GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Fact or Myth

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 11:36 AM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Transmission Fact or Myth

I recently heard something from a friend of mine about shifting from automatic to manual shifter. He said that doing this over time can mess up the transmission. I normally switch from automatic to manual mode to avoid braking or to slow down going down steep hills. Is this a transission fact or myth?

Last edited by dwayne4lex; 09-06-14 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-06-14, 12:01 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Downshifting in general is harder on a tranny than rolling in neutral (or neutral mode) but it should be fine.

The manual shifting in the lexus as it's not a real dual clutch tranny and it's an actual auto is just manually setting the shift (and downshift) points electronically on the auto.
Old 09-06-14, 12:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It certainly causes more wear and tear, how much more is debatable, but I look at it like this...

If you need to use engine braking for a safety concern, meaning that you have a loaded vehicle and you're traveling down a hill for an extended period of time and you're afraid of overheating your brakes, then do it. Otherwise, don't. Pads and rotors are a whole lot cheaper to replace than a tranny.
Old 09-06-14, 01:27 PM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Thanks guys! I just want to be sure I don't do something now that will cost thousands later. I plan on keeping this car for a long time.
Old 09-06-14, 02:38 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Hmm I hope it isn't true. I drive in manual a good 80% of the time.
Old 09-06-14, 03:45 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I read this on a manual transmission forum.

Most of the time when you drive, you're putting a load (and causing wear) on what I'm going to call the "forward" face of each tooth on each gear in your drivetrain. The front of a tooth on the crankshaft pushes against the back of a tooth on the next gear in line, which pushes the next gear, etc. When you use "engine braking", all you are doing is engaging the teeth in the opposite direction, and putting force and wear on the faces that normally are just along for the ride.

Now, does that mean you're wearing your engine out faster? Marginally... but the parts you're wearing out would normally have to be replaced (if at all) because they'd worn out from the other side; you're wearing surfaces that would usually be thrown out with hardly any wear at all. To borrow a phrase from the medical field, your engine/transmission will die with that wear, not of it.
I downshift all the time and none of my cars have problems with it. As long as u keep the engine RPM below redline, it should be fine.

Our cars can't go past redline cause the computer won't allow it. Try downshifting when going 70 MPH to 2nd gear, it won't let u, it'll just beep. The car will downshift as far as it is appropriate for the speed and engine RPM.
Old 09-06-14, 08:25 PM
darinmg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brakes are cheaper than clutch/trans work...much cheaper. 385,000 miles on my stock clutch and still going.
Old 09-07-14, 08:39 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

For those that think there's no harm in it, can you explain why slowing down using your brakes wears out your pads/rotors over time, but why you think using engine braking by downshifting the tranny is essentially "free"?

This is also an automatic transmission which uses clutch packs (at least auto trannies I've broken down in the past do) and they don't wear out on the "opposite" side when engine breaking. This is true regardless of redlining or not. That's like saying you don' wear out your brakes unless you do panic stops all the time or you don't wear out your tires unless you peal out.
Old 09-09-14, 06:18 AM
GS250
Driver

are we talking about using the paddle shifter to downshift or we are talking about switching between auto mode and manual mode by using the auto gear shifter to switch between D to M, M to D? if it is the later, i usually don't do that when the car is moving but only when it is at complete stop. i will never put the gear in neutral for the car to roll. i did that to my dad Merc donkey years ago and i remember it damage the transmission over time.
Old 09-09-14, 07:57 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GS250
are we talking about using the paddle shifter to downshift or we are talking about switching between auto mode and manual mode by using the auto gear shifter to switch between D to M, M to D? if it is the later, i usually don't do that when the car is moving but only when it is at complete stop. i will never put the gear in neutral for the car to roll. i did that to my dad Merc donkey years ago and i remember it damage the transmission over time.
I put my old 99' 4runner into neutral all the time and it still ran strong after 250,000 miles. That's even after it filled with antifreeze after the radiator cracked and let the tranny fluid and antifreeze mix (at around 185,000 miles). Toyota trannies are tough.
Old 09-09-14, 09:06 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok how long do you plan to have this car? Drive it like you stole it, its a Toyota!
Old 09-09-14, 09:10 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GS250
Going from D to M or vice versa as far as I can see does not change anything mechanically. It just changes the computer to shift when the driver specifies. I never shift into neutral while on the move at all though....
Old 09-09-14, 09:18 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Just don't floor it then shift from N to D.
Old 09-09-14, 10:19 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Just don't floor it then shift from N to D.
Neutral drop!!!!

Oh that reminds me of a buddy from highschool.... i cant believe that fwd chevy took such a pounding and kept driving...
Old 09-09-14, 11:17 AM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Ok how long do you plan to have this car? Drive it like you stole it, its a Toyota!
A long time for me is 5 years or more. I normally trade out of my cars in 2 to 3 yrs.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fact or Myth