GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS 350 vs IS 350 F SPORTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 04:02 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BMW's & Mercedes I've owned, I got to know the Service Dept. much better than I ever wanted. These higher end car dealers come in all varieties, from friendly to arrogant. What I like about the Lexus experience is the only time I've seen the Service Manager is when I was introduced to him right after purchase.
Old 07-30-14, 04:40 AM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
I think this varies from dealership to dealership. There are two very large BMW dealers within 10 miles of my house.

One of them has sales guys walking towards your car as you're parking (Irvine BMW). They have always let me really get on a car, and the sales guy took the M3 up to 100 on side business district streets and seemed more than comfortable with me doing the same.

The other dealership (Crevier BMW), you have to spend 5 minutes trying to find someone that is free. If you want a new car sales guy, you'll find someone within 5 min. If you're looking at used it could be much longer. Then I found that their sales people didn't know much about the cars I was test driving.

MB had one guy walk up to me within a minute (and that seemed appropriate.

Long Lexus had someone approaching me as I got out of my SC. A few days earlier I called for pricing and was told they don't give out pricing on the phone, but as the largest volume dealer in the area they would beat anyone else. When I showed up I just talked to the guy who walked up to me, and avoided talking to the guy I spoke with on the phone. He laughed at me when I told him how much I wanted to pay for a 14 GS F Sport, 51.5, and said it was impossible to buy one that cheap and the best i could do is 54.5. Three other dealers had already said they would sell for 52.5 or less (Crown, Newport, Carlsbad - where I bought my car). He basically walked away from me like I was the plague and said he wouldn't even waste his time talking to his sales managers.

So rudeness doesn't seem to be by brand rather than the owner of the dealership. Oh and Audi has always treated me well, as has Acura.
I definitely agree - it is just surprising that many people had similar experiences at different BMW dealerships. I don't want to presume anything - but hypothetically speaking, could BMW corporate have a training program or a policy that perhaps inadvertently causes multiple dealerships to work this way? Just think it is an interesting pattern.
Old 07-30-14, 05:46 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
I definitely agree - it is just surprising that many people had similar experiences at different BMW dealerships. I don't want to presume anything - but hypothetically speaking, could BMW corporate have a training program or a policy that perhaps inadvertently causes multiple dealerships to work this way? Just think it is an interesting pattern.
My theory to this problem with BMW dealerships being arrogant and unwilling to most customers is that....
most businessmen and CEOs and high rollers wont even bother hagglimg for the price of the car, they have so much money that that purchase is like spare change to them. And they dont want to waste time trying to get a deal because to them time is money. The time they use to haggle a good deal at bmw they could be earning 10's of thousands more with there time at work. So these bmw dealers a spoiled and would rather wait for that CEO than service the average joe and deal with us. At least thats my theory.
Old 07-31-14, 03:43 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded my 3IS F Sport for a 4GS F Sport. I have no regrets one bit. I average 70 miles a day and it is much enjoyable now. The only thing I miss about the 3IS is the LFA style gauge.
Old 08-03-14, 09:37 AM
AllBlakGSF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
My theory to this problem with BMW dealerships being arrogant and unwilling to most customers is that....
most businessmen and CEOs and high rollers wont even bother hagglimg for the price of the car, they have so much money that that purchase is like spare change to them. And they dont want to waste time trying to get a deal because to them time is money. The time they use to haggle a good deal at bmw they could be earning 10's of thousands more with there time at work. So these bmw dealers a spoiled and would rather wait for that CEO than service the average joe and deal with us. At least thats my theory.
That's far from truth at least in ny. A lot of people driving BMW's are far from wealthy. Bmw is the best leasing company to lease from due to their crazy money factors and residuals.
Old 08-03-14, 10:08 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Size is a big one fore me.is is too small
Old 08-03-14, 04:12 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
Size is a big one fore me.is is too small
Same here, I have two babies and I'm 6' so I need something that can fit the child seats in the back and the double stroller in the trunk. I really could use a suburban but no thanks lol
Old 08-03-14, 04:28 PM
ramcanall
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Owned both

Originally Posted by symple84
I am cross shopping the IS and GS........

Besides a large car, why should I splurge and get the GS over the IS? I plan on leasing the car for 27 months either way. Anyone else make this decision as well?
I owned the IS350 fsport for about a month before trading in for the gs fsport. The IS was a blast to drive and more nimble IMO. But, other than being nimble the IS loses to the GS in every other regard. It was too small for me (I'm 6'3" and 220lbs) and the interior quality in the IS was downmarket from the GS. Also, there are numerous features that the gs has that the IS didn't (12.3" screen, ventilated seats, more adjustable drivers seat, etc)
Old 08-03-14, 11:11 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ramcanall
I owned the IS350 fsport for about a month before trading in for the gs fsport. The IS was a blast to drive and more nimble IMO. But, other than being nimble the IS loses to the GS in every other regard. It was too small for me (I'm 6'3" and 220lbs) and the interior quality in the IS was downmarket from the GS. Also, there are numerous features that the gs has that the IS didn't (12.3" screen, ventilated seats, more adjustable drivers seat, etc)
Speaking of missing features, you can't even get leather on the IS can you? I think it's NuLuxe or nothing right?
Old 08-03-14, 11:15 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Speaking of missing features, you can't even get leather on the IS can you? I think it's NuLuxe or nothing right?
On the IS F-Sport leather is not available. I *think* it is on the Luxury model.
Old 08-04-14, 07:04 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Yes, leather is available on the IS, just not the F Sport.
Old 08-05-14, 09:45 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, leather is available on the IS, just not the F Sport.
That just seems like an odd omission to me. Here's the sports model, enjoy your vinyl. Is this 1967? LOL.
Old 08-05-14, 09:52 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That just seems like an odd omission to me. Here's the sports model, enjoy your vinyl. Is this 1967? LOL.
It doesn't stop with leather unfortunately. Several options omitted from the 3IS F-Sport. Those omissions are what gravitated me towards the GS
Old 08-05-14, 10:45 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramon
It doesn't stop with leather unfortunately. Several options omitted from the 3IS F-Sport. Those omissions are what gravitated me towards the GS
Same here. Very happy about that in retrospect, though. When I realized for the most part that the 4GS F Sport had most of the options of the 3IS F Sport AND the 3IS Lux package, I was pretty much sold.
Old 08-06-14, 06:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It is an odd omission, which goes along with several other items that are omitted from the IS F Sport, which is why I passed on the F Sport package.

However, mine does have the NuLuxe, and now having owned both leather and NuLuxe, in the future I will choose NuLuxe every time the choice is there. It has surprised me, but I now prefer it over leather.

Quick Reply: GS 350 vs IS 350 F SPORTS