GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Serious resonance issues

Old 08-09-14, 03:12 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Serious resonance issues

I have been trying to sort out this issue for some time now, without getting any closer to solving it. I am hoping you guys can give me a different perspective on how to continue...

Problem description:
The car has a resonance around 120-135kph. It is more pronounced on roads with a rough surface then it is on roads with a very smooth surface. I can feel it in the steering wheel, but also in the chair. It vibrates to the point you can see the visor vibrate. All in all it is not a nice smooth ride that the GS is supposed to be.

Car despcription:
The car I bought second hand four months ago and is a GS450h F-sport. It is from june 2012. Specifically for those that remember the 120 heartbeats promotion of Lexus Italy, it is one of the cars in the movie (Plate: EN507EE).

Actions taken so far:
1. All four wheels rebalanced
2. Car alligned
3. Front wheels straightened.
4. Shocks tested.
5. Roadforce balance
6. Rear tires replaced (Michelin)
7. Roadforce ballance
8. Front tires replaced (Michelin)
9. Roadforce balance
10. Recall for rear suspension rubbers done.

Things to come:
1. Drive in other GS450h F-sport (Cross off the "I am a little princess" factor.)
2. ....

So I am kind off at a standstill here. I don't know what to do about this issue anymore. I tried to go to a different garage, but they want to start all over with the balancing. I am affraid there may be bigger issues here and that the best way to go is take my losses and get another car.....
Old 08-09-14, 06:11 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that resonance with a few bad set of tires on this GS. Make sure the road force numbers are BELOW 10 lbs for the wheeland tire combo or the GS will vibrate in that speed band. The industry is below 16 lbs but lexus is sensitive. Same goes for my BMW. If you can verify the road force and make sure they understand it need to be single digit road force for glass smooth ride at all speed.
Old 08-09-14, 06:13 AM
Matt11212
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your wheel bearings.
Old 08-09-14, 06:16 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Matt11212
Check your wheel bearings.
Possible but unlikely. They become noisy and humm hummm when turing left or right gently on highways and increases with speed.
Old 08-09-14, 06:48 AM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hube
I have been trying to sort out this issue for some time now, without getting any closer to solving it. I am hoping you guys can give me a different perspective on how to continue... Problem description: The car has a resonance around 120-135kph. It is more pronounced on roads with a rough surface then it is on roads with a very smooth surface. I can feel it in the steering wheel, but also in the chair. It vibrates to the point you can see the visor vibrate. All in all it is not a nice smooth ride that the GS is supposed to be. Car despcription: The car I bought second hand four months ago and is a GS450h F-sport. It is from june 2012. Specifically for those that remember the 120 heartbeats promotion of Lexus Italy, it is one of the cars in the movie (Plate: EN507EE). Actions taken so far: 1. All four wheels rebalanced 2. Car alligned 3. Front wheels straightened. 4. Shocks tested. 5. Roadforce balance 6. Rear tires replaced (Michelin) 7. Roadforce ballance 8. Front tires replaced (Michelin) 9. Roadforce balance 10. Recall for rear suspension rubbers done. Things to come: 1. Drive in other GS450h F-sport (Cross off the "I am a little princess" factor.) 2. .... So I am kind off at a standstill here. I don't know what to do about this issue anymore. I tried to go to a different garage, but they want to start all over with the balancing. I am affraid there may be bigger issues here and that the best way to go is take my losses and get another car.....
i had that same issue on a previous car. Bad or incorrectly mounted tires.
Old 08-09-14, 06:51 AM
Matt11212
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Possible but unlikely. They become noisy and humm hummm when turing left or right gently on highways and increases with speed.
Its really hard to say. It could be the rear bearings, I've had a damaged rear bearing and it made no noise and was only noticeable when you went up to highway speeds.
Old 08-09-14, 07:53 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had my f sport since Monday, it has an annoying vibration from 65-75mph which was kinda disappointing...
Old 08-09-14, 08:52 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

One thing I would've done differently was chose a different brand of tire. I see a lot of people here complain about them.
Old 08-09-14, 02:34 PM
hube
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice. The wheel bearings i'll check, should be easy enough to locate if there is a problem with that. But balancing them again seems just a little repetitive to me (Done it so many times now without any result).

Anyway, monday I will be driving another GS f-sport from the dealer. I hope it will turn out I am overly sensitive, however I do doubt that.

But again thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.
Old 08-09-14, 02:52 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice. The wheel bearings i'll check, should be easy enough to locate if there is a problem with that. But balancing them again seems just a little repetitive to me (Done it so many times now without any result).

Anyway, monday I will be driving another GS f-sport from the dealer. I hope it will turn out I am overly sensitive, however I do doubt that.

But again thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.
I had a vaguely similar problem with my SC430, and initially blamed it on the rotors being warped causing the whole front of the car vibrate when I touched the brakes. Due to the imbalance I was getting vibrations while going 120-140kph, and even after having the whole system redone, the slight vibrations continued and eventually made it back into serious vibrations at speed and especially while braking.

I went through each of the following steps to see if that fixed the problem: completely replaced the brakes/rotors etc, alignment, wheels balanced, new tires. Each repair/replacement nearly removed the vibration, and over time it built back up.

Finally I had each of the above done all within 2 days, and that totally fixed the vibration issues and the car was silky smooth after that. So if checking/replacing the bearings doesn't workout, you might need to do everything you've done all at once.
Old 08-11-14, 10:18 AM
hube
Pole Position

I got another GS450h F-sport today to testdrive from my dealer. Also this car has the underlying resonance issue. I was kind of relieved to find that out.

However the issue is much more pronounced in my vehicle. Also the GS today had a much directer and more stable steering experience (in my own GS it seems like I am making a lot more small corrections when driving on a straight road). This makes me think in the direction of one or more shocks that may not be performing optimally.
Old 08-11-14, 09:43 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

However the issue is much more pronounced in my vehicle. Also the GS today had a much directer and more stable steering experience (in my own GS it seems like I am making a lot more small corrections when driving on a straight road). This makes me think in the direction of one or more shocks that may not be performing optimally.
This is more likely to do with alignment settings. Not to say that your cars is not in spec, but that the other's settings maybe more of what you prefer
Old 08-12-14, 12:48 AM
hube
Pole Position

Why allignment? Doesn't that mean the car spulls one way?. (Which is not the case in my car.)
Old 08-12-14, 10:43 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

I got another GS450h F-sport today to testdrive from my dealer. Also this car has the underlying resonance issue. I was kind of relieved to find that out.

This tells me your alignment is out (too much toe-out in front wheels or not enough negative camber in the rear wheels to keep the car stable at high speed. You never mentioned what road force lbs you are getting.... I know that the resonance or vibration as I call it is due to bad balancing job or slightly out of spec Michelins. I had a bad batch of Michelins 2 years ago on this gs ans the car will vibrate slightly at 75 mph zone.
Old 08-12-14, 11:32 PM
hube
Pole Position

Sorry, should have done that

I only have the roadforce measurement of the front tires. 35n en 45n. I'll attach a scan of the testresults. These are in Dutch however.

http://www.lexusforum.nl/Downloads/G...ose_wheels.pdf

There is also some more development. I asked my dealer what the results were for the recall. He told me it was never done. Which explains why I never felt a difference. Tuesday he needs to go through a "procedure" and after that I can make a new appointment for that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serious resonance issues