GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why I will probably trade for another GS F Sport

Old 09-01-14, 07:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Why I will probably trade for another GS F Sport

My '13 GS is almost 29 months old. I usually trade my cars every year, which really speaks to how engaging this car is. Even so, I'm looking at trading in early 2015. Ideally, I'd like something smaller but that really limits the list. Here's my list of prospects and the reason I'm not sold on them:

2015 MB C-Class: I've now seen them at dealerships, and although the interior is great the exterior just doesn't do anything for me. IMO, it doesn't work that well as a "shrunken S Class" and it just doesn't have much presence. I've only seen C300s. Maybe the C400s with AMG kits might look better, but it is doubtful.

2015 IS350 F Sport: I drove a standard IS250 as a loaner. The ride was choppy (even in non-F Sport form) and there was lots more road noise than in my GS. I loved the handling so I would imagine the 350 is a beast, but the car leans much more toward sportiness than luxury.

Audi A7: I still love the exterior of this car. However, I sat in an S-Line version today and the seats are flat and short with very little bolstering. I've also read the Bose system sucks and one must upgrade to Bang & Olefson for an additional $6000k+ to even get decent sound and even that isn't as good as the ML in m GS.

Audi A6: Same issues and not even as attractive as the A7, but both have great engines.

2015 RC350 F Sport: I am seriously considering this car, but if it leans more toward the IS than GS in comfort (meaning road noise, choppiness) it will be out of the game.

I like the BMW models, especially 435i and Gran Coupe, but I just hear too many stories about maintenance. I haven't had one issue with my GS during my ownership period.

So, as much as I'd like to trade for something totally different, I have to admit that the GS F Sport is one of the best cars on the market today, and for me, probably the most perfect. I know the 2015 model will come in Atomic Silver with power mirrors and power trunk, so there are two wishes. My only additional wishes would be new wheel styles and more durable aluminum trim in the interior.

Last edited by dseag2; 09-01-14 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 07:41 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you could go either 2 or 4 doors? For me I need 4 doors and 5 seats
Old 09-01-14, 07:43 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can go 2 doors because I never carry rear-seat passengers but I need decent trunk space because I travel a lot. My previous Audi S5 Cab was okay but I outgrew it.

Because I'm out of town so much I have no friends to go in the back seat.
Old 09-01-14, 08:37 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't count the BMW 435 off your list, especially if you only keep a car 1-3 years. You're probably never going to have a "maintanance" issue. Especially if you've owned an Audi before... But I'm glad to hear you wouldn't mind having another GS after you've had this one longer than your usual previous ones.

Edit: I wouldn't wish for more durable trim, I'm more concerned with the durability of the piano black trim or whatever it is like around the window switches. I've got a thousand miles on my F Sport and that black junk is already showing scratches everywhere.
Old 09-01-14, 08:56 PM
Kayman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMWs are everywhere and they all look the same. I had an M5 and am so happy to be rid of it. Looked great sitting still... not so much when at the dealership all the time. When it drove well it was a great driving car but I want a driver's car and that's a Lexus. Can't wait to sit in and test drive an RC before dropping down my cash on either a GS or RC. Dimensions are close on both cars so interior shoulder and hip room will be a big factor for my choice.
Old 09-01-14, 09:00 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
I wouldn't count the BMW 435 off your list, especially if you only keep a car 1-3 years. You're probably never going to have a "maintanance" issue. Especially if you've owned an Audi before... But I'm glad to hear you wouldn't mind having another GS after you've had this one longer than your usual previous ones.

Edit: I wouldn't wish for more durable trim, I'm more concerned with the durability of the piano black trim or whatever it is like around the window switches. I've got a thousand miles on my F Sport and that black junk is already showing scratches everywhere.
Hairline scratches? I got some on mine too and my instrument cluster lens also has tons of those hairline scratches and 1 slightly deeper scratch near the fuel meter. Don't know how it got there, that plastic is so fragile.
Old 09-02-14, 12:52 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you hold out one more year for GS F?
Old 09-02-14, 09:25 AM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why trade your car in for the same thing? Why not just keep it?
Old 09-02-14, 10:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Go with the 435i GC - u can option it with Leather Dash and Black Wood for the classy luxury feel, i would also get the LED headlights. The NAV system and HUD in the BMWs is awesome.

I have had ZERO issues with my 535i thus far.
Im currently at 18k miles, just had 1 oil change so far and no other maint.

If u like the GS, wait till the refresh but im sure u may want to experience a new car.
Old 09-02-14, 11:38 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

What about the Infiniti Q50s, Cadillac CTS V-Sport? The Caddy has 420 HP out of the 6 cylinder
Old 09-02-14, 11:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

at the price of a V Sport might as well get an RCF since he doesnt have to get 4 door
Old 09-02-14, 11:48 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
at the price of a V Sport might as well get an RCF since he doesnt have to get 4 door
I didn't think the V Sport was that much more expensive. I know the V series is alot more expensive and firmly in RC-F territory, but any of the V's will probably kill the RC-F from a standstill and around a track. My friend has the CTS-V coupe with about 620hp on tap (it has been upgraded) and it is scary fast. Cadillac is quoting 4 second 0-60 times on the V cars.
Old 09-02-14, 01:20 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flippd
Why trade your car in for the same thing? Why not just keep it?
It depends if he leased it or purchased it i guess, cause I lease my cars and just traded in my 2013 GS 350 F Sport for a 2014 GS F sport and my payment went down $180 bucks, so for me it made sense.
Old 09-02-14, 01:59 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Hairline scratches? I got some on mine too and my instrument cluster lens also has tons of those hairline scratches and 1 slightly deeper scratch near the fuel meter. Don't know how it got there, that plastic is so fragile.
The beauty of it is that the instrument cluster plastic can be polished!
Old 09-02-14, 02:08 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
The beauty of it is that the instrument cluster plastic can be polished!
What do you mean? How so?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why I will probably trade for another GS F Sport