GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Siri Eyes Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 03:28 PM
tpjc1018
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Siri Eyes Tutorial

Can someone explain how Siri Eyes works & the benefits of having it? I'm debating a 13 vs a 14. Thanks
Old 07-16-14, 04:08 PM
georgee01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpjc1018
Can someone explain how Siri Eyes works & the benefits of having it? I'm debating a 13 vs a 14. Thanks
Siri Eyes Free operates strictly via voice command (display is off) and allows you to access the mobile assistant on a connected iPhone. To use Siri, you press and hold the "off hook" phone button on the steering wheel (see picture).

You can do a number of useful things:

1) Send and Receive messages (the vehicle system cannot send with an iPhone)
2) Read and Reply to email
3) Get directions via Apple Maps
4) Select and Play music (more options to find songs)
5) Place calls from the contacts stored on the phone (this is important if you have stored dialing sequences for voicemail or conference calls since these will not transfer to the vehicle system)
6) Get your schedule and create appointments
7) Create reminders
8) Most other Siri commands that do not require display interaction.
Attached Thumbnails Siri Eyes Tutorial-siri-button.jpg  
Old 07-16-14, 04:41 PM
tpjc1018
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by georgee01
Siri Eyes Free operates strictly via voice command (display is off) and allows you to access the mobile assistant on a connected iPhone. To use Siri, you press and hold the "off hook" phone button on the steering wheel (see picture).

You can do a number of useful things:

1) Send and Receive messages (the vehicle system cannot send with an iPhone)
2) Read and Reply to email
3) Get directions via Apple Maps
4) Select and Play music (more options to find songs)
5) Place calls from the contacts stored on the phone (this is important if you have stored dialing sequences for voicemail or conference calls since these will not transfer to the vehicle system)
6) Get your schedule and create appointments
7) Create reminders
8) Most other Siri commands that do not require display interaction.
I am confused as to how this is any different than Bluetooth? I guess other pressing the off hook, Siri comes through the Bluetooth on my 3GS.
Old 07-16-14, 06:43 PM
georgee01
Rookie

Originally Posted by tpjc1018
I am confused as to how this is any different than Bluetooth? I guess other pressing the off hook, Siri comes through the Bluetooth on my 3GS.
Siri does work reasonably well with a standard Bluetooth hands free device. I used it for over a year on my '06 MB. I would mount the iPhone on a vent within reach and press the button for Siri. The voice response would stream via Bluetooth audio and Siri would display responses and selections on the phone.

When the system is "aware" of Siri, functionality is improved. Probably not enough to run down to you local Lexus dealership and trade up, but here's a summary.

Siri Eyes Free modifies Siri responses that contain visual information or require user interaction. The display is off, and suitable audio feedback and voice commands are presented to the user. Examples of Siri Eyes Free supported use cases include asking Siri to call people, select and play music, hear and compose text messages, use Maps and get directions, read your notifications, find calendar information, add reminders, etc.

When the information returned is too complex to be converted to audio feedback, Siri will politely say, "I found that information, but I can't show it to you while you're driving."

A standard Bluetooth hands free system that does not support Siri protocol essentially treats the Siri session like a phone call. In my previous vehicle, the "call" would end with each command/response pair, and you would have to press the button again to continue. With the Lexus Siri integration, while a Siri session is active, the system lets the user continue the conversation and ask follow up questions within the current context.

Siri Eyes Free mode also improves voice recognition. During the Siri session, the microphone audio that the vehicle system sends to the iPhone is optimized for voice recognition rather than for human perception (such as during a cellular phone call).

_

Last edited by georgee01; 07-17-14 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-18-14, 06:25 PM
EP101
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How can we get Siri Eyes Free in GS 350 - 2013 model (software update, etc)???? Any information available?
Old 07-20-14, 10:09 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Apple and Lexus have a cost agreement for Siri Eyes Free beginning with 2014 models. Our 2013 can handle this with a software update but so far Lexus and Apple are not going backwards, only forward.. I checked since I have the 2013. Car Play will be an advancement to Sirii Eyes Free beginning with 2015 models and should be on the GS 2015.
Old 07-20-14, 05:24 PM
georgee01
Rookie

Originally Posted by JAM
Car Play will be an advancement to Sirii Eyes Free beginning with 2015 models and should be on the GS 2015.
From Toyotas official blog (UK)

Apple CarPlay: Toyota joins in-car iOS project
March 12th, 2014 by Will McManus
Apple’s CarPlay software could bring the iPhone experience to future Toyota models

UPDATE 13/3/14: A previous version of this article said Apple CarPlay would be in Toyota cars from 2015. This is incorrect and we are happy to put the matter straight. No announcements have been made about if and when Apple CarPlay will arrive in Toyota cars.

Dealer ordering for the 2015 GS should be activated this week, so we'll have official detail soon.
Old 07-21-14, 02:45 PM
georgee01
Rookie

Got to briefly sit in a pre-production NX300h this morning and confirmed that it does have the new Enform software and RTI w/touchpad. interface. So that makes two vehicles confirmed with the touchpad, the RC and the NX for 2015. There are images for both on the Lexus site under future vehicles.

No indication one way or the other on CarPlay from the Enform menus. Couldn't pair a phone to check Siri.

Looks like there is partial info on the 2015 GS being added to the dealer vehicle ordering system this morning, so expect we'll have the official detail on packages and options this week. One thing that is confirmed is availability of the F-Sport package on the GS450h for 2015.
Old 07-21-14, 07:17 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm seriously considering a smaller car, but if they offer Atomic Silver/Cabernet on the '15 GS F Sport I may just have to trade for the same car.
Old 07-21-14, 09:36 PM
georgee01
Rookie

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm seriously considering a smaller car, but if they offer Atomic Silver/Cabernet on the '15 GS F Sport I may just have to trade for the same car.
Atomic Silver is confirmed for the 2015 GS F-Sport