GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Which Lexus should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 11:16 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I seriously considered the '15 3.8 Genesis AWD but optioned out, it was pretty close to $50K. Went for CPO '13 GS and saved about 7-8 grand. I do no think the 0-60 performance of the '15 Genesis 3.8 AWD will impress anyone. It is a heavy car.
Old 08-11-14, 12:04 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

ES owners most likely will tell you to get the ES for various reasons. GS owners with or without having owned ES before will tell you to get the GS. If MPG and the little less back space are not a concern for you and you can afford the price difference, get the GS. IMO, except the back hump, everything is better in the GS.
Old 08-11-14, 04:30 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
ES owners most likely will tell you to get the ES for various reasons. GS owners with or without having owned ES before will tell you to get the GS. If MPG and the little less back space are not a concern for you and you can afford the price difference, get the GS. IMO, except the back hump, everything is better in the GS.
I own both a 2011 ES350 (wife's car) and a 2014 GS350 F-Sport (my car) - this weekend I drove the ES350 about 500 miles on a road trip and then got back into my GS this morning (wow I am glad to be back in the GS).

I don't own a 2013+ ES so I can't say for sure - but I think the biggest difference is the suspension design (MacPherson Struts in the ES versus Double Wishbone in the GS).

The ES (at least in the 2011) has a softer suspension, with more body roll, less steering resistance, very little to no steering feel and overall a more "plush" ride. The car tries to isolate you from everything going on, and that is the purpose of the car a luxury highway cruiser. That said however, the MacPherson Struts do not lend themselves as well to uneven road surfaces and transfer vibrations into the cabin more than the GS's Double Wishbone suspension does. This results in the GS feeling smoother over certain road surfaces than the ES. For what its worth, the GS is also quieter than the ES and I think that is simply because it is a higher end car that is built better.

I think your wife needs to test drive both to see which suits her best. There is a lot more than just the smoothness of the ride. She may prefer the seats in one versus the other or the steering, etc.

I think the GS is a great car - I love it, I don't want to take anything away from it - but based on your description of her preferences, it sounds to me like the ES would be a better fit and it'd be cheaper of course. But the only way of course you'll know for sure is to test drive both - and the LS too which it sounds like you're considering
Old 08-11-14, 06:59 PM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
I own both a 2011 ES350 (wife's car) and a 2014 GS350 F-Sport (my car) - this weekend I drove the ES350 about 500 miles on a road trip and then got back into my GS this morning (wow I am glad to be back in the GS).

I don't own a 2013+ ES so I can't say for sure - but I think the biggest difference is the suspension design (MacPherson Struts in the ES versus Double Wishbone in the GS).

The ES (at least in the 2011) has a softer suspension, with more body roll, less steering resistance, very little to no steering feel and overall a more "plush" ride. The car tries to isolate you from everything going on, and that is the purpose of the car a luxury highway cruiser. That said however, the MacPherson Struts do not lend themselves as well to uneven road surfaces and transfer vibrations into the cabin more than the GS's Double Wishbone suspension does. This results in the GS feeling smoother over certain road surfaces than the ES. For what its worth, the GS is also quieter than the ES and I think that is simply because it is a higher end car that is built better.

I think your wife needs to test drive both to see which suits her best. There is a lot more than just the smoothness of the ride. She may prefer the seats in one versus the other or the steering, etc.

I think the GS is a great car - I love it, I don't want to take anything away from it - but based on your description of her preferences, it sounds to me like the ES would be a better fit and it'd be cheaper of course. But the only way of course you'll know for sure is to test drive both - and the LS too which it sounds like you're considering
Thanks for the detailed answer. Very helpful
Old 08-11-14, 07:03 PM
darth
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the GS today. Very impressed with it. Handles very nicely. Was a pleasure to drive.

Last edited by darth; 08-11-14 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 07:09 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus goes out of its way to build a performance oriented luxury sedan and badge it (F Sport), yet most buyers have no clue. This is how we end up with a comparison between the sharp edged GS and the comfortable but unspirited ES. Frustrating to say the least.

