GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Which Lexus should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 04:23 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't go with the rx just because it's at the end of it's tooth. I wouldn't really say that the gs or es are too firm, my wife use to have a 2013 MDX Advance that rode like junk. I would take a shot in the dark and say that either the gs or es would be like a couch compared to your MDX. I would go with the gs, even without f sport they are still rewarding to drive. The es, well I just don't get. Not to offend, but I just see that car as being an older gentlemen's car on a budget. I'm not a fan of it.
Old 08-10-14, 04:45 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

If you wondering if Awd on a lexus will help you on rainy wet slippery roads look no further. I think the Awd versions of the GS is very good at mainyaining traction to all wheels on rain or snow. If you get the Awd version then you will also get the 6speed transmission which is very responsive but you will loose some MPGs. I have the RWD GS and it comes with 8speed. I dont really like the 8speed because ita not as reaponsive as the 6 speed. Due to the fact that the transmission cpu cannot decide which gear to be in going up amd down hills and when I want to pass another car on the highway it almost always never give me a low enough gear to pass quickly. I would always have to use the paddle shifter to manually get it down to the appropriate gear for my pass. Its embarrasing to floor the gas pedal to pass a Toyota Corrolla and all it does is make alot of noise and take an eternity to complete that passing manuver and pray to god that the Corrolla is not flooring it too. Lol
Old 08-10-14, 05:17 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darth
Thanks. Does the AWD have a big advantage over RWD on wet city roads?
I would think the advantage on wet roads would be minimal, as long as you're driving like a responsible adult (which it seems you would). In my opinion, tires make a bigger difference in the rain than drivetrain. It would make a difference on snow and ice, though in the winter I'd still take a 2 wheel drive vehicle with blizzaks over a 4 wheel drive with summer tires. However, given that you won't be doing that too much, I wouldn't use that as a deciding factor.
Old 08-10-14, 05:47 PM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
If you wondering if Awd on a lexus will help you on rainy wet slippery roads look no further. I think the Awd versions of the GS is very good at mainyaining traction to all wheels on rain or snow. If you get the Awd version then you will also get the 6speed transmission which is very responsive but you will loose some MPGs. I have the RWD GS and it comes with 8speed. I dont really like the 8speed because ita not as reaponsive as the 6 speed. Due to the fact that the transmission cpu cannot decide which gear to be in going up amd down hills and when I want to pass another car on the highway it almost always never give me a low enough gear to pass quickly. I would always have to use the paddle shifter to manually get it down to the appropriate gear for my pass. Its embarrasing to floor the gas pedal to pass a Toyota Corrolla and all it does is make alot of noise and take an eternity to complete that passing manuver and pray to god that the Corrolla is not flooring it too. Lol
Wow, thanks for that insight. For some reason, I thought the 8 speed would be better because it would be able to shift smoother!!

I was actually feeling a little bummed out that the AWD version only came with 6 speeds. Learn new things every day :-)
Old 08-10-14, 05:50 PM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I would think the advantage on wet roads would be minimal, as long as you're driving like a responsible adult (which it seems you would). In my opinion, tires make a bigger difference in the rain than drivetrain. It would make a difference on snow and ice, though in the winter I'd still take a 2 wheel drive vehicle with blizzaks over a 4 wheel drive with summer tires. However, given that you won't be doing that too much, I wouldn't use that as a deciding factor.
The reason I asked was because my friend has the Hyundai Genesis V8 RWD and he says his car skids like crazy on wet roads. He felt the RWD was the reason. He was saying it was embarrassing to see compact front wheel drive cars pass him during the rains while he crawled at low speed because he was scared of skidding. Maybe it's his tires then.
Old 08-10-14, 06:28 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

test drive by the prospective owner.
There will be random subjective things that nobody will think of. Like the steering wheel is too hard to turn (bmw). Or the seat is lumpy or too stiff.

Come back when there's a technical question to ask.
Old 08-10-14, 06:51 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

I second that the GS AWD system works great on wet roads. It's most noticeable at intersections where there's lots of rubber laid down and where in most cars you can easily spin a wheel trying to accelerate into a gap in traffic. Doesn't happen in the GS, it just goes.
Old 08-10-14, 07:04 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just wait for the NX...
Old 08-10-14, 07:24 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

I owned a 2013 MDX and it was a great highway cruiser. I have a 2014 GS 350 F-Sport and I can say that it is the most comfortable highway cruiser I've ever driven. The seats in the F-Sport are awesome. I don't feel like the ride is harsh at all. Once your wife sites in a GS, I don't there will be any way she will want an RX or ES. With the exception of the LS, I think the GS has, by far, the most luxurious interior in the Lexus lineup.

If you go with the F-Sport version, then there will be some goodies that you will enjoy.
Old 08-10-14, 07:26 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Better yet why not wait for the RC350?
Old 08-10-14, 08:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

BTW, do you have the RWD or AWD version? Do you think it makes a difference on wet roads or is the difference minimal?
Mines AWD. It's a great AWD system in rain and snow.
Old 08-10-14, 08:23 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, thanks for that insight. For some reason, I thought the 8 speed would be better because it would be able to shift smoother!!

I was actually feeling a little bummed out that the AWD version only came with 6 speeds. Learn new things every day :-)
For what it's worth, my 8 speed is perfect. I like it much better than the 6 dsg in my previous car. So I wouldn't let that scare you away, just drive one.
Old 08-10-14, 08:40 PM
flippd
Driver

Bring your wife along and have her drive both the ES and GS. If she doesn't find any difference between the two, save money (both initial cost and MPG) and get the ES fully loaded, even a 300h one. Again this presupposes it's really for her and she doesn't care for a sporty ride at all and just cruises along and doesn't drive aggressively.

However, don't let her hang around when you haggle. My GF would settle for any price that'll get us out of there quickest. Of course I'm generalizing
Old 08-11-14, 06:10 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Loved my 385hp RWD Genesis sedan but after last winter in the NE, I knew I needed AWD. Could not even get my driveway which is only a modest incline. Moving from dead stop always resulted in the back end trying to break loose. I still miss that low end V8 torque but have adapted well to the GS. MPG on the Genesis was a bit better in spite of being a V8.
Old 08-11-14, 09:53 AM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a GREAT post, as I am in the same quandary with a '14 Murano LE AWD (wife's) and '08 RX400h. We are going to replace the latter and I've driven a 528 xDrive, GS350 AWD, and '15 Genesis 3.8 AWD.
The Genesis rides well, is VERY luxurious, and has good "bang for buck" but doesn't have LED DRLs and probably the lowest MPG.
The 528 was VERY impressive in many ways, would get the best MPG of the three, but many owners are not happy with this generation's seats. Plus, you have the legendary BMW UNreliability to take into account and highest price.
The GS felt really solid and planted with ample power plus you have the legendary REliability going for you. MPG would probably fall between the two.
I appreciate all the input from GS owners and am on this board at least once a day. Keep 'em coming!

Quick Reply: Which Lexus should I buy?