GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Terrible gas mileage on GS350 AWD F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 09:32 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
Totally agree - I don't really like driving the ES but my wife likes it. The GS on the other hand is a different story - I actually look forward to driving it everyday

I was just curious if others experienced the same kind of gas mileage as I do and if it would get better as the miles increase .. and it wasn't something wrong with the car or anything.

If price were no issue, I think I'd be happiest with the new 2015 GS450h F-Sport - best of both worlds! Although if price truly were no issue, I wouldn't care about mpg, and I'd be driving a Ferrari or some other supercar hahaha...
Ryan my guess is you're not driving it like a Prius even though you think you are. I drive 80% highway and I am going 19.2-19.6 over the first 3500 miles. I know I don't drive in a gas saving way, but I don't push is as much as I'd like. I'm not upset as I was getting the same mileage on my SC430 and driving it much more sedately.
Old 08-09-14, 11:59 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Totally agree - I don't really like driving the ES but my wife likes it. The GS on the other hand is a different story - I actually look forward to driving it everyday

I was just curious if others experienced the same kind of gas mileage as I do and if it would get better as the miles increase .. and it wasn't something wrong with the car or anything.

If price were no issue, I think I'd be happiest with the new 2015 GS450h F-Sport - best of both worlds! Although if price truly were no issue, I wouldn't care about mpg, and I'd be driving a Ferrari or some other supercar hahaha...
Infiniti makes some nice "sport hybrids" also, specifically the Q50h. It gets extra torque and HP although the mileage per gallon isn't super high, the performance makes up for it. I think alot of manufacturers, rather than turbocharging a teeny tiny 2 liter 4cyl, will start going this route instead to bump up performance.
Old 08-10-14, 12:19 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Very true. My window sticker does say 19 and 29 mpg though and it would be nice to actually achieve that but it's looking more like 17 and 26 to me.
When the car was brand new i was getting 14MPG. 14 man, 14!
Old 08-10-14, 04:45 AM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
Ryan my guess is you're not driving it like a Prius even though you think you are. I drive 80% highway and I am going 19.2-19.6 over the first 3500 miles. I know I don't drive in a gas saving way, but I don't push is as much as I'd like. I'm not upset as I was getting the same mileage on my SC430 and driving it much more sedately.
My car is AWD where as yours is RWD which gets better gas mileage too so I think that might make a difference. My 2nd fill was 19.7mpg which is about what you're getting - but I am driving it in Eco the entire time and not revving the engine beyond 2000rpms.

Driving it however I want (not flooring it - but driving it faster - shifting regularly at around 3000-3500rpms. I was seeing around 17mpg.
Old 08-10-14, 06:05 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is AWD where as yours is RWD which gets better gas mileage too so I think that might make a difference. My 2nd fill was 19.7mpg which is about what you're getting - but I am driving it in Eco the entire time and not revving the engine beyond 2000rpms.

Driving it however I want (not flooring it - but driving it faster - shifting regularly at around 3000-3500rpms. I was seeing around 17mpg.
Lower RPMs don't necessarily mean better mileage, there is a function to the amount of gas input into the cylinders x rpm that determines mileage. Flooring a car in 6th gear to speed up will waste more gas then downshifting to 5th and pressing on the gas less.

I think you're getting reasonable mileage for your car. If you're really concerned, you should drive 300+ miles on a single run and keeping the speed around 70 the entire way to see what kind of mileage you get.
Old 08-10-14, 08:39 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

LOL - oh hahaha - I totally misunderstood. Is that just because you're on the gas all the time to hear the exhaust though?

I filled up my tank yesterday - got 19.71mpg according to my phone app, 19.4mpg according to the car, pretty close!

I babied the car and did mostly highway driving on the way to work and the car reported I was getting 21mpg - woohoo But then I went out to lunch with my co-workers, wasn't paying attention and when I got back in the car to go home the car said I was getting 17mpg haha...

I guess I just have to deal with it until I put enough miles on the car.

Drove my wife's 2011 ES350 last night on a trip up to my parent's house and did full highway driving and got 29mpg reported by the car and that was with me cruising at ~80mph half of the trip. She gets 25mpg regularly in mostly city driving too - I'd love it if I got that - but the AWD and extra weight may have some influence there - plus she drives a lot slower than I do
Most likely yes but I def get worse mileage with the valves open vs close.
Old 03-03-15, 07:32 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if op is getting better mileage....has it improved?
Old 03-04-15, 05:07 AM
RyanC
Driver

Originally Posted by sharmila19
I wonder if op is getting better mileage....has it improved?
Not really. I don't have a ton of mileage on the car still - I'm at about 4700 miles. I love the car, but I do think that the gas mileage is definitely one of the weaknesses of the 4GS.

I realize you don't buy the car for gas mileage - but a TLX SH-AWD (w/9-speed) using the same J-series engine from 1996 with updates over the past 20 years, in the real world is getting better than EPA estimates (21 city, 31 highway) and my wife's 2014 MDX SUV (with 6 speed) that weighs more is getting better gas mileage it is hard to say that the 4GS is doing a good job in that department. My wife's MDX averages 24mpg in mixed driving, and on the highway I can get up to 30mpg. I have only seen 24mpg when driving pure highway. Not saying I want to replace my car with an Acura - just that it is possible for Lexus to do better.

I track my gas mileage using an app on my phone, so it is based on the odometer reading + gallons put in the gas tank. I use the same place to fill up my gas everytime.

