GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F Sport Steering Issue 4GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 05:54 AM
shiveng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Sport Steering Issue 4GS

I purchased a 2013 GS F Sport RWD w/ VGRS back in june. Great deal on the car... it was a CPO previous owner owned it for three months and traded it in for a ES hybrid. Anyways im very happy with the car and have already put 5000 miles on it, bringing it upto 12000.

But im having a problem with the steering at highway speeds that occurs after the car has been driven for 15+ minutes. It seems i begin to feel a resistance when I go slightly off center, i.e changing lanes, and it feels there is a slight "notch" in the steering feel when Im turning left, just a couple degrees. I know there are certain characteristics with this F Sport, compared to the standard GS, but this feels abnormal. Ive taken it back to the dealership three times and after I took the service manager for a 20 mile test drive he finally believed me and could also reproduced the problem himself. So this last time they kept the car for one week and ended up redoing the alignment and increasing the tire pressure. Its funny my service rep said it should "feel better now," which doesnt mean the problem went away.

The car drives straight if I line it up but if i go off center the car will hold its line in a turning position and not re-center. Not sure if its supposed to do this but thats what I feel. The resistive "notch" i feel is offcenter to the left, and its almost like a magnetic resistance with two same poles. The problem occurs in Normal and sport modes, and is actually improved and also less noticeable in Sport +. I have the bridgestone potenza factory tires.

I searched the forums here for a solution and it seems the newer IS F Sports are also having a similar problem.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-question.html

The dealership told me to bring it back if its still happening, then they will contact District Manager, and eventually a Toyota Engineer.

Anyone have any thoughts, similar problems?

Old 09-08-14, 07:49 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My thoughts are, if it's still happening, to take it back to them. Sounds like your dealer is doing a mediocre job at fixing your car. They should have already been in contact with Toyota engineers since they even know they can't find the problem.
Old 09-29-14, 03:39 PM
shiveng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAR IS FIXED! Dealer finally called me back, setup a time to bring the car in. They had the district FTS service engineer come to the dealer and drive the car. They decided to change the "Steering rack and pinion" bc it had "Faulty Magnets."

So i definitely was not making this up. finally they believed me. And the car drives like a dream.... Jim Hudson Lexus in Augusta. Good job.
Old 09-29-14, 03:51 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Damn that's a nice looking car.
Old 09-29-14, 04:10 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by shiveng
CAR IS FIXED! Dealer finally called me back, setup a time to bring the car in. They had the district FTS service engineer come to the dealer and drive the car. They decided to change the "Steering rack and pinion" bc it had "Faulty Magnets."

So i definitely was not making this up. finally they believed me. And the car drives like a dream.... Jim Hudson Lexus in Augusta. Good job.
wtf? how does this happen to a NEW car? I feel like it was caused by the potenzas as those are known to tramline or perhaps the rims? Thats very dissapointing that a brand new LEXUS has had to have ANYTHING replaced that major. WHAT A POS, new cars SUCK. Nothing but headaches, more features = more **** to replace
Old 09-29-14, 04:14 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I bet if we were somehow able to find out how much it costed lexus to build a 4GS like just in parts (NOT LABOR as that would obvioulsy be more) compared to the 2GS, the 2GS would probably have costed more, especially compared to the value of the dollar in 2000 versus now.

Last edited by DMPesso; 09-29-14 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 04:17 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

scares me to think of someone actually taking the long haul with a 4GS owning it past 150k like lexus is supposed to be!
Old 09-29-14, 05:47 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMPesso
wtf? how does this happen to a NEW car? I feel like it was caused by the potenzas as those are known to tramline or perhaps the rims? Thats very dissapointing that a brand new LEXUS has had to have ANYTHING replaced that major. WHAT A POS, new cars SUCK. Nothing but headaches, more features = more **** to replace
I bet if we were somehow able to find out how much it costed lexus to build a 4GS like just in parts (NOT LABOR as that would obvioulsy be more) compared to the 2GS, the 2GS would probably have costed more, especially compared to the value of the dollar in 2000 versus now.
scares me to think of someone actually taking the long haul with a 4GS owning it past 150k like lexus is supposed to be!
Whoa dude. You seem to be very upset about this, safe bet that you've had some trouble with a new car but your 2GS is/was a dream?

Anyway, to the OP, glad you got the problem solved! Good to know in case anyone else happens to experience this.
Old 09-29-14, 07:41 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Lol I was bored at work sorry for the long reply but seriously thats pathetic for a GS to have such an issue. I've had problems wit my gs but not a brand new one. Just gets me mad cuz I was thinking of getting one eventually but seeing this makes me think leasing is the only way now and days and nothing is built to last anymore. Such a well built car shouldnt have an issue like that this new
Old 09-29-14, 08:22 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol I was bored at work sorry for the long reply but seriously thats pathetic for a GS to have such an issue. I've had problems wit my gs but not a brand new one. Just gets me mad cuz I was thinking of getting one eventually but seeing this makes me think leasing is the only way now and days and nothing is built to last anymore. Such a well built car shouldnt have an issue like that this new
You think this is unacceptable for a Lexus? Well its not the case. IT can happen with any brand no one is perfect. I had a problematic 2012 BMW 535xi with vibration on the highway. I had to lemon it and I got the 2013 GS. While the GS is not perfect its far better then the BMW 5 in the driving dynamics. So you have to be happy with what you have that all that matters.
Old 09-30-14, 03:04 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Read any forum and you won't want to buy any car.
Old 09-30-14, 11:20 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Well it's nothing new that bmws and mercedes are only meant to lease because they suck for reliability but that's a new trend Lexus is heading in. I guess there go the days of owning cars!
Old 09-30-14, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah you gotta relax DMPesso lol. He had an issue and Lexus corrected it for him, what more would you expect or want them to do? Obviously its not a real widespread issue or we would have heard about it here.

Even the most reliable machines still have faulty parts sometimes. If Lexus is retreating when it comes to reliability...none of the metrics that track reliability are showing that.

If you go back to the 2GS forum when they were new and you'll find issues too. My Dad's 98 LS came from the factory with an unbalanced driveshaft that caused vibrations when driving off and on when it was new. Dealer replaced it and it was great until he traded it after 170k miles...and thats the most reliable Lexus...if not the most reliable car ever made.

Originally Posted by shiveng
it was a CPO previous owner owned it for three months and traded it in for a ES hybrid.
Poor bastard LOL
Old 09-30-14, 05:44 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I bet that previous owner regret trading in the GS for an ES.
Old 09-30-14, 09:53 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I bet that previous owner regret trading in the GS for an ES.
Lol, the only reason I could think of, trading a GS for an ES, is if you lost your job.

Quick Reply: F Sport Steering Issue 4GS