GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Replacing Windshield in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-14, 12:39 PM
depechek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replacing Windshield in Houston

So it seems like none of the Lexus dealers want to replace the windshield themselves if you are going to claim through your insurance. They will only do it if you pay the full retail price out of pocket. I did get a referral from Sterling McCall Lexus for Elite Glass in Houston. But to me it seemed like they just choose a name at random out of the phone book. I only say this because I told the guy from Elite that Sterling McCall Lexus referred him. I followed up by asking him do he get a lot of job referrals from that dealership and he was silent. So now I am apprehensive about taking it to this place because of that conversation and that I can not locate a single review about this place good or bad. He did however, assured me it is going to be Lexus glass since there are no aftermarket glass available yet for the 2013-2014 GS. Anyone have any recommendations places that can get OEM glass that also do a great job installing in Houston?

I need to move quickly b4 aftermarket glass becomes available and insurance companies start charging more for OEM.
Old 08-22-14, 02:59 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to break it to you but an aftermarket windshield does exist for 2013/14 gs. I need to have mine replace under windshield protection plan from sterling McCall; free if I get aftermarket and over $600 if u get OEM. Safelite is what Lexus contracts out to
Old 08-22-14, 03:32 PM
depechek
Driver

Did not know that. I rather pay more for OEM anyways. This is not a cheap car to go cheap on. My Tacoma on the other hand aftermarket glass is fine. I'll give Safelite a call on Monday. Thanks. Anyone else have recommendations?
Old 08-23-14, 08:08 AM
kdsr123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine cracked, with HUD, and westside installed it.
If they mess it up, you can complain.
Old 08-23-14, 09:31 AM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like this car is really prone to cracking glass with 1 little rock chip
Old 08-23-14, 11:02 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OEM are very expensive. I did use safelite for aftermarket one, I just made sure that they use the the glass made in US, you dont want Chinese glass
Old 08-23-14, 05:49 PM
depechek
Driver

Originally Posted by kdsr123
Mine cracked, with HUD, and westside installed it.
If they mess it up, you can complain.
Westside Lexus? You have a contact? I called them and they flat out said they don't deal with insurance claims.
Old 08-23-14, 05:55 PM
depechek
Driver

Originally Posted by JEFFOS69
Seems like this car is really prone to cracking glass with 1 little rock chip
Yeah you don't say. We (family members) got three new Lexus in Dec 2013 and all three have cracked glass. 2 GS350F and RX350 have cracked glass in 4-8months. We had a 2008 LS (over 100K) and have a 2010 IS350 (80K)with no chip or cracked glass. Dunno maybe just unlucky with chips and cracks this time, who knows.
Old 08-23-14, 09:20 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had my es 330 windshield replace by safelight... never again. They did an awful job. The glass fogs up and always has some haze to it. I'm constantly cleaning the inside of the class. They ruined the rain sensing wipers.
FAIL...
Old 08-23-14, 11:24 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I go through my insurance they would let me pick any shop even dealership and cut me a check later. Time to ditch your insurance company.
Old 08-24-14, 06:01 AM
jayyyy
Driver

http://www.texas-auto-glass.com/

they did my insurance claim for me and northside lexus uses them. mobile and used oem class. which was like 1600 but i didnt pay for anything since i had glass coverage.
2014 gs f spot
Old 08-26-14, 07:17 PM
depechek
Driver

Originally Posted by onexcite
If I go through my insurance they would let me pick any shop even dealership and cut me a check later. Time to ditch your insurance company.
My insurance company which is Amica is letting me use the dealer, but the dealerships won't play ball. They ask if I am using insurance and once I answer yes they tell me go somewhere else.
Old 08-26-14, 07:18 PM
depechek
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by jayyyy
http://www.texas-auto-glass.com/

they did my insurance claim for me and northside lexus uses them. mobile and used oem class. which was like 1600 but i didnt pay for anything since i had glass coverage.
2014 gs f spot
Thanks Jayy I will try them.
Old 08-26-14, 07:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Go through the dealer's body shop, not their service shop. The service shop has no way of dealing with insurance, but the body shop does obviously.

I've had a couple Lexus windshields replaced at Lindsay Lexus' collision center and it was great. The same dealer's service center was clueless and said the same thing.
Old 08-29-14, 02:10 PM
depechek
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Go through the dealer's body shop, not their service shop. The service shop has no way of dealing with insurance, but the body shop does obviously.

I've had a couple Lexus windshields replaced at Lindsay Lexus' collision center and it was great. The same dealer's service center was clueless and said the same thing.
Crazy thing is I've tried that and so has my insurance company and Sterling McCall Lexus Collision Center will not return our calls. It's been a month of calling and waiting and not hearing back from the collision center person that is suppose to handle the windshield claim.

Quick Reply: Replacing Windshield in Houston