My gas mileage depends heavily on where I'm driving - my normal commute is spent idling at a lot of red lights. While on occasion I drive longer stints at about 60-65mph (closest to highway driving that I get).

I've found I typically get better gas mileage driving in Normal mode than Eco - I think this is a driving style issue because I tend to step on the gas harder when the car isn't accelerating fast enough for me - and with Eco making the throttle less sensitive, I probably step on it too much.

I did drive in Manumatic mode for awhile and it did improve mileage for me. I stayed in higher gears a lot of the time and only downshift when I really need to accelerate.

I've stopped worrying about gas mileage overall - not trying to floor it at every light, but I just drive the car. With gas prices down into the $2 range, it isn't as important to me Would I like it to be better? Absolutely, but going to enjoy the car instead of worrying about the gas mileage...

Last 4 fill up mpg:

16.52mpg over 210 miles
15.99mpg over 157 miles
18.39mpg over 239 miles
19.49mpg over 247 miles
Old 03-04-15, 08:47 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Last 4 fill up mpg:

16.52mpg over 210 miles
15.99mpg over 157 miles
18.39mpg over 239 miles
19.49mpg over 247 miles
The mileage traveled means very little. You could have traveled in stop-n-go traffic averaging 12 MPH, in which those MPG figures would have been good...

What was the difference between the first two and the last two? More importantly - What is your Average Speed for those four fill-ups?
Old 03-04-15, 09:30 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Acura has 9 speed? Damn that thing must be gear hunting like crazy.

I have almost 8K miles and I'm still averaging 19 MPG with traffic. 50 mile drive a day, 80% bumper to bumper traffic and some hard pulls to pass slow drivers that are hogging the fast lane.
Old 03-04-15, 11:45 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

After almost three years and about 16,000 miles, I have consistently averaged 25-27 MPG with 100% in town (mixed urban and suburban) driving. On my rare long highway trips, I get 27-30 MPG. I have a 2013 RWD GS F-Sport. I drive about 50% in Normal mode and 50% in Sport+. Last month I tried driving in Eco mode for an entire tank of gas. It made no difference in my mileage. Yes, I know I get better than the EPA mileage. And yes, I probably do drive it like a Prius.

Last edited by ECL; 03-04-15 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-04-15, 06:06 PM
RyanC
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
The mileage traveled means very little. You could have traveled in stop-n-go traffic averaging 12 MPH, in which those MPG figures would have been good...

What was the difference between the first two and the last two? More importantly - What is your Average Speed for those four fill-ups?
The car doesn't keep track of average speed per fillup, it only keeps track of average speed overall right?

I tried to describe the difference between the two in my original post - but here is a more detailed explanation -

The first two is my typical commute to work everyday - It is a 9 mile commute. There is not a lot of traffic but I spend some time sitting at red lights (I would say my average speed is probably around 30mph when taking into consideration the time I spend not moving). Speed limit is 50mph, but I generally drive about 60mph on the road.

The last two, I also drove to another office that is further away but on the same road, 30 miles away. There are some longer stretches between lights though and I'm usually able to maintain a 60-65mph speed for longer. My normal commute is also mixed in here.

The mpg hasn't improved though since I bought the car - it is the same -- basically varying depending on how much I'm able to spend cruising.
Old 03-04-15, 06:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The car doesn't keep track of average speed per fillup, it only keeps track of average speed overall right?
No...

Push the DISP button on the steering wheel to view the Multi-Information on the Display between the speedometer and tachometer. Press DISP until you see 'Average Speed' displayed. By holding the DISP button down for a few seconds the 'Average Speed' will reset back to zero, and will begin again freshly. The same technique can be used to set the MPG as well. You may want to do this each time you fill-up with gasoline.

You may be surprised how low your MPG really is. It doesn't take much sitting completely stopped at a stop light or stop sign at zero speed to really lower the average speed. Then, throw in a healthy dose of [even] gentle acceleration from complete stops and your MPG goes way down.
Old 03-04-15, 07:04 PM
RyanC
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
No...

Push the DISP button on the steering wheel to view the Multi-Information on the Display between the speedometer and tachometer. Press DISP until you see 'Average Speed' displayed. By holding the DISP button down for a few seconds the 'Average Speed' will reset back to zero, and will begin again freshly. The same technique can be used to set the MPG as well. You may want to do this each time you fill-up with gasoline.

You may be surprised how low your MPG really is. It doesn't take much sitting completely stopped at a stop light or stop sign at zero speed to really lower the average speed. Then, throw in a healthy dose of [even] gentle acceleration from complete stops and your MPG goes way down.
Gotcha - I've never reset mine, so my average mph is around 34 mph over the course of the life of the car.

Will have to try resetting the average speed (assuming I remember). I am spoiled since the car automatically resets the tank mpg everytime you fill up
Old 03-04-15, 07:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Gotcha - I've never reset mine, so my average mph is around 34 mph over the course of the life of the car.

Will have to try resetting the average speed (assuming I remember). I am spoiled since the car automatically resets the tank mpg everytime you fill up
I would say an average speed of 34 MPH for the life of the car is very high, which tells me that a majority of driving is on the highway or Interstate without much stopping or 'down' time. Mind you, it is common for city driving on mostly 35-40 mph streets with normal stoplights, etc. for the average speed to be down around 15-20 mph. Reset the Average Speed next time you get gas and see what your average speed is for a normal ~200 miles or so of driving.

Quick Reply: Terrible gas mileage on GS350 AWD F-Sport