GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Was anyone deciding between a7 and GS350? and any known problems with the new GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 10:39 AM
kgehring
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shopped both the A7 and GS and landed on the GS. Loved the look of the A7, but just way too many nightmare stories about Audi's electrical problems through the decades, and when I asked my mechanic about which to go with he basically said "don't bring it here", so that made my decision easy.
Old 08-07-14, 05:42 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kgehring
I shopped both the A7 and GS and landed on the GS. Loved the look of the A7, but just way too many nightmare stories about Audi's electrical problems through the decades, and when I asked my mechanic about which to go with he basically said "don't bring it here", so that made my decision easy.
Let me get this straight. Your mechanic wants you to only bring him cars that don't have problems? I'd be shopping for a new mechanic. He doesn't have much confidence in his ability to fix problems.
Old 08-07-14, 07:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll give you an unbiased opinion because I owned an '09 Audi A5, '10 S5 Cab and '11 S5 Cab prior to trading for my GS. I just needed more utility.

Although the longest I kept my Audis was for 10k miles, I had no issues at all. The V6 Supercharged engine in my S5's was stellar. That is the same engine in the A7. I do think Audi's reliability has gotten much better.

So, when the time came to trade my last S5 Cab I considered the A6, A7 and GS. The A6 just looks bland to me. The A7, as everyone has acknowledged, is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. However, even with no reliability issues I read on the forums that the Bose sound system is horrible, more in the A7 than the A6 because of the cavernous hatchback. To upgrade to Bang & Olufson costs over $6000 (just to get a decent sound system). I also read about strange sounds coming from the back (again, likely from the big hatchback.) There have also been consistent complaints about the seats (too flat, too short). And, like others have mentioned, I just wasn't blown away by the interior. The materials and fit/finish, yes. The design, no.

The GS isn't even close in exterior appearance but it is no slouch. The engine may not be as fast off the mark as the A7, but it can still get up and go with a great "growl". The interior design in the GS wins for me, hands down. Also, I can enjoy great sound from the Mark Levinson system without having to pay an additional $6k. Lastly, I've had my GS for 28 months and 17,500 with no issues and it is still like new.

The one last consideration if you use nav, etc. frequently is whether the MMI (wheel) system in the Audi is preferable to the Mouse sytem in the Lexus. I found the MMI system more intuitive, but of course the Lexus screen is much bigger.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can't go wrong with either, but do your research on the Audi Forums as well as here.
Old 08-08-14, 03:22 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My own $.02, the F Sport version of this car looks as good if not better than the A7. It grows on you over time and you like it even more. The back I've come to really like now.

I also had a '11 Audi, fuel tank problems that caused me to run out of fuel early. Lemon lawed it and they acknowledged it was a design flaw. I'll never buy another Audi again. It's not luxury, it's just sporty. And my GS with rear steer, it will out handle that Audi every day.
Old 08-08-14, 07:10 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A7 barely beat (barely) the GS350 F Sport in the comparo test by Motor Trend. they are 2 totally diff cars BTW... i didn't think it was fair to compare the F sport to an A7, but the Lexus did very well. the A7 is sexy as hell though. i would still choose Lexus.
Old 08-08-14, 08:26 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'll give you an unbiased opinion because I owned an '09 Audi A5, '10 S5 Cab and '11 S5 Cab prior to trading for my GS. I just needed more utility.

Although the longest I kept my Audis was for 10k miles, I had no issues at all. The V6 Supercharged engine in my S5's was stellar. That is the same engine in the A7. I do think Audi's reliability has gotten much better.

So, when the time came to trade my last S5 Cab I considered the A6, A7 and GS. The A6 just looks bland to me. The A7, as everyone has acknowledged, is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. However, even with no reliability issues I read on the forums that the Bose sound system is horrible, more in the A7 than the A6 because of the cavernous hatchback. To upgrade to Bang & Olufson costs over $6000 (just to get a decent sound system). I also read about strange sounds coming from the back (again, likely from the big hatchback.) There have also been consistent complaints about the seats (too flat, too short). And, like others have mentioned, I just wasn't blown away by the interior. The materials and fit/finish, yes. The design, no.

The GS isn't even close in exterior appearance but it is no slouch. The engine may not be as fast off the mark as the A7, but it can still get up and go with a great "growl". The interior design in the GS wins for me, hands down. Also, I can enjoy great sound from the Mark Levinson system without having to pay an additional $6k. Lastly, I've had my GS for 28 months and 17,500 with no issues and it is still like new.

The one last consideration if you use nav, etc. frequently is whether the MMI (wheel) system in the Audi is preferable to the Mouse sytem in the Lexus. I found the MMI system more intuitive, but of course the Lexus screen is much bigger.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can't go wrong with either, but do your research on the Audi Forums as well as here.
10,000 miles is an oil change interval - definitely not enough time to track reliability!
Old 08-08-14, 08:38 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2

Like GregCanada said, 10k miles is an oil change. You really don't have the experience to comment on the long term reliability of the car. I'm basing my comments on my mechanic, Consumer Reports, and JD Power, all of which have dealt with cars that are more than a year old.

krava - Going to the Audi forums and trolling there would be a great idea. You should throw the same questions at them as you've posted here:
A6 vs GS
Good price on used A? (instead of GS obviously)
Credit options with Audi (instead of Lexus)
A7 vs GS

Last edited by Christobol; 08-08-14 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 05:59 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
Like GregCanada said, 10k miles is an oil change. You really don't have the experience to comment on the long term reliability of the car. I'm basing my comments on my mechanic, Consumer Reports, and JD Power, all of which have dealt with cars that are more than a year old.

krava - Going to the Audi forums and trolling there would be a great idea. You should throw the same questions at them as you've posted here:
A6 vs GS
Good price on used A? (instead of GS obviously)
Credit options with Audi (instead of Lexus)
A7 vs GS
That's the reason I mentioned I only kept them for 10000 miles, but I can certainly comment on initial reliability.
Old 08-08-14, 06:06 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
... i didn't think it was fair to compare the F sport to an A7, but the Lexus did very well. the A7
It's not fair? If it's not, compare it to an A6, which is virtually the same thing as an A7 minus the ugly *** isn't it?
Old 08-08-14, 06:24 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
It's not fair? If it's not, compare it to an A6, which is virtually the same thing as an A7 minus the ugly *** isn't it?
Minus another 25k too... 50% more is significant

dseag2 - you're right, you know a lot about initial quality
Old 08-08-14, 08:21 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gave up on the a7 after seeing horror stories on the audi page