GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS 350 Technology Navigation Modification

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 11:03 AM
Computer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 GS 350 Technology Navigation Modification

I would like 4 functions/capabilities added to my 2013 GS 350. Is a software upgrade (official or unofficial) or a hardware solution available for:

iPhone text message replies
Text messages received on my iPhone will be displayed on the GS screen. However, the "canned" text message responses that come preprogrammed on the GS do not work with the iPhone (I believe it works with Samsung and perhaps Android devices).

Contacts imported from iPhone
The GS system will allow 1000 contacts to be imported from 3 (4?) different mobile devices. I have several thousand contacts stored on my iPhone. I either want to import ALL my contacts (which would fill most if not all of the slots available on the GS)...or...(preferably) select just a few contacts (250 or so) which would be imported into the GS. Ideally, this would be done by "tagging", "grouping", or "identifying" the appropriate contacts on the iPhone with a special identifier or group within the iPhone that would be recognized by the GS and thus import only those contacts in that "group". I do not want to delete all the contacts on my phone (backup first of course!), import only the contacts that I want sync'd to the GS, import into the GS, then re-import all the backed'up contacts back onto my iPhone.

Backup Camera
Rumor has it that the Japanese version of the backup camera software follows the car as it turns vs the fixed position on the US version. I would like the Japanese version.

Update destination while driving
Update my destination(s) while driving.

Please point me to the appropriate threads if these questions have already been answered.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Last edited by Computer; 09-02-14 at 11:04 AM. Reason: adding requests for existing answers
Old 09-02-14, 11:19 AM
Kayman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iphone is your problem and unless Apple updates the software you won't be getting canned replies. I run a Blackberry Z30 and have no issues. Oh and no one is hacking my cloud!

Again I have a personal and a work space on my Blackberry which allows me to import only those contacts I wish out of many I have.

Not sure about backup camera.

I know you can update destination.... just have to find discussion thread.
Old 09-02-14, 12:06 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Apple's compatibility problems are not Lexus' fault. They limit Bluetooth functionality on the device. The whole "IOS in the car" thing is on track for 2015 models if I'm not mistaken.
Old 09-03-14, 06:17 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use an Android device - so the canned messages are available to me, but I often find myself just using google now to dictate the response using the phone. The canned message require me to turn my eyes away from the road, and so I prefer the voice dictation. (just press the power button, and "ok google" works from the lock screen too)

Why not use Siri in a similar way on your iPhone?

In the same way, why import contacts from your phone to your car? Keep the contacts on your phone, and when you want to call somebody, just tell Siri to call (and the car's bluetooth will take over for making the call). Personally, I find my phone's personalized voice recognition to be better than the car's voice recognition.

(BTW, backing up contacts, deleting them, importing only ones you want to sync, syncing, and then re-importing all contacts to iphone *may* not work - because the next time you connect your phone to the car's system, won't it sync everything again? I don't know)

@Kayman LOL! That may be because of lack of interest Now, if some celebrities were actually using a blackberry, things may change
(I'M KIDDING! Don't hit me!)

Last edited by jj14; 09-03-14 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-03-14, 07:16 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Computer
I would like 4 functions/capabilities added to my 2013 GS 350. Is a software upgrade (official or unofficial) or a hardware solution available for:

iPhone text message replies
Text messages received on my iPhone will be displayed on the GS screen. However, the "canned" text message responses that come preprogrammed on the GS do not work with the iPhone (I believe it works with Samsung and perhaps Android devices).

Contacts imported from iPhone
The GS system will allow 1000 contacts to be imported from 3 (4?) different mobile devices. I have several thousand contacts stored on my iPhone. I either want to import ALL my contacts (which would fill most if not all of the slots available on the GS)...or...(preferably) select just a few contacts (250 or so) which would be imported into the GS. Ideally, this would be done by "tagging", "grouping", or "identifying" the appropriate contacts on the iPhone with a special identifier or group within the iPhone that would be recognized by the GS and thus import only those contacts in that "group". I do not want to delete all the contacts on my phone (backup first of course!), import only the contacts that I want sync'd to the GS, import into the GS, then re-import all the backed'up contacts back onto my iPhone.

Backup Camera
Rumor has it that the Japanese version of the backup camera software follows the car as it turns vs the fixed position on the US version. I would like the Japanese version.

Update destination while driving
Update my destination(s) while driving.

Please point me to the appropriate threads if these questions have already been answered.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.
1) No, Apple has to change this, it is a software limitation/restriction of iOS

2) Make a group of the contacts you want to transfer to the car, then go into bluetooth settings on your iPhone for "CAR MULTIMEDIA" or whatever your cars bluetooth is called, uncheck sync all contacts and just check the box of the new group you just made, and now it will only send that group to the car.

3) I would think that this is a software limitation they imposed on us, not the actual camera itself but to be honest thats speculation as I really have no idea.

4) You can use destination assist, or delete the destination with the menu and use voice command to enter a new destination. Voice command for destination input works about 75% of the time for me.

Hope that helps

-Joe