GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why I will probably trade for another GS F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 02:10 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
The beauty of it is that the instrument cluster plastic can be polished!
U know what, I just did that and now it looks clean!

I'm like.. screw it, I'm polishing this thing. If I screw up then I'll buy a new lense. That scratch really bothers me.

I guess it filled in the scratches nicely. I can't see that one deep scratch anymore and can only see very fine scratches when shining a bright flashlight at a very weird angle but that don't bother me.

Amazon.com: Mothers 06208 Plastic Polish - 8 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: Mothers 06208 Plastic Polish - 8 oz: Automotive

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 09-02-14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 07:43 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

First, I have no scratches on my instrument panel or piano black trim because I carry a refill from a Swifter in the car and when they get dusty I use that. However, if you do have scratches there is a great plastic polish that you can buy at any auto store that will remove the scratches. I tried it on a used SC300 I bought years ago and it worked beautifully. You don't have to live with the scratches!

Re: the more durable aluminum trim, my driver's side trim has at least 4 dents in it and I've been told they must replace the whole side door panel to correct it because it is one piece. The cost is $400+, so I have lived with it. I had my cupholder and the trim above the glovebox replaced for free because both had dents early on and Lexus had never seen that before so they assumed it was a defect. I baby my cars, so I'm not really sure why that happened.

Lastly, I'm purchasing the car (should have leased based on my timing) and it should be paid off by the time I'm ready to trade. Why trade? Because variety is the spice of life. My current GS is mint and still turns my head, but I want something different, even if its the same car with a few upgrades in a different color.
Old 09-02-14, 07:47 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexRuger
What about the Infiniti Q50s, Cadillac CTS V-Sport? The Caddy has 420 HP out of the 6 cylinder
Although I'll admit I haven't tested either, I've read nothing but negatives about the Infiniti artificial steering and the Cadillac CUE system. I love the looks of the new CTS but don't want to put up with having no buttons to control anything. Also, the Caddy pricing is high and it will probably drop like a stone when I go to trade it in. Very few people seem to be buying them. There is an article in Car Chat about how they are going to close one of their manufacturing plants because there are already too many sitting on the lot. Scares me.
Old 09-02-14, 07:51 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
U know what, I just did that and now it looks clean!

I'm like.. screw it, I'm polishing this thing. If I screw up then I'll buy a new lense. That scratch really bothers me.

I guess it filled in the scratches nicely. I can't see that one deep scratch anymore and can only see very fine scratches when shining a bright flashlight at a very weird angle but that don't bother me.

Amazon.com: Mothers 06208 Plastic Polish - 8 oz: Automotive
Okay, now use that little piece of Swifter to dust it off from now on.
Old 09-02-14, 07:55 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I didn't baby my car enough.
Old 09-02-14, 11:39 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
Although I'll admit I haven't tested either, I've read nothing but negatives about the Infiniti artificial steering and the Cadillac CUE system. I love the looks of the new CTS but don't want to put up with having no buttons to control anything. Also, the Caddy pricing is high and it will probably drop like a stone when I go to trade it in. Very few people seem to be buying them. There is an article in Car Chat about how they are going to close one of their manufacturing plants because there are already too many sitting on the lot. Scares me.
The Infiniti steering isn't as bad as the writers say. 90% of the time you probably won't even notice any difference between it and any other car.

On the other hand, CUE really is as bad as the journalist say. And the Caddie's interiors look cheap. But the magnetic ride suspension is one of the best out there. Simply amazing.

Check out options that I think most people often over look:
- Volvo S60 -The T6 is a lot faster than people think.
- Jaguar XF - Looks cool. Wide selection of engine options.
Old 09-03-14, 08:48 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What about a Hyundai Genesis? It doesn't have the prestige but they do look to be like really nice cars. Either way, whatever you or anyone is to choose... I absolutely love my '14 GS F Sport!! And I love hearing about others who love their GS' as well they are beautiful cars and it doesn't hurt they're super reliable!
Old 09-03-14, 01:14 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

They're ditching the drive by wire in the Q50 and going back to hydraulic steering from now on. Infiniti introduced something that was half-baked and people weren't receptive to it. It may be the future, but it needs time to mature.

And yes, CUE still stinks, and the interiors are cheap. My buddy has a monstrous CTS-V coupe and while the sticker lists "carbon fiber type trim", it's printed hard plastic. Even those Autozone carbon fiber stickers would look better than the crap GM put in his car.
Old 09-03-14, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sick21
What about a Hyundai Genesis? It doesn't have the prestige but they do look to be like really nice cars. Either way, whatever you or anyone is to choose... I absolutely love my '14 GS F Sport!! And I love hearing about others who love their GS' as well they are beautiful cars and it doesn't hurt they're super reliable!
From a practical standpoint, I would buy something smaller if I could because the GS just has a few inches of room in the garage. The Genesis is actually longer.

As a car snob, as nice as it is I would consider it a step down from the GS and it leans more toward luxury than sport. The GS is the perfect mix of both.
Old 09-03-14, 08:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksun
The Infiniti steering isn't as bad as the writers say. 90% of the time you probably won't even notice any difference between it and any other car.

On the other hand, CUE really is as bad as the journalist say. And the Caddie's interiors look cheap. But the magnetic ride suspension is one of the best out there. Simply amazing.

Check out options that I think most people often over look:
- Volvo S60 -The T6 is a lot faster than people think.
- Jaguar XF - Looks cool. Wide selection of engine options.
The S60 is actually very nice, but I don't like the stark Swedish Volvo interiors. I love the XF, but it will be completely redesigned for 2016, so if I traded early next year I'd have probably less than a year before my car went out of style.
Old 09-03-14, 08:14 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I know it's not in the same price range, but there's an argument to be made for the Tesla Model S too. If you can afford to fall for it, take a test drive. It's pretty intoxicating.
Old 09-03-14, 08:20 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S60 is actually very nice, but I don't like the stark Swedish Volvo interiors.
I totally agree. I'm a big fan of the S60, especially the R-Design, but prefer the amenities and interior of the GS.
Old 09-03-14, 10:07 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Why don't you get the 2015 GS450h F-Sport?

Instant torque from zero revs, higher top end power and top speed and overtaking/passing ability that rivals 400hp+ cars due to the instant electric engine response.

AND with the 2015 models, you can get DRS with the new F-Sport trim ( new for the 2014 GS450h).

The top end acceleration of the GS450h is impressive :

This last video really shows off the passing/overtaking ability of the 450h engine even at high speeds on the German Autobahn :

Last edited by natnut; 09-03-14 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-04-14, 09:10 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flippd
Why trade your car in for the same thing? Why not just keep it?
Agreed, seems like a huge waste of money, not to mention time spent at the dealership for incremental updates. Makes sense if it's a lease, but I'm assuming it isn't since he travels a lot and that's a lot of miles to put on a lease.
Old 09-04-14, 06:33 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
Why don't you get the 2015 GS450h F-Sport?

Instant torque from zero revs, higher top end power and top speed and overtaking/passing ability that rivals 400hp+ cars due to the instant electric engine response.

AND with the 2015 models, you can get DRS with the new F-Sport trim ( new for the 2014 GS450h).
Great suggestion. I'll look into this.

Quick Reply: Why I will probably trade for another GS F Sport