GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

All Season Tires choices with Rim protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 05:30 AM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All Season Tires choices with Rim protection

My GS came with Bridgestone Turanza's. Last winter they were terrible in the Midwest. One thing I like about them is that they have the ridge near the bead to protect the rims. I looked at Tire Rack. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season has great ratings. Anybody have them? Do they have a rim protection edge? What about the Michelin Primacy MXM4? Does it have rim protection?
Old 09-04-14, 06:24 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the mxm4 and I don't think it has rim protection but the ride is excellent so that's why I careless. No issues with rims getting scratched since I'm careful
Old 09-04-14, 07:40 AM
FLBuckeye1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had General G-Max AS-03 on my prior car and was very happy with them. It was a rear wheel drive Infiniti G37 and they handled snow very admirably. Continental ExtremeContact DWS are also highly rated. Both should offer decent wheel protection though I am not sure if either come in your required sizes.
Old 09-04-14, 08:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I have the Primacy MXM4 and they do have a rim protection edge.

Mine are down to 3-4/32nds and I am considering replacing them before winter. The MXM4s have been great, and I consider 30k down to this tread depth great treadwear on a low profile tire with our roads here and how I drive.

The Pirelli P7 Cintaurato Plus tires are very appealing to me too. I could just get another set of MXM4s but these are a little cheaper, and the ratings look like they may wind up being better tires. I don't think they have a rim protection edge from the pictures I've seen.
Old 09-04-14, 09:41 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I have the Primacy MXM4 and they do have a rim protection edge.

Mine are down to 3-4/32nds and I am considering replacing them before winter. The MXM4s have been great, and I consider 30k down to this tread depth great treadwear on a low profile tire with our roads here and how I drive.

The Pirelli P7 Cintaurato Plus tires are very appealing to me too. I could just get another set of MXM4s but these are a little cheaper, and the ratings look like they may wind up being better tires. I don't think they have a rim protection edge from the pictures I've seen.
Avoid the pirelli p7. Had them on our a8 and they just wouldn't be round and could not get them balance properly. Too much road noise too. Switched them to pilot sport a/s 3 which is glass smooth and quiet. Michelins always win over pirelli.
Old 09-04-14, 09:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Avoid the pirelli p7. Had them on our a8 and they just wouldn't be round and could not get them balance properly. Too much road noise too. Switched them to pilot sport a/s 3 which is glass smooth and quiet. Michelins always win over pirelli.
Theres a difference between the P7 and the all new P7 All Season Plus. These tires just came out and are a replacement for the previous P7. The reviews are excellent everywhere I've looked...
Old 09-04-14, 09:54 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Got the newer version plus with the longer tread life. Unfortunately Pirellis have poor quality control. Tire Rack had quite a few complaints lately.
Old 09-04-14, 11:37 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

In the LS430 forum, we had a little discussion regarding the Primacy, Premier and the Pirelli.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...commend-2.html

Note that the Primacy is currently being phased out in most sizes and the replacement will be the Premier.

As for rim lip protector, some sizes have the protector and some do not in the Michelin and Pirelli lines. If you let me know what size you need, I can look for you.

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
Overall, I liked the Pirelli when I did testing on it a few months ago against the Premier, but I fear it will be come loud as it wears. This is somewhat a trait to most Pirelli tires and I hope they have cured it with the P7 All Season Plus. I am still a little hesitant to recommend it because of that reason alone. The Michelin Primacy has a very strong history of being a great tire throughout its life. The technology in the Premier is amazing to tire geeks like myself and really can't be compared to any other tire on the market in my opinion. It's sort of in a league of its own right now.

Links:
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus being discussed

Michelin Premier being discussed

-AJ
Here is a link to the Michelin Primacy MXM4

I like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 that has been mentioned, but it is horrible in snow. If you live in the Midwest and see anything more than a dusting of snow at a time, I would not recommend that tire for you. It is a fantastic 3-season tire.

-AJ
Old 09-04-14, 02:27 PM
MuskyHuntr
Driver School Candidate

You will lose a lot of corning capability with the Primacy's. I had them on an Acura and they are nice on the highway but lacked sidewall stiffness to be any fun in town. Felt like my Acura turned into a Buick on them. I changed over to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS....worst tires I have every had on any car bar none. I think they get great reviews because of the price. If you can forgive blowouts from weak sidewalls, poor performance from weak sidewalls, really bad flat spotting, then yeah they are a great value but not worth it to me.
Old 09-04-14, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Got the newer version plus with the longer tread life. Unfortunately Pirellis have poor quality control. Tire Rack had quite a few complaints lately.
Where do you see complaints in the reviews on Tire Rack for the plus tire? I haven't seen them...

Definitely good first hand experience though...
Old 09-04-14, 04:33 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Click the link and then click the 'reviews' tab. There are currently 910,000 miles of survey reported on this tire.

Click here
Old 09-04-14, 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The reviews seem pretty doggone good...usually I've noted that tires that start out with great reviews tend to diminish as the miles reported rack up, but approaching 1M miles and they still have great reviews...
Old 09-04-14, 07:01 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
In the LS430 forum, we had a little discussion regarding the Primacy, Premier and the Pirelli.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...commend-2.html

Note that the Primacy is currently being phased out in most sizes and the replacement will be the Premier.

As for rim lip protector, some sizes have the protector and some do not in the Michelin and Pirelli lines. If you let me know what size you need, I can look for you.

Here is a link to the Michelin Primacy MXM4

I like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 that has been mentioned, but it is horrible in snow. If you live in the Midwest and see anything more than a dusting of snow at a time, I would not recommend that tire for you. It is a fantastic 3-season tire.

-AJ
I have a separate set of winter tires for the A8 during winter times so I don't know how the A/S 3 are in the snow.
Old 09-04-14, 07:03 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The reviews seem pretty doggone good...usually I've noted that tires that start out with great reviews tend to diminish as the miles reported rack up, but approaching 1M miles and they still have great reviews...
Yeah that what happens over time. I have learned to take each review as a grain of salt and not trust them completely. You have to know what you want out of the tire and the cost. I love the MXM4 and its the best tire for this car with good tread wear warranty so I will replace them with a new set of MXM4 next year around 30-35 k miles on the tires. I
Old 09-04-14, 08:57 PM
gotink
Rookie

I know your asking about winters but,my Pirelli pzero suck out of round.wont balance put 200 km on them and went to Michelin ........Glad I Won them,but couldn't pay me to keep them on my car...

Quick Reply: All Season Tires choices with Rim protection