GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My first week in a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 10:10 AM
RLtoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My first week in a Lexus

After 10 years driving Acura's, I decided it was time to move on. Solid cars but nothing new to look forward to (except maybe the new TLX). I've been stocking this forum for sometime and trolling the web for a good used GS350. Finally found a great deal on a RWD black/black Luxury and took the plunge last week. I would have liked to have AWD coming from the RL but would have to fly back mid-west/east coast to purchase one.

Quick first impressions vs my 2005 RL:

Drive: Advantage GS - Quicker and Sportier than RL (as it should be)
Navi: Advantage RL - No comprehensive voice command in GS (very disappointing)
Tech ease of use: Advantage RL - Lexus could take some lessons from other systems
Cabin Interior: Advantage GS - more luxurious fit and feel although it feels smaller than RL
MPG: Too soon to tell but looks to be the same around town
Boot space: Advantage GS
Key Fob: Advantage RL - Seriously could Lexus have made it any bigger?
Overall: I'm lovin' the GS. No regrets. Love the rear seat controls as it gives a more luxury look and feel.

Did lots of online shopping. Fsport most common model on west coast. Hard to find Luxury package. Mid-west to East coast had lots of AWD with Lux and other options. With the Lux package it's close enough to the Fsport and has more features.

Already tee'd up adding the PS system for DVD, LED fogs and Aluminum pedals. Not sure if I like the upper Fsport grill but need more time to look at it.

Great forum here. Appreciate all the how-to's and input. Will hang out here more.
Old 08-05-14, 11:40 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked out the RLX before buying the GS and wasn't impressed by the "Germanesque" way I had to get beyond the base model to get such basic luxury items as leather and memory seats. The GS was nicer, better looking and a much better value. Congrats on the GS - I've had mine for five months and still get a kick out of it very time I drive it!
Old 08-05-14, 11:40 AM
GBFSport
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious about the comparison comments on the tech ease of use, can you be more specific? Not been in an Acura so very interested,

Good driving!
Old 08-05-14, 01:47 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GBFSport
Curious about the comparison comments on the tech ease of use, can you be more specific? Not been in an Acura so very interested,

Good driving!
I think it's more of what he's used to personally. As someone who's spent a decent amount of time in Acura's as well as Lexus vehicles, I can't say I agree with his assessment. They're different, but both are very intuitive IMO. I think it's really more of a "training" issue than one manufacturer needing to learn anything from another. There are things Lexus could learn, like refreshing their engine line up so it's not lagging so far behind the Germans in power output. Acura needs to learn how to make a vehicle that doesn't look boring as hell.
Old 08-05-14, 06:46 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations on your GS! I had an '05 RL for about 8 months that I traded in for an '06 Infiniti M45. The only thing I missed about the RL was how quiet it was, with very little road noise. Aside from that, never looked back. The GS is by far the best all-around car I've ever owned. I'm sure you will be quite happy.
Old 08-05-14, 06:54 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Very nice.

Good to see your enjoying the GS.
Old 08-05-14, 08:27 PM
RLtoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramon
I think it's more of what he's used to personally. As someone who's spent a decent amount of time in Acura's as well as Lexus vehicles, I can't say I agree with his assessment. They're different, but both are very intuitive IMO. I think it's really more of a "training" issue than one manufacturer needing to learn anything from another. There are things Lexus could learn, like refreshing their engine line up so it's not lagging so far behind the Germans in power output. Acura needs to learn how to make a vehicle that doesn't look boring as hell.
The ease of use difference is more than a training issue and not really an issue of being intuitive. Without Voice Command the GS system is hampered by the necessity of using the largely criticized "mouse". I rent a lot of cars and have experience with many of the tech systems out there and even compared to those, it's lacking (IMHO).

Nothing that anyone can't adjust to but certainly an average system in the car world. Things like the tuner **** not being conveniently placed (always need to reach to access it) and it's the only way to scroll channels on any source (only presets are accessed by mouse or steering wheel). Again, just some nuances that are noticeable coming from the Acura.
Old 08-05-14, 09:08 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Boot space: Advantage GS
Fair assessment here, but what the hell is a boot? Are you British?
Old 08-05-14, 09:51 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RLtoGS350
The ease of use difference is more than a training issue and not really an issue of being intuitive. Without Voice Command the GS system is hampered by the necessity of using the largely criticized "mouse". I rent a lot of cars and have experience with many of the tech systems out there and even compared to those, it's lacking (IMHO).

Nothing that anyone can't adjust to but certainly an average system in the car world. Things like the tuner **** not being conveniently placed (always need to reach to access it) and it's the only way to scroll channels on any source (only presets are accessed by mouse or steering wheel). Again, just some nuances that are noticeable coming from the Acura.
If you were referring to the voice commands, yes I'd agree. I thought you meant the system as a whole, navigating, through menus, etc. Either way, glad you're enjoying your new ride overall.
Old 08-05-14, 10:40 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Fair assessment here, but what the hell is a boot? Are you British?
The boot is the trunk.
Old 08-06-14, 11:29 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Boot=shoes in England so that would equate to leg room
Boot space=leg room
I was being sarcastic, I know it's what Brits call a trunk, but now you've referred to it as leg room. For the record it's the rear trunk, and the hood (as we know it) is called a bonnet, like the little hats you put on babies.