especially if the F Sport is AWD. AWD F Sports loose the upgraded brakes, etc. If you don't have DRS the steering is the same.
I agree, but the calibration of the suspension is different, and there are other things that would push the cost up if you don't like the luxury the way it comes. I actually like the luxury which we have. But for me I'd have to upgrade the wheel/tire package and change out the wood steering wheel for an all leather wheel - both of which are pretty pricy upgrades.
Old 09-12-14, 06:01 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I agree, but the calibration of the suspension is different, and there are other things that would push the cost up if you don't like the luxury the way it comes. I actually like the luxury which we have. But for me I'd have to upgrade the wheel/tire package and change out the wood steering wheel for an all leather wheel - both of which are pretty pricy upgrades.
You should consider selling the steering wheel to recoup some of the upgrades.
Old 09-12-14, 06:30 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by DaSyce
You should consider selling the steering wheel to recoup some of the upgrades.
Do you think it would be easy to sell? The problem is that the wood in the Luxury package does not match the wood on the base car, so I don't know why anyone would want the wheel out of a Luxury.
Old 09-12-14, 08:25 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some in the VIP scene may want a wood wheel to match their wood floors. You never know.
Old 09-12-14, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
Well, I have a RWD for the brakes. And when the suspension is down for Sport+, the steering feel is definitely sharper without any other adjustments.
RWD then you have the brake upgrades, the Luxury has AVS with Sport S+ which makes the same adjustments for the steering.

Originally Posted by jjscsiz
We've never really gotten a straight answer whether the suspension is really different between the F Sport and the Luxury. The parts are all the same.

As for the wheel/tire package and the wheel you'd be surprised, but I would bet its cheaper than replacing the trim with the wood trim.
Old 09-12-14, 09:22 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

FSport suspension supposedly tuned for performance. But how many of us really push our cars to the limit to even know the difference. I'll be the first to admit that I like the FSport for cosmetics but what really sold me was the FSport seat. The only thing I wish the FSport had was the adaptive front head lights. I can live without heated rear seats and side sun shades.
Old 09-12-14, 12:04 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by SW13GS
RWD then you have the brake upgrades, the Luxury has AVS with Sport S+ which makes the same adjustments for the steering.

We've never really gotten a straight answer whether the suspension is really different between the F Sport and the Luxury. The parts are all the same.

As for the wheel/tire package and the wheel you'd be surprised, but I would bet its cheaper than replacing the trim with the wood trim.
I'm sure you are right, which is why I will just live with the Aluminum if I get an F Sport.
Old 09-12-14, 12:13 PM
georgee01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AVS is tuned differently for the F-Sport package, it selects a more aggressive setup for the adaptive suspension, adjusts the steering system, and changes stability-control thresholds. That being said, the Sport+ mode on the Luxury AVS is not too shabby. It makes a dramatic difference in the vehicle dynamics on my Luxury GS450h.

As a driver of German brands since the early '80s, I developed a bias for "real engineering" vs the "synthetic" feel of the integrated vehicle dynamics management systems on Japanese brands. Then two things happened, the Germans began relying more and more on electronic management, and I actually drove the Lexus.
Old 09-12-14, 09:30 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd be more than happy to get the wood steering if somebody wants to get rid of his.
Old 09-13-14, 01:09 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In my personal opinion, the moment I see wood in my car I want it out. I find it makes a car look old fashioned.

The aluminum was one of the reasons I got the F-sport (Also 4 wheel steering, drivers seat adjustment, better overall looks and the cabernet interior).
Old 09-13-14, 04:59 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by UtoyZ
i'd be more than happy to get the wood steering if somebody wants to get rid of his.
I'd consider it if we lived close….and it wasn't my wife's car. What interior do you have though?
Old 09-14-14, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
what really sold me was the FSport seat
Luxury has the same seats with more adjustments and better leather...

Just being sure people deciding between the two have accurate info.
Old 09-14-14, 05:16 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hube
In my personal opinion, the moment I see wood in my car I want it out. I find it makes a car look old fashioned.

The aluminum was one of the reasons I got the F-sport (Also 4 wheel steering, drivers seat adjustment, better overall looks and the cabernet interior).
See, so I just need to find someone that feels that way but got the luxury. Everyone has different tastes and I am cool with that. Hell, if I could find a nice digital clock to replace the analog one in the dash, I would do that too...
Old 09-14-14, 10:36 PM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly! It would be nice to fit the moto360 at the clocks location
Old 09-18-14, 01:27 PM
tknx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hube
Exactly! It would be nice to fit the moto360 at the clocks location
Actually that is a brilliant idea. Hmm... may have to go measure the spot where the Lexus clock is. The Moto 360 is 46mm.

Quick Reply: Switch trim from alu to matte walnut?