GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Terrible gas mileage on GS350 AWD F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 08:01 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Terrible gas mileage on GS350 AWD F-Sport

I've had my car for 2 weeks now, and have about 300 miles on the car.

My first tank of gas, I got about 16-17mpg, but a lot of that time was spent sitting in the car, setting things up at the dealership, so I figured I'd improve that number with the next tank.

Right now the car says I am getting about 18.9mpg - and that is with a decent amount of highway driving. I've driven the majority of this 2nd tank of gas in Eco mode and have been trying to feather the throttle.

Windows are always up, A/C is turned on though.

I was expecting to see better numbers - think it will improve as I put more miles on the car?

Annoying that I have to try to drive the car like its a Prius to get decent gas mileage out of it. My last car (2003 Acura TL-S) wasn't averaging much better gas mileage (about 23mpg) but I also wasn't babying it either.

It'd be nice if I could get closer to what I was getting in my old car without having to be so gentle on the car -- but I understand this is an AWD car and my old car was FWD which will obviously impact fuel efficiency.
Old 08-06-14, 08:33 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2 weeks and 300 miles on your car?? I've had mine 2 days and have 450 haha! Anyways, I would recommend waiting it out and breaking it in first. 300 miles is not exactly the time to be complaining about mpg, wait until 3,000 miles to make any assumptions.
Old 08-06-14, 08:39 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
I've had my car for 2 weeks now, and have about 300 miles on the car.

My first tank of gas, I got about 16-17mpg, but a lot of that time was spent sitting in the car, setting things up at the dealership, so I figured I'd improve that number with the next tank.

Right now the car says I am getting about 18.9mpg - and that is with a decent amount of highway driving. I've driven the majority of this 2nd tank of gas in Eco mode and have been trying to feather the throttle.

Windows are always up, A/C is turned on though.

I was expecting to see better numbers - think it will improve as I put more miles on the car?

Annoying that I have to try to drive the car like its a Prius to get decent gas mileage out of it. My last car (2003 Acura TL-S) wasn't averaging much better gas mileage (about 23mpg) but I also wasn't babying it either.

It'd be nice if I could get closer to what I was getting in my old car without having to be so gentle on the car -- but I understand this is an AWD car and my old car was FWD which will obviously impact fuel efficiency.

Give it sometime to break in as stated above.
I would take it out of ECO mode on the highway, best used for city driving is what I have read here on the forum. I would get on the highway set cruise at 70, which should put you at 2000 rpm and once set, reset the avg mpg display by pressing the the lower right button the steering wheel and see what the display shows after driving for a little while. I have AWD 2013 and I get my best milage staying at 70 mph. I will get 28.5 - 30.5. on highway. If take it to 75 and above it starts dropping.

Last edited by MH6; 08-06-14 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 05:47 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Also keep in mind that the car was likely idling quite a bit as it was being rolled off the line, loaded on a boat and put on a train to the final dealership destination.

You need to reset the overall MPG.

If you bought this car for MPGs, you bought the wrong car.
Old 08-07-14, 05:56 AM
suprajjang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would give it some time. I have an AWD and I am getting roughly 24mpg mixed driving which isnt terrible for me since I came from a G35 which got rougly 20mpg highway
Old 08-07-14, 07:14 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed, give it some time. I purchased during the winter and was throttle happy and I encountered similar results. Now I am getting consistently 22 MPG mixed driving (computer calculated) 24 MPG when I calculate sing trip odometer and gallons purchased. Just did a highway trip yesterday and computer displayed last fill-up was 27 MPGs. I have '14 GS350 w/Lux Pkg.
Old 08-07-14, 08:43 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

The gas mileage gets a tad better when all broken in. I drive 90% city with short stop and go trips and get about 18 to 19 MPG. Best mileage I have gotten all highway cruising was 28MPG. I'm at almost 11K miles now in about 14 months.
Old 08-07-14, 09:21 AM
r2xj
Driver School Candidate

I have 6k miles on my AWD and I think my mpg has just started leveling off. I get 20-23 on tanks doing the same driving i originally got 16-18. Road tripped about 600 miles to california a few weeks ago and got 29-30 on a couple tanks doing 85-90 the whole way.

Last edited by r2xj; 08-07-14 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention AWD
Old 08-07-14, 10:24 AM
kgehring
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I average about 25mpg in normal mode, 75% of that on the expressway around 70mph.

After you've completed your break in period and more - 5k miles plus then I'd start worrying about it.

Not sure where you live, but also winter gas has an effect on my mpg here in Illinois. Obviously we're out of that I'm doing better now.
Old 08-07-14, 11:11 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my AWD for about 4 months now and I'm also getting crap mileage. I would be fine getting 22 mpg but I average closer to 17-18 when I'm on NOT driving aggressively.

I've realized two things about my own commute that I hadn't noticed before:
- While I thought I was doing about 50/50 city vs hwy driving based on distance, a lot of my highway miles are spent sitting in rush hour traffic. FML
- There are a lot of hills on my area which eats away at your milage.
Old 08-07-14, 11:48 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksun
- There are a lot of hills on my area which eats away at your milage.
Are you always going uphill? Much like our parents when they walked to school uphill both directions in the snow, without shoes.
Old 08-07-14, 12:49 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you shouldn't have gotten AWD, my RWD just averaged 23.3 mpg with 400 miles on it with 65% highway (I'd say) and fairly aggressive driving
Old 08-07-14, 01:42 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

AWD and RWD shouldn't differ by too much, maybe 1 or 2MPG. There are a lot of factors though when it comes to gas mileage. I live in Chicago and traffic is often congested. Still I didn't buy a GS350 to save on gas. With the winters we have here, I'd take AWD any day of the year. We've also had some crazy rain storms this year and I'm glad I have AWD.
Old 08-07-14, 01:51 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Are you always going uphill? Much like our parents when they walked to school uphill both directions in the snow, without shoes.
In theory yes, but in practice it doesn't work out that way. Its not like its straight up to work and back down the hill to get home. The whole drive its up/down/up/down/up/down, you have to think ahead and purposely drive in a way to take advantage of the declines. I've found its a lot of thinking to do when I really just want to get my @ss to home/work. LOL!

BTW, cruise cruse control won't help either. When you set it, the car will slow down automatically on declines to maintain the set speed. That works against you taking full advantage of your car's momentum and gravity.

Maybe new wheels and some aero mods will help!!!
Old 08-07-14, 03:16 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

It's also important to note that the 3.5 V6 we are running is a 9 year old design, and while it was top of it's game nearly a decade ago, it's currently outclassed by the competition. It's the only aspect of my GS i'm not crazy about, and it's the sole reason I decided to lease my 2014 GS F-Sport. Hoping there will be an engine refresh by the time my lease is up, then I'll be in for the buy!

Quick Reply: Terrible gas mileage on GS350 AWD F-Sport