Without any malice toward the OP, please get the ES or Avalon or even Camry. They are excellent cars built for your needs.
Old 08-11-14, 07:25 PM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Lexus goes out of its way to build a performance oriented luxury sedan and badge it (F Sport), yet most buyers have no clue. This is how we end up with a comparison between the sharp edged GS and the comfortable but unspirited ES. Frustrating to say the least.

Without any malice toward the OP, please get the ES or Avalon or even Camry. They are excellent cars built for your needs.
The decision for us is not that simple. Both my wife and I will drive the car, although she will use it more. Her ask is for a comfortable ride, but I want one that will also give driving enjoyment.

We are trying to pick ONE car that will satisfy both our wants. The ES may satisfy her needs but it will be too mushy for me. The question is whether the GS will satisfy her comfort needs enough without being floaty when I drive it.

After test driving it today, I think it will. Now she has to test drive it also :-)
Old 08-11-14, 07:30 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

If someone today told me he would give me $15,000 cash if I just trade my GS for a Brand New 2014 Loaded ES I would not do it. And if I owned a New 14 ES I would pay an extra $20,000 to get a GS. That is how much better the GS is.
Old 08-11-14, 08:39 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thread on AWD if you're still thinking about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-in-texas.html
Old 08-12-14, 02:31 PM
BornDriver
Driver

OP was asking RX VS GS. Then some GS drivers came in to bash ES. LOL
Old 08-12-14, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver
I don't think I've seen anybody bash the ES...
Old 08-12-14, 03:08 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BornDriver
Pretty sure that didn't actually happen.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't think I've seen anybody bash the ES...
Old 08-12-14, 05:01 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a short note about the AWD - I drove the car in heavy rain today and the car handled beautifully. I'm on brand new tires of course, I have the Bridgestone Turanza EL400s. But it was impressive - I was able to drive at the same speed I normally do in the rain around curves with no problem. Also standing water - which normally would yank my old car towards the water (maybe this is a FWD trait?) - hardly had an effect on the car.

I've never driven the RWD GS350 (they didn't have any RWD models in Northern Virginia that I could find) - and obviously not in the rain so I don't know if the car would handle the same.

But I was really impressed with the way the car drove - I love it even more now.

BTW- based on your most recent comments about wanting your wife to like it but also wanting some driving enjoyment - I think the GS is definitely a good fit for you. Hopefully your wife agrees!
Old 08-12-14, 07:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Really nothing attributable to the AWD there, more the new tires. I have the same car with tires in the last 1/4 of their life and mine was a little squirrely in the same rain.

I think a luxury package GS might be the ticket for the OP.
Old 08-12-14, 10:13 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus vs BMW

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I have both a 550 BMW and a GS with Luxury. The GS rides better. Part of the problem with the BMWs is there run-flat tires.
Hi,
I just posted an inquiry on this forum earlier "Back to Lexus from BMW..Any Regrets?" and see some of my questions are answered in this tread.
I would especially appreciate your thoughts since you still have a BMW and a Lexus as well.

I am amazed at the Lexus styling and very nice interiors. I like power, but no fuss, nimble handling is what I crave in a luxury sedan. My wive's DD, a 2008 528i w/ Sport Package, is a very drivable car. You can toss it around with ease and it never gets into trouble (thanks to active roll bars and an underpowered 6 cylinder). My '12 550i M Sport is less nimble, can't really toss it around. This is even after I've changed to Dinan springs, shock software, M5 sway bar, M5 exhaust. I just can't drive it at slow and fun at the same time. But, when pushed (sport + mode) the car is a monster. Engine/trans and suspension really works at the limit. But I'm breaking all kinds of speed laws and safety concerns. I'm sure you've experienced the same in your M Sport.

It is my hope that a Lexus GS350 F sport is as nimble and toss-able as my wife's old 528i. I don't need the Dr. Jeckle/Hyde personality of my 550i nor all that power. Aside from the free BMW maintenance and similar MPG, other than power, I don't see the advantage of the BMW over the Lexus. Your thoughts? Thanks

Quick Reply: Which Lexus should I buy?