GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Back to Lexus from BMW...Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 10:39 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I see more BMW loaner/courtesy cars in my neighborhood than Lexus.

If that means anything.
Old 08-13-14, 10:52 AM
jucytec
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP Checkout Bimmerfest and Audiforums for the Car that you consider equivalent to a GS. Sort the view by view count. nearly all the top ones for audi and bmw are regarding known issues and help on fixes. on this site... mostly people just sharing pics of their cars.
Old 08-13-14, 01:22 PM
joehp1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a 700. 500 and most recently a 335 convertible. Terrible reliability on all 3. The 335 left me stranded between the run flats blowing out on the DC beltway (and having to be towed!) to the fuel pump, which was replaced 3X in 3 years. Just terrible!

Had had 6 Lexus and never had all the problems combined that I had with the 4335 alone!

Have a 2012 GS350 fully loaded and my wife thaw the CT200. Had each for two years and zero problems!
Old 08-13-14, 01:29 PM
tigermack
Driver School Candidate

Nothing wrong with my BMW as long as you know what you're doing and don't wait til stuff blows up. lol
Old 08-13-14, 01:46 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Game Changer for sure!

Originally Posted by Rexus300
The dealer is wrong that the Sport + only changes dampers on the f-sport. It does much more. It stiffens up the steering wheel and increase throttle/engine reponse. It also makes the engine more likely to downshift quicker and lead to faster acceleration and to allow you to engage the manual paddle shifters more. It is also much better and more planted then the Luxury with the Sport + dampers. I have the GS Luxury loaner right now and the car is a bit soft sprunged due to the dampers even in sports +. The body roll is more in the luxury and the steering is a bit less feedback then the F-sport.
I'm glad you clarified that. That one issue struck me a curious when the dealer guy insisted "no difference" between the models. I would think Lexus engineers would give you more in Sport + for drivetrain and chassis. After all, its just software (no big hardware cost) and if the BMW 5 was their target car, then this feature is a must have, IMHO.
Now that you've clarified it, its removed one more hurdle from me going with Lexus.
I'm just on the fence about a '14 or just wait for a '15. Lexus is so silent about changes, if any, on the new model. Guess I may wait and see.
THANKS for your info!
Old 08-13-14, 02:55 PM
gotink
Rookie

The RWD also has bigger brakes up front and staggered wheels...
Old 08-13-14, 05:56 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

You'll miss the power, even if you don't always use it. I cross-shopped both before settling for the GS. Part of the reason was familiarity with the brand, my previous vehicle was an IS. The other was how the cars drove. I felt the GS handled better and drove more like it's smaller sibling (IS) than the larger car than it is, while the BMW drives like the hefty car it is, feeling more like a 7 series than a 3 series. Which was eye opening for me since this is an area where BMW has historically been untouchable in years past. I also preferred the interior of the GS
Old 08-13-14, 06:28 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
I'm glad you clarified that. That one issue struck me a curious when the dealer guy insisted "no difference" between the models. I would think Lexus engineers would give you more in Sport + for drivetrain and chassis. After all, its just software (no big hardware cost) and if the BMW 5 was their target car, then this feature is a must have, IMHO.
Now that you've clarified it, its removed one more hurdle from me going with Lexus.
I'm just on the fence about a '14 or just wait for a '15. Lexus is so silent about changes, if any, on the new model. Guess I may wait and see.
THANKS for your info!
If you want the best handling GS possible, be sure to specify the DRS (rear steering ) option.

DRS in action :

Old 08-13-14, 08:55 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
If you want the best handling GS possible, be sure to specify the DRS (rear steering ) option
Natnut is right about that.

On that note does anybody know why there are no DRS equipped cars sent to California? Meanwhile if you search inventory for a state like Texas, DRS is practically standard equipment?!?!
Old 08-14-14, 08:50 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Natnut is right about that.

On that note does anybody know why there are no DRS equipped cars sent to California? Meanwhile if you search inventory for a state like Texas, DRS is practically standard equipment?!?!
I think it has to do with Lexus backwards idea of allocation and who wants what. I'd love to have gotten that as an option out here. Not to mention DRCC and LKA, but I think the latter just aren't common in general.
Old 08-14-14, 10:40 AM
XBimR
Driver

I had three BMW's over 14 years before buying my '13 GS F. They were all 3 series.

I loved the performance - especially the '95 M3 I had - and they were all great drivers cars. They never stranded me, but I saw the quality drop from my '95 M3 to '01 330i to '06 330i. The '06 had stuff like go wrong like: peeling of the steering wheel, oil leaks at 50K miles (I treated it much better than the '95), the rubber seal at the top of the windshield flaked off (and to fix you have to replace the entire windshield), weird spotting on the crome trims around windows I could never get off, overflow tank needing to be replaced at 60K miles.... and this was on top of paying $3K for tires and brakes every two years just doing normal driving in traffic.

While the Lexus is a fast car, and the GS is as close as Lexus has ever gotten to BMW chassis wise, it's not the pure experience of BMW. However, it's close, and the build quality (17K miles and NO RATTLES AT ALL!), feel of the car (comfort but dial it up on command) and reliability (basing this mostly on my wifes RX which has 100K miles and zero issues) are far superior.

I will add I never had any issues with BMW service at dealership, but the same is true for Lexus. I had a very good indy BMW shop that always did me right too. The funny thing about repair shops (in the south SF Bay at least) is there are several really good BMW/German make indy shops but NONE for Lexus. Kinda says it all doesn't it?
Old 08-14-14, 10:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

BMWs are getting softened up and more bloated, hence why 3 series and 5 series lost to IS and GS in recent tests
Old 08-14-14, 11:19 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
And, he said that the Sport + feature is the SAME on the luxury model as on the F Sport. I asked him if he was sure, and he confirmed this. I find this hard to believe. Do you know if this is the case?
It is not the same between FSport and Luxury. The computer is much more aggressive on the FSport versions of the car; I would have purchased the hybrid if it were not! Though I hear in 2015 the hybrid versions do get the FSport package.

Start watching at 9m 30s for the details.

Old 08-14-14, 11:45 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Not exactly free, rather it is rolled into the price of the vehicle.
I agree with that. And a comparable 535 is a solid $10,000 more than. GS350.
Old 08-14-14, 08:27 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XBimR
While the Lexus is a fast car, and the GS is as close as Lexus has ever gotten to BMW chassis wise, it's not the pure experience of BMW. However, it's close, and the build quality (17K miles and NO RATTLES AT ALL!), feel of the car (comfort but dial it up on command) and reliability (basing this mostly on my wifes RX which has 100K miles and zero issues) are far superior.
Based on my test drives, I'd agree in the sense where "close" meaning the GS has actually surpassed the 5 series chassis, echoing what I've been hearing in recent reviews. The engine though is a huge deficit for the GS. Really doesn't do the rest of the car justice.

Quick Reply: Back to Lexus from BMW...Any regrets?