14 GS Cabin Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 07:41 AM
crespo0542
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 GS Cabin Noise

Hi All,

Just picked up my 14 GS 350 AWD F Sport on Monday. It is a nice car. Love how it rolls!!

Some noise issues here, not sure if anyone has dealt these with. Any feedback would be appreciated.

1. High pitch sound while driving above 30 MPH. I have no idea where it comes from, but it is a high pitch sound that is around my right side, especially noticeable between 30MPH to 50 MPH. I've searched this, and did not find anything for 4GS.

2. Noise from the driver left side AC. I believe this would be the blower motor noise.

3. Wind noise. I've read a lot of threads about the wind noise, thinking it was primarily for a 13 model, and thought it was fixed in the 14 model. What is the official remedy for this?

4. Brake noise. Loud sound when releasing the brake, I've seen this issue with other cars, and with another GS that I test drove. Not sure if this is normal

I am taking my car into the dealership for 3M film anyway tomorrow, and I'll bring all those up, just want to be prepared when I talk to the tech.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-14, 08:25 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I do not have any cabin noise except the slight brake squeaks when in the parking lot. It only squeaks at low speed, like when parking the car.
Old 07-23-14, 08:26 AM
GBFSport
Rookie

I took delivery of my 14 GS 350 AWD F Sport two weeks ago and yes its the best car I have ever had.

However I don't hear any of the noises that you mention so probably good idea to highlight them to your dealer.
Old 07-23-14, 09:09 AM
5thavenue
Rookie

Originally Posted by crespo0542
3. Wind noise. I've read a lot of threads about the wind noise, thinking it was primarily for a 13 model, and thought it was fixed in the 14 model. What is the official remedy for this?
Thanks!
What kind of wind noise is it?
Like high pitched where the car doesn't have a good seal or just general whooshing sound of wind going over the car?

My 2014 GS Luxury is quieter than my previous Camry and our current Sienna but it isn't drastically quieter. I still get a lot of road noise and wind noise when I'm driving at higher speeds. I had expected the car to be much quieter based on some of the things I've heard people say and during the car reviews but I still feel like it isn't too quiet.

I recently drove a 2013 GS Premium loaner and though I wasn't specifically listening for the ambient sounds, I didn't notice that it was any quieter than my current GS.
Old 07-23-14, 09:37 AM
crespo0542
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5thavenue
What kind of wind noise is it?
Like high pitched where the car doesn't have a good seal or just general whooshing sound of wind going over the car?

My 2014 GS Luxury is quieter than my previous Camry and our current Sienna but it isn't drastically quieter. I still get a lot of road noise and wind noise when I'm driving at higher speeds. I had expected the car to be much quieter based on some of the things I've heard people say and during the car reviews but I still feel like it isn't too quiet.

I recently drove a 2013 GS Premium loaner and though I wasn't specifically listening for the ambient sounds, I didn't notice that it was any quieter than my current GS.
The wind noise feels like that the door is not sealed, it is from the driver side dooor. It happens when the speed is over 40 MPH.
Old 07-23-14, 10:07 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is quieter at speeds above 70MPH than my 2011 Camry. I can hear a lot more wind noise when I go over 70 in the Camry. I think the in-channel window visors messed up my Camry's window seals cause I noticed the noise right after I removed them.
Old 07-23-14, 08:15 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had my '13 GS F Sport since April 2012 and don't have the noises you've described. I have some degree of road noise on concrete surfaces and there is slight wind noise on the highway with the sunroof cover open. When it is closed there is nothing. Nice, tight and quiet.
Old 07-23-14, 09:19 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Hey speaking of sunroof cover, does ur guys sunroof cover open by itself after driving for a while? Just a little bit.

Mine, goes from this:

To this:

It slides open a little after driving for a while. I guess it's because of the bumpy road and stop and go.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 07-24-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 05:41 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crespo0542

My 13GS has a very high level of wind/road noise at highway speeds, primarily from the right side. My SA told me there was no official fix for this but suggested I remove the thin protective film off the right rearview mirror. I haven't tried it yet because I've read mixed reviews on this "fix". I was hoping that issue would be fixed on the 14GS.
Old 07-24-14, 11:18 AM
mshmsh
Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Hey speaking of sunroof cover, does ur guys sunroof cover open by itself after driving for a while? Just a little bit.

Mine, goes from this:

To this:

It slides open a little after driving for a while. I guess it's because of the bumpy road and stop and go.
LOL same issue here too! I found out also it's so slick and sometimes it's slides by itself when I accelerate fast. Had an RX loaner and it was so hard to slide so I might let the dealer know when I take my car for the recall.
Old 07-24-14, 11:46 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mshmsh
LOL same issue here too! I found out also it's so slick and sometimes it's slides by itself when I accelerate fast. Had an RX loaner and it was so hard to slide so I might let the dealer know when I take my car for the recall.
Let me know how it goes! My cheap camry never had this problem.
Old 07-25-14, 12:27 AM
DLKC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mshmsh

I have the same issue, told the Service Consultant during servicing, checked and said taping felt may work. He noticed it in one other vehicle. Once I reached home, I cut a strip of felt, removed the sticker and attached onto the area where the cover closes. It was at most a ten minute job, the friction between the slide and felt tape works. No more slippage.
Old 07-27-14, 05:06 PM
Heatboy05
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Hey Crespo - Does the noise happen when you are pressing on the gas? i.e. makes it when your foot is on the gas but stops when you release. I have a 2013 and that's what is happening in my car. Kind of driving me nuts. I did mention to the dealer for my 10K service but they said they didn't hear anything (of course). I think i'm going to bring it in and have them drive in the car with me.

Would be interested to hear out you made out.

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-28-14, 05:11 AM
crespo0542
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Heatboy05
Hey Crespo - Does the noise happen when you are pressing on the gas? i.e. makes it when your foot is on the gas but stops when you release. I have a 2013 and that's what is happening in my car. Kind of driving me nuts. I did mention to the dealer for my 10K service but they said they didn't hear anything (of course). I think i'm going to bring it in and have them drive in the car with me.

Would be interested to hear out you made out.

Thanks a lot.
Yes, the first noise that I mentioned is exactly what you described here.

I test drove my car with a service writer, a tech and the service manager, they heard the 2,3,4 noises that I mentioned, but thought them all normal. For the 1st one, they didn't here anything.

I test drove another 14 GS F sport that day, heard all 2,3,4 noises, so I took it in as normal, but asked them to follow up with Lexus.
Old 07-28-14, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
My 13GS has a very high level of wind/road noise at highway speeds, primarily from the right side. My SA told me there was no official fix for this but suggested I remove the thin protective film off the right rearview mirror. I haven't tried it yet because I've read mixed reviews on this "fix". I was hoping that issue would be fixed on the 14GS.
I would say with 95% confidence its the protective film on your mirrors. The issue is not with the car, theres no issue to fix, its with how your paint protection film was applied. I have PPF on my mirrors and have no noise.

Quick Reply: 14 GS Cabin Noise