GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TRS LED Fog Light Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-14, 04:58 PM
BailsVT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TRS LED Fog Light Install

I went to Atlanta a few weeks ago. While I was down there I stopped by TRS and picked up a set of their new LED fog lights. I met Matt and got to check out his GS, which looks even better in person. I used mso4's detailed instructions to do the install so I will only point out what I did differently. Here are all of the parts you need to do the install.

Tools: phillips and flat head screwdriver, 10 and 12mm sockets and ratchet, wire grabber, wire cutters/strippers, wire crimpers, and a utility knife.

The lights are high quality and come with H11 plugs that snap onto the wires on the lights. Use needle nose pliers to pull the wires from the inside of the plug once you get them started by hand. This will make it easier to get them to snap into place. The lights are also adjustable and have the same mounting points as OEM.

Installing the lights wasn't bad, and it only took about 4 hrs. As ms04 noted, the hardest part is tapping into the parking light wire under the dash. Here are some pictures from the install.

Relay mounted and wired

Battery connection

Passenger side plug

Instead of running the wiring for the driver side along the bottom of the bumper, I ran it across the top of the metal bumper and zip tied it to the parking sensor wires. You have to remove the panel pictured below to get the wires through the opening.

Fog light harness

When I installed the first light I thought no way this will fit, it's too big. Make sure the top inner tab on the light is inserted into the cutout in the bumper. After you do this the light will fit like a glove.

Light installed

Light w/ Bezel

Switch wire (hidden)

You have to cut or puncture the grommet to run the switch wire into the car. If you look under the dash you will see a small hole in the grommet that sits above the wires off to the right. Put a phillips screw driver that is slightly larger than the hole into the hole in the grommet, and push until it stops. There will be a protrusion on the grommet when you look at it from under the hood. Cut an x on the end of it with a utility knife. Remove the screw driver from the hole and force the wire grabber through the hole into into the engine bay.

Switch wiring

Switch

Install done

The lights are really bright and make there presence known when driving at night. I will post pics with the headlights on and of the cut-off next week after i adjust them.

Last edited by BailsVT; 07-14-14 at 07:03 PM. Reason: to fix picture links
Old 07-13-14, 07:00 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Is it me or are there no pics showing!
Old 07-13-14, 07:27 PM
BailsVT
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Is it me or are there no pics showing!
If you right click the pic link and open it in a new tab it will open, I don't know why they didn't embed in the post. I'll try to fix them tomorrow. Anyone else had this problem using pics from google drive?
Old 07-14-14, 06:42 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice find, these look plug and play for models that come with OEM fog's. Definitely putting a set on my wish list.
Old 07-14-14, 07:20 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by BailsVT
If you right click the pic link and open it in a new tab it will open, I don't know why they didn't embed in the post. I'll try to fix them tomorrow. Anyone else had this problem using pics from google drive?
That's most likely cause it's a secured site, try using Photobucket.
Old 07-14-14, 07:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by BailsVT
Thanks that worked, they look good.
Old 07-14-14, 08:05 AM
BailsVT
Rookie

Pictures are fixed courtesy of life hacker. Here is the article that tells you how to embed photos from google drive: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/02...-google-drive/
Old 07-14-14, 01:22 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

how's this compare to the OEM LED from sewell?
Old 07-14-14, 01:36 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Clean install looks great!!
Old 07-14-14, 01:51 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Whats the cost on the kit? Looks pretty good!
Old 07-14-14, 02:06 PM
wickedap1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! Very clean install.
Old 08-03-14, 03:37 PM
BailsVT
Rookie

Originally Posted by GregCanada
Nice find, these look plug and play for models that come with OEM fog's. Definitely putting a set on my wish list.
They are plug and play for OEM and would be a quick and easy upgrade.

Originally Posted by TRSMatt
Looks great man! thanks for taking the time to do this write up. I actually got a PM from Greg today about the Fog Lights - and depending on how many people may be interested we can probably get a group buy discount on them for everybody. They are indeed a perfect fit for the 4G GS, are essentially the same thing as the OEM LED Fog Light option thats now available on the 14+ model years, just for about $400 less!
No prob man.

Originally Posted by sam430
how's this compare to the OEM LED from sewell?
I prefer these over the OEM LED. The light comes out of the entire lens and is focused using optics that are within the housing, vs the OEM lights that have a rectangular opening that light light comes out of.

Originally Posted by mso4
Clean install looks great!!
Thanks, good instructions made the install easy.

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Whats the cost on the kit? Looks pretty good!
Thanks. The lights came from TRS ($175) then the rest of it was pieced together. The harness, bezels, and misc parts costs about $130.

Originally Posted by wickedap1
Looks good! Very clean install.
Thanks

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-21-14 at 01:03 PM. Reason: fix quote