GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car hit while parked at DFW airport

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 09:17 AM
mdinh81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car hit while parked at DFW airport

So my GS got hit while I was parked for 4 days at DFW airport. When I came back to the car, I noticed the damage below. This is a picture of how my car was parked and how it got hit. Anyone know how much this should run to get repaired. I will probably have to do it out of pocket. Also, any recommendation on where to go?

Michael
Attached Thumbnails Car hit while parked at DFW airport-photo2.jpg   Car hit while parked at DFW airport-photo.jpg  
Old 07-24-14, 09:22 AM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh man, that sucks. The garage doesn't have any security cameras so you could catch whoever did this?
Old 07-24-14, 09:30 AM
mdinh81
Driver School Candidate

To my knowledge no it doesn't. I was really tired from my travels and didn't want to deal with it that late at night.
Old 07-24-14, 09:37 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

It depends on your deductible but that looks like more than 1K so if you have $500 Deductible insurance should cover it, and that Sucks!!! that would have made me even more pissed after coming off a plane.
Old 07-24-14, 10:14 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Michael,
I had the rear end of my '13 GS350 hit when I was parked at the Kimball Art Museum parking lot in Ft. Worth. Caliber Collision (locations in Ft. Worth and Colleyville) repaired mine. The took the whole rear bumper assembly off, repaired all the dents and scratches, repainted it, clear-coated it, and put it all back together. They did an outstanding job and I would highly recommend them. I used the Colleyville location. The total cost was $857 and with my $500 deductible it cost $500 out of pocket. My car is silver and you'd never know it had ever been repaired. It's really getting dangerous to park in the DFW area. My wife's BMW was also hit in a parking lot recently and Caliber Collision fixed that one too. Did an excellent job.

Last edited by rjm; 07-24-14 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 10:35 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

So from the looks of that, someone either clipped you pulling into the spot, or as they were backing out, and cut it too hard.

I would be livid.
Old 07-24-14, 11:06 AM
mdinh81
Driver School Candidate

I did get an estimate from Sewell Collision Center and they estimated it out to be $1758. I am torn if I should go through insurance because I had another hit and run about 2 years ago in a different city. I have a $500 deductible and don't really want my rate going up. Just wanted to get your opinion if you think it should be cheaper at another shop or if I should go through insurance.

Yeah, I think they probably clipped it backing up. Turned too early instead going straight back out. The side panel and the back door is the worst spot you can get hit.
Old 07-24-14, 11:53 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdinh81
I did get an estimate from Sewell Collision Center and they estimated it out to be $1758. I am torn if I should go through insurance because I had another hit and run about 2 years ago in a different city. I have a $500 deductible and don't really want my rate going up. Just wanted to get your opinion if you think it should be cheaper at another shop or if I should go through insurance.

Yeah, I think they probably clipped it backing up. Turned too early instead going straight back out. The side panel and the back door is the worst spot you can get hit.
If I weren't at fault, I'd go through insurance. Your agent should be able to tell you if your rates will be affected.
Old 07-24-14, 11:56 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

I am torn if I should go through insurance because I had another hit and run about 2 years ago in a different city. I have a $500 deductible and don't really want my rate going up. Just wanted to get your opinion if you think it should be cheaper at another shop or if I should go through insurance.
Sewell will probably be the highest estimate you will get. They are expensive. A "hit and run" shouldn't count against your insurance record or raise the premiums. Hit and runs are considered no-fault accidents, and in my USAA policy the hit and run deductible is significantly higher than the collision deductible. Have it classified as a hit and run and you may be surprised how little you will have to pay
Old 07-24-14, 12:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Count me in with the "just use insurance" folks. It should not impact your rates. A call to your agent should clarify this.

Originally Posted by rjm
The total cost was $857 and with my $500 deductible it turned out to cost $357 out of pocket.
I think you wrote that backwards. Deductible is the portion you are responsible for. So if your repair was $857 and you had a $500 deductible, you paid $500 out of pocket and the insurance paid $357.

Last edited by JDR76; 07-24-14 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 12:26 PM
BRJACKET
Driver School Candidate

Since you were hit (basically a hit and run) and no fault is yours, your insurance company should only charge you the deductible and it should not count against you. At least that is how my insurance company handled it when I had a similar experience several years ago. Definitely call your agent.

Of course if you can find the person who did it (if there is any security footage) then you shouldn't have to pay anything.
Old 07-24-14, 12:48 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76

I think you wrote that backwards. Deductible is the portion you are responsible for. So if your repair was $857 and you had a $500 deductible, you paid $500 out of pocket and the insurance paid $357.

Thanks JDR. You're right. I had it backwards. My out of pocket was $500 with no penalty against my policy.
Old 07-24-14, 12:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
Thanks JDR. You're right. I had it backwards. My out of pocket was $500 with no penalty against my policy.
And $500 is well worth it to get your car back to excellent condition!
Old 07-24-14, 01:11 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta get multiple estimates. You live in a huge metro area. I am sure there are multiple quality shops that will be able to get you back as close to OE as possible. However, involving insurance may drive that decision. They may try to push you in a direction which favors them. Don't let them do it. Quality work is what you want and expect. Good luck!
Old 07-24-14, 08:09 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BRJACKET
Since you were hit (basically a hit and run) and no fault is yours, your insurance company should only charge you the deductible and it should not count against you. At least that is how my insurance company handled it when I had a similar experience several years ago. Definitely call your agent.

Of course if you can find the person who did it (if there is any security footage) then you shouldn't have to pay anything.
In Pennsylvania, in order to be categorized as "hit and run" by insurance, you need a police report stating it since a crime occured.

Quick Reply: Car hit while parked at DFW